The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

I'm guessing this is a regular thing with this coach. So there's probably been some direction given to the officials about how to deal with this coach. It would be interesting to know what that direction is.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 02:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
Yeah, I certainly agree with you there, but managing the coachs is a part of "game management" as well. Not saying I would be looking for stuff, but I try to keep aware of the whole game, coaches included. Once again, just my opinion.
The operative word you mentioned is "try." And whether you or I like it, this was taken in a snapshot of a few games. We have no idea what took place before or after these clips were made. And many of the same clips were looped over and over again. So it is a good thing to believe you see everything with eyes in the back of your head, but I think unless he was doing it on the same side of the court you were actually officiating, it would be hard to take that position. I also did not say he should not be T’d up. I just said it was unlikely the officials saw a lot of this. And much of where he was standing was within the basic box.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The operative word you mentioned is "try." And whether you or I like it, this was taken in a snapshot of a few games. We have no idea what took place before or after these clips were made. And many of the same clips were looped over and over again. So it is a good thing to believe you see everything with eyes in the back of your head, but I think unless he was doing it on the same side of the court you were actually officiating, it would be hard to take that position. I also did not say he should not be T’d up. I just said it was unlikely the officials saw a lot of this. And much of where he was standing was within the basic box.

Peace
I agree with you totally.......but as I looked at the clips, there were a couple of instances that he was on the same side as the officials...but anyway, I guess you had to be in the game to see the whole thing....
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 02:43pm
Official & Member

I have to admit, I found him pretty entertaining. Other than pounding the scorers table at 1:45, I didn't really see anything that I thought would warrant an immediate T. Looked like most of his gestures and flailing were aimed at coaching his kids. He seemed to lay off the officials for the most part...maybe that was just the editing.

If nothing else, ya gotta admire his enthusiasm for the game.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge

Peace
Maybe it's just me, but I am more likely to hear a coach if I am working table-side. But I'm more likely to see a coach if I'm working opposite. If I'm table-side, but at the other end from the coach, my attention is turned away from, and my back towards, the coach. However, if I'm opposite, it's far more likely that I'll see through a play and notice the coach, no matter which end I'm at.

Just my $0.02