The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

The last thing I want to do is get into a debate about the rules, for me that's a losing cause. Carve me up guys!

This is what I found I thought was interesting:

YMCA RULES MANUAL
Disallowed Baskets
Examples of disallowed baskets are as follows:
a) When the whistle blows before the shooter releases the ball
b) When a player scores on an inbound pass
c) When the shooting team steps into the lane prior to the release of a free
throw (grades 6-9)
d) Offensive fouls
e) When the ball touches anything out of play
f) When there are too many players on the court

I'm just saying, what does this rule protect, what has happened in the past to make this an uncorrectable call? Why can't this be a judgement situation. Most fouls are judgement calls. We trust the Ref's to be able to make those calls, to me this should be a judgement call after conferring with their partner and considering the situation, then make their call, instead of referring to 10-1-6.

I can only go from the online rule book:
http://nfhs.eofficials.com/nfhs/case...=art&bid=39488

How does this case book situation have anything to do with the above situation. This is an end of the game scenario. End of the game is a lot different. Last play of the game. Not all situations are the same. But there is what makes sense.

PENTALTY: (Art. 6) Penalized if discovered while being violated.

Is there more to this somewhere. How can I derive " Results of any play before recognizing 6 players on the court, i.e. (fouls or scores) can not be correctable." out of that.

BillyMac

1) Funny, 2 officials, (1 on baseline, 1 at division line handing the ball), all players in clear view of both officials. After the score they "recognize" 6 on the floor.

After the timeout, if I as a referee did not count the players before start of play, and the opposing coach is yelling they have six players on the court, (Same coach who if he whispers "I can't believe he made that call" you can hear him), and right after they score I "realize" they did have 6 on the court, I have an out with 10-1-6. Oops, my bad.

2) Sorry, was just trying to be funny. I have alot of respect for good officials who take pride in what their doing.

3)"The disadvantaged team is allowed to select their best shooter, even if on the bench, and have him, or her, take two fifteen foot shots with no defenders anywhere near."

Sounds easy. Now all Team B needs to do is sink 2 FT with all eyes on him, just to get the ball back, otherwise they get the worst of it. A situation Team B did not create. They should actually penalize the offending team. Score disallowed because Team A had too many players on the court. Penalty: 2 FT and ball back at the division line. As a coach I know it is my fault if I have more than 5 players on the court. How can I argue that I didn't have an unfair advantage. Less arguements. Fair.

Last edited by teachingball; Mon Feb 25, 2008 at 12:30am.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 12:34am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Also, if you really thought someone had planned this, and done it on purpose, but they still managed to score before you discovered it, you could make a more severe penalty, right? More severe than just a team T? But the score would still stand?

What could possibly happen to make you think this? And what did you have in mind for a more severe penalty? And this is backed up by what rule?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 12:36am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachingball
YMCA RULES MANUAL
Disallowed Baskets
Examples of disallowed baskets are as follows:
a) When the whistle blows before the shooter releases the ball
So you can't call continuation in any way in Y ball? I don't like that at all. It's contrary to logic.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Different situation. First, I'd do some drug testing of both coaching staff's, I have never been involved with a too many players on the court situation that would last more than 1 play. Either coach is yelling "too many players" or the other is telling their player to get off the court. Stretch? Too extreme of an example.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 12:53am
We don't rent pigs

I'll try one more time. The officials did not realize the team had 6 on the floor when the basket was made, or they would have made the call before the basket was made. When a team has 6 players on the court, it is not always because too many came out after the timeout. A1 looks up from the bench and mistakenly counts 4 players. He realizes (incorrectly) that he should be in the game. He jumps up and runs onto the floor. Officials should make a habit of counting the number of players after the timeout, but, like anything else, this can be overlooked or a mistake can be made. When the official does see 6 on the floor, he will have no way of knowing when the extra player appeared.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Wow, sorry Ref.

I thought it was already established that I understand the ruling, I just don't agree with it, and I was just pointing out, what I feel is a rule that doesn't seem right. Doesn't make sense. You don't see my point?

I'm no longer asking the original question, but discussing the topic.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 01:12am
We don't rent pigs

Okay, I see your point. My point is you have not suggested an alternative to the rule as written.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 09:35am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
To be fair, I think he didn't mean to imply he wouldn't call it correctly. By "I don't agree with it" I think he meant he doesn't agree with the reasoning or philosophy of it....which is certainly within the rights of anyone of us.
Yeah but....

