The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

NCAA - Geography Lessons Needed!!!

Okay I'm not here to debate who's in or who's out. (I'm a ref I don't care)

But can someone please inform the selection committee and all others associated with coordinating this tournament the following: In the future when you assign a team to a region of the country, that game should be played in that region.

My Evidence..... Mich. St./Temple, Pitt/Oral...South region.... N.D./GM.. East Region PLAYING IN DENVER??????

More....Purdue/Bay, Xav/Geo, W. VA/AZ, Duke/Bel in the West Region....All playing in that Western Capitol of WASHINGTON D.C.?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Finally, my favorite...Drake/W. KY, Conn/S.D., West Region...Clem/Vill, Vand/Siena Midwest region.....PLAYING IN TAMPA!!!!!!!!!! When did Tampa move to the west coast???? Also how did it become a bastion of the Midwest????? Did I miss a memo???

I realize that its about getting the best bang for their buck. They want to keep teams in the tourney for the revenue. No complaint, I hope to get some of that revenue someday. However, could we stop the masquerade and just rename the regions to better reflect the pairings.

My suggestions are.. ACC teams 1-3 that are going to beat on your team like a rented mule. Big East teams 7-12 that we just send so your team will feel a little better about itself until you get to our 1-6 teams.

I know they are a little wordy but maybe all of you will have better names than mine.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 11:08am
Esteemed Participant

That would be a great argument - 6 or 7 years ago. It was about then that the NCAA decided that the first and second round games would be held at certain venues that had nothing whatsoever to do with the Region the teams are assigned to...they did this for travel $$ reasons, for fan base reason, and most importantly for tv coverage reasons. So the first two rounds are not played at "regional" sites - the "regions" are just for the bracket purposes.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garote
I realize that its about getting the best bang for their buck. They want to keep teams in the tourney for the revenue. No complaint, I hope to get some of that revenue someday. However, could we stop the masquerade and just rename the regions to better reflect the pairings.
I know they are a little wordy but maybe all of you will have better names than mine.
Just think of it this way....the first two rounds are playing to get into the west regional, east regional, etc.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Wasn't it a couple of years ago they dropped the geographic moniker altogether, such as it was the Atlanta Regional, St Louis Regional, etc etc?

Looks like at least the regional sites are back to a geographic name, if in name only.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
That would be a great argument - 6 or 7 years ago. It was about then that the NCAA decided that the first and second round games would be held at certain venues that had nothing whatsoever to do with the Region the teams are assigned to...they did this for travel $$ reasons, for fan base reason, and most importantly for tv coverage reasons. So the first two rounds are not played at "regional" sites - the "regions" are just for the bracket purposes.
Correct. They call this the pod system.
It allows teams to play the first two games closer to home and then travel to the regionals should they advance that far in the tournament.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 03:21pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Finally, my favorite...Drake/W. KY, Conn/S.D., West Region...Clem/Vill, Vand/Siena Midwest region.....PLAYING IN TAMPA!!!!!!!!!! When did Tampa move to the west coast????
All a matter of perspective....Tampa has been on OUR west coast (of Florida) since it was settled by the Spanish, I believe.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
All a matter of perspective....Tampa has been on OUR west coast (of Florida) since it was settled by the Spanish, I believe.
Where was it before the Spanish settled it? Did they bring it with them from Spain?
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay I'm not here to debate who's in or who's out. (I'm a ref I don't care)

But can someone please inform the selection committee and all others associated with coordinating this tournament the following: In the future when you assign a team to a region of the country, that game should be played in that region.

My Evidence..... Mich. St./Temple, Pitt/Oral...South region.... N.D./GM.. East Region PLAYING IN DENVER??????

More....Purdue/Bay, Xav/Geo, W. VA/AZ, Duke/Bel in the West Region....All playing in that Western Capitol of WASHINGTON D.C.?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Finally, my favorite...Drake/W. KY, Conn/S.D., West Region...Clem/Vill, Vand/Siena Midwest region.....PLAYING IN TAMPA!!!!!!!!!! When did Tampa move to the west coast???? Also how did it become a bastion of the Midwest????? Did I miss a memo???

My suggestions are.. ACC teams 1-3 that are going to beat on your team like a rented mule. Big East teams 7-12 that we just send so your team will feel a little better about itself until you get to our 1-6 teams.

Whogivesa$h!t?

They were calling them by the cities where they played the Regional. It was confusing so they went back to East, South, etc.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 08:28pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Where was it before the Spanish settled it? Did they bring it with them from Spain?
The Gulf of Mexico had yet to be filled. It was just sand...so Tampa was actually part of ...Mexico