The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Kicked it most likely...

Saturday I think I completely blew a call....It was a bit of a strange play and I had a major mental lapse and even took a couple seconds after my whistle pondering what I was going to signal...I know this is one you had to be there to see it probably...

A1 goes up for a shot in the lane....B1 playing D, jumps with him and slaps him on his forearm, no body contact just a loud slap that was very visible.... A1 never released the ball and comes back down to the court with the ball still in his hands....

I whistled B1 for a shooting foul...B Coach wanted travel...

The contact on the arm was very obvious but as I sit here on Monday morning replaying this play...I'm trying to determine if the contact really prevented the shooter from releasing the shot (perhaps he couldn't continue his shooting motion so he just came back down with it) causing disad for the O...However, the shooter didn't react like he just got nailed and it didn't dislodge the ball from the shooter as he still had control of it when he returned to the floor so I'm thinking I just blew this one BAD!

Thoughts...
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 10:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
A1 goes up for a shot in the lane....B1 playing D, jumps with him and slaps him on his forearm, no body contact just a loud slap that was very visible.... A1 never released the ball and comes back down to the court with the ball still in his hands....

I whistled B1 for a shooting foul.

Thoughts...
Whatintheheck else could a slap on the the forearm of a player that's in the act of shooting be but a foul?

Simplest call in the world. You didn't kick dick-all. Sometimes you can self-analyze yourself to death, Doggie. Just call the game.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 10:57am
Courageous When Prudent

You observed A1 attempting a shot. You observed contact from B1 that you deemed worthy of a whistle & fist. You judged that B1's contact prevented A1 from releasing the ball. You awarded A1 two shots for a shooting foul.

What part do you think you messed up? I'm betting you blew your whistle right away, as soon as contact was made to the forearm? I'm betting you think you rushed this call and blew your whistle too early?
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 11:00am
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow

If you're really looking for some rationalization to justify your call, use this: A1 had begun the continuous action that normally leads to a shot. Therefore, he was a shooter and therefore it was a shooting foul.

Hey - I know it's not a perfect answer, but I said it was a rationalization.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Look at it another way: you said yourself that A1 went up for a shot in the lane. If B1 didn't interfere with the shot, then do you really think A1 would not have released the ball and just came back to the floor with it?

Agree that they don't get much simpler than this. I wish all my calls were this easy.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

i wonder what os would have said about this call, let me try:

yes you kicked it, a player must release the ball for there to be a shooting foul. you should have called an inadvertent whistle, gone to the arrow and charged both sides a time-out

just fun to wonder
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckref
i wonder what os would have said about this call, let me try:

yes you kicked it, a player must release the ball for there to be a shooting foul. you should have called an inadvertent whistle, gone to the arrow and charged both sides a time-out

just fun to wonder
HAHAHA! Now that is funny stuff right there!

Alright fellas...maybe I didn't kick it...Just seemed odd that the kid just came back down with the ball...I'm thinking, hell..., SHOOT the ball...coulda had a try for a 3-point play!
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 01:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
HAHAHA! Now that is funny stuff right there!

Alright fellas...maybe I didn't kick it...Just seemed odd that the kid just came back down with the ball...I'm thinking, hell..., SHOOT the ball...coulda had a try for a 3-point play!
Maybe he gave up because he knew he was fouled.