Why is he/she debating it with us? We didn't write the rule. I'd be more receptive to a statement like "I would think refs would be extremely diligent in ensuring 6 players aren't on the court b/c a team could get screwed."
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

This scenario happened Friday night (Feb 22) in a Class 5A game in the first round of the louisiana boys state playoffs. I went to the HL Bourgeois (Houma, LA) vs Southwood (Shreveport, LA) game as a spectator and here is the set up:

Three man crew (Baton Rouge, LA Association) Reff (R1) is a very senior guy, Umpire 1 (U1) is another senior guy and the third guy (U2) is a 2nd or 3rd year probably working his first Boys Playoff Game.

Southwood has the ball on their own baseline the inbounds spot is on the same side of their court as their bench, score is HL Bourgeois 68, Southwood 66, 1:36 left in the fourth. SW calls :30sec timeout, U2 administers TO at table, R1 has ball on the inbounds spot, U1 takes position on opposite lane during TO. Kid from SW checks in before the first horn, U2 acknowledges him. First horn sounds, SW and HLB take the floor, all ten players mingle and pass through U2 by the table. U2 counts 10 players then crosses the court to the C position, U1 comes up the floor to the trail in front of the table. As U2 leaves the table side, a kid from SW comes onto the court from the SW bench into the traffic of players heading to the baseline for the inbounds. U1/U2 do not see him and R1 is blocked by the players. SW sets up for their inbounds play, R1 looks at his crew, everything appears to be in order, R1 hands the SW player the ball and begins his count. the HLB coach is screaming 6 men on the court, the crowd picks it up and R1 blows his whistle. R1 and U1 count the players, realize that 6 SW players are on the court and then go to the table to confer. They rule official's correctable error, and because the ball was not inbounded, SW is allowed to take the extra man off and the HLB coach goes nuts because the ball was handed to SW for the inbounds and should have been considered "live." The R1 denies the HLB claim and the game is eventually won by HL Bourgeois, 75-68

It was a very crazy sequence of events
"Earl Strom is a throwback, a reminder of the days when the refs had colorful personalities, the days when war-horses like Mendy Rudolph, Norm Drucker, and a younger Earl Strom were called the father, the son, and the holy ghost.—Roy Firestone, sports commentator
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 11:08am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Reff
This scenario happened Friday night (Feb 22) in a Class 5A game in the first round of the louisiana boys state playoffs. I went to the HL Bourgeois (Houma, LA) vs Southwood (Shreveport, LA) game as a spectator and here is the set up:

Three man crew (Baton Rouge, LA Association) Reff (R1) is a very senior guy, Umpire 1 (U1) is another senior guy and the third guy (U2) is a 2nd or 3rd year probably working his first Boys Playoff Game.

Southwood has the ball on their own baseline the inbounds spot is on the same side of their court as their bench, score is HL Bourgeois 68, Southwood 66, 1:36 left in the fourth. SW calls :30sec timeout, U2 administers TO at table, R1 has ball on the inbounds spot, U1 takes position on opposite lane during TO. Kid from SW checks in before the first horn, U2 acknowledges him. First horn sounds, SW and HLB take the floor, all ten players mingle and pass through U2 by the table. U2 counts 10 players then crosses the court to the C position, U1 comes up the floor to the trail in front of the table. As U2 leaves the table side, a kid from SW comes onto the court from the SW bench into the traffic of players heading to the baseline for the inbounds. U1/U2 do not see him and R1 is blocked by the players. SW sets up for their inbounds play, R1 looks at his crew, everything appears to be in order, R1 hands the SW player the ball and begins his count. the HLB coach is screaming 6 men on the court, the crowd picks it up and R1 blows his whistle. R1 and U1 count the players, realize that 6 SW players are on the court and then go to the table to confer. They rule official's correctable error, and because the ball was not inbounded, SW is allowed to take the extra man off and the HLB coach goes nuts because the ball was handed to SW for the inbounds and should have been considered "live." The R1 denies the HLB claim and the game is eventually won by HL Bourgeois, 75-68

It was a very crazy sequence of events
HLB HC is correct in stating ball had become "live" (at disposal of thrower-in).
Old Mon Feb 25, 2008, 08:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

And never, never, as an official, say "it's my fault they had 6 players, coach."

And they don't have to live with the results once play has started. They have to live with the results once the play has been completed.