Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
You know, there is a lot of what if variables here. I see a situation where no one wants to make a decision. Who cares if the officials did not chop the clock. If there is a touch and I seen it and the clock did not start properly. I will blow the whistle to end the half, quarter or game.
and you would be right.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
As JR has gotten on to me time and time again let me say this. In HS your screwed!!! You can't do anything but give the team who's ball it is to them at the spot where it went out of bounds. You can't estimate time in HS because the NFHS does not give you the power to do so, unless you have definitive knowledge, right? To me, I do have definitive knowledge. It's definitive to any human with a brain that there should be time taken off the clock. Does that count?

Someone said visual count??? What visual count? The ball is barely skimmed by A2's hand (the way it sounds at least) and goes directly OOB. What count do you have?

To me, this is another "Doing what is right for the game" moments, with which common sense tells you there should absolutely be time taken off the clock, but that can't happen via rulebook. If I'm wrong about this and you can end the half, I sure hope that is the case.
I was the R at the C position...
I sold the "no time off the clock" to the Team A coach who wanted "some time" off the clock. I told him we didn't have any definite knowledge of time and some mumbo jumbo about the clock operator not starting it becuase of his "lack of reaction time". (I don't know where I pulled that one out of)

After thinking about it, later that night, I thought I could have sold it either way. If the clock operator had properly started the clock, on the touch, (even though the administering official didn't chop it) he couldn't have been expected to STOP it in less than 1 second. The ol' 1 second lag time rule.
Probably the way to go...and the way most officials that I have talked to would have done it...Half over.

Was hoping JR would have some input.
Richland, WA
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 07:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
Was hoping JR would have some input.
I had nothing to input, Doodie. Still don't really. You knew the rule. You called it correctly by existing rules. The rule sucks but we can't do anything about that. Unfortunately, sometimes we have to do things that we don't really agree with. This is one of 'em imo.

The only consolation that you have is that you know that if you had to hand in a post-game report, you could have justified the call.