The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Critical possession of the game. WVU up 2, without about 45 seconds left. Tech has repeated tip in tries, all missing, multiple player scrum underneath and the last rebound gets tapped out along the baseline. West Virginia player corrals the rebound at the sideline and calls timeout before falling out of bounds.

The announcers questioned the call and Clougherty's positioning, but the replay showed that Clougherty plainly got the call correct, in that the player's feet were in bounds.

But did anyone else hear an accidental whistle during the rebounding action just before the WVU player gained possession? It sounded as clear as day on television. One player seems to stop playing; they went quickly to commercial but there didn't seem to be much argument other than whether the WVU player got the timeout.

Did the inadvertent whistle get called, and the announcers just missed it? If the WVU player had possession, then it would be the same result and probably the same throw in spot. But I don't think the WVU player did have possession when I heard the whistle. So I guess the question is whether this would be an alternating possession situation.

One of the cases in the clarifications talks about inadvertent whistles during loose balls and refers to the ball being loose "in the vacinity of other players who are trying to secure the ball." That wasn't really this case. If there was an inadvertent whistle, the WVU player was imminently about to secure possession (and indeed did) with no other player in the vacinity. Alternating possession nevertheless?
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

I'm glad to see somebody else bring this up. I didn't TiVo the game, but on the replay I saw twice the whistle was as clear as it was the first time. I'm interested to read others' thoughts.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by bballrob
next time, Max and Ruby, Dora the Explorer, and Blue's Clues will get the DELETE!!!
Blue's Clues just hasn't been the same since Steve left for college.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
next time, Max and Ruby, Dora the Explorer, and Blue's Clues will get the DELETE!!!
LOL. Those of us with two year olds know what you are talking about Chuck.

Z
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
Did that guy leave for college, or did he drive himself off a cliff? I know that I would have gone crazy standing in front of a green screen all day and interacting with things that aren't really there. I don't know how he did it? BTW--Spongebob beats 'em all.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Yep, Joe just isn't the same.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 07:28pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by drothamel
Did that guy leave for college, or did he drive himself off a cliff? I know that I would have gone crazy standing in front of a green screen all day and interacting with things that aren't really there. I don't know how he did it? BTW--Spongebob beats 'em all.

I wish that my boys were still young enough to watch Sesamee Street, Mr. Rogers, Bill Nye the Science Guy, and The Magic School Bus. Now its MTV and Pimp My Ride. And even worse, by this time next year, the older one will have his driver's license.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 08:15pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Tivo upgrade

Quote:
Dammit, I deleted last night's games this morning to make room for tonight's recordings. next time, Max and Ruby, Dora the Explorer, and Blue's Clues will get the DELETE!!!
You should visit the tivocommunity dot com forums and investigate a hard drive upgrade so you never have to make the agonizing decision of Blue's Clues vs NCAA tourney!

Enjoy the games
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drothamel
I dunno. Jimmy Neutron is hard to beat.

Z