The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

KU vs. TTech paly (Travel or Not)

I saw a play in the KU/Texas Tech game that I thought would be whistle as a travel but wasn't. Here is my description -

Loose ball bouncing toward KU bench, K1 dives, secures the ball and slides.
He went from side to tuchus on the dive, then passed the ball to a teammate.
The bouncing ball was bouncing knee high or so.

I thought K1 secured a ball that wasn't on the floor, then essentially went to the floor and slid (travelled). Had the ball been rolling, I would have agreed with the official (no travel).

Is this mere judgement or am I missing something?
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Depends when he gained posession of the ball

As far as I know...it all depends on when he gained control of the ball. If he gained control before diving and then dove..Travel.... If he gained control AS HE WAS FALLING...then he is allowed to fall and slide as much as his momentum takes him....

As to him turning it also depends what he was actually doing and what his momentum was doing. If he fell then turned..Travell. If he was turning as he was falling and once again it was just a continuation due to momemntum then it is fine.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 02:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm

Is this mere judgement?...
Are you talking about your description of the play?
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I saw a play in the KU/Texas Tech game that I thought would be whistle as a travel but wasn't. Here is my description -

Loose ball bouncing toward KU bench, K1 dives, secures the ball and slides.
He went from side to tuchus on the dive, then passed the ball to a teammate.
The bouncing ball was bouncing knee high or so.

I thought K1 secured a ball that wasn't on the floor, then essentially went to the floor and slid (travelled). Had the ball been rolling, I would have agreed with the official (no travel).

Is this mere judgement or am I missing something?
My understanding of this situation is a ball on the floor can be secured via a dive and travel would be excluded until the players momentum stopped. But a ball not on the floor does not allow for sliding/rolling from momentum.

Now that I have the case plays -
A.R. 103.(3) Reads "Gains control of the ball while on the playing court". I presume "on the playing court" is direct at the player. Therefore diving for a bouncing ball and securing in the air would likely be a travel.

Am I correct in my understanding of this sitch. ( I don't care about the play even though TTech might have won if they only got a few calls )

Am I correct?

Last edited by SamIAm; Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 05:36pm.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 05:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
My understanding of this situation is a ball on the floor can be secured via a dive and travel would be excluded until the players momentum stopped. But a ball not on the floor does not allow for sliding/rolling from momentum.

Am I correct?
The rule is that a player who secures the ball while on the floor may continue his/her slide until it is complete. A player not already on the floor travels upon falling to the floor.

IMO, a player who secures the ball while in the air and then lands and slides has traveled. The location of the ball when this person secured it is not relevant.