The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   .6 seconds left (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41791-6-seconds-left.html)

RookieDude Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:59pm

.6 seconds left

.6 seconds left in a one point game...at the end of the 2nd quarter.

Team A has the ball at the endline going the other way. A1 throws the ball to A2 standing in the key at the other end...the ball is overthrown as A2 trys to catch the ball but is not able to. A2 does slightly touch the ball as the ball goes OOB. Lead blows the whistle and points for the ball to go to Team B.

Problem:

No time has run off the clock. The clock operator did not start the clock as he did not think A2 touched the ball. The clock operator was not watching the official that was administering the throw-in. (Did not really matter as that official did not chop the clock...he was not sure if A2 touched the ball)

You are the R...what do you do?

ace Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:14am

well - -the clock only start if the ball touched.

Go back to the spot that A1 was standing - B throw in.

RookieDude Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:30am

...the ball was touched.

just another ref Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:57am

Throw-in for Team B at the point where the ball went out. No correction can be made to the time unless an official started a count when the ball was touched and could positively say that the clock should have expired before the out of bounds violation.

blindzebra Mon Feb 11, 2008 01:12am

This is why you always have a "flick" count even if you don't need an official count.

The ball is touched, you get off one flick before your partner blows the whistle, quarter over.;)

just another ref Mon Feb 11, 2008 01:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra
This is why you always have a "flick" count even if you don't need an official count.

The ball is touched, you get off one flick before your partner blows the whistle, quarter over.;)

works for me

JugglingReferee Mon Feb 11, 2008 07:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude
.6 seconds left in a one point game...at the end of the 2nd quarter.

Team A has the ball at the endline going the other way. A1 throws the ball to A2 standing in the key at the other end...the ball is overthrown as A2 trys to catch the ball but is not able to. A2 does slightly touch the ball as the ball goes OOB. Lead blows the whistle and points for the ball to go to Team B.

Problem:

No time has run off the clock. The clock operator did not start the clock as he did not think A2 touched the ball. The clock operator was not watching the official that was administering the throw-in. (Did not really matter as that official did not chop the clock...he was not sure if A2 touched the ball)

You are the R...what do you do?

Go to half-time; my visual count was 1 second.

truerookie Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:59am

Touched; end of quarter

ace Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude
...the ball was touched.

Did you see a touch? In my initial reading of the post it sounded like no one was sure he touched the ball. We should never assume on the court, so if we're not sure, give him the benefit of the doubt and say he didn't touch the ball.

IF you for sure saw him touch the ball, then yeah, hit the whistle, announce you saw a touch and started a visual count, and then quater over. But if no one is sure he touched the ball then he didn't touch the ball.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one saw it fall, did the tree really fall?

truerookie Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace
If a tree falls in the forest and no one saw it fall, did the tree really fall?

How else did it end up on the ground? ;)

Dan_ref Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie
How else did it end up on the ground? ;)

FM?

;)

Mark Padgett Mon Feb 11, 2008 04:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace
In my initial reading of the post it sounded like no one was sure he touched the ball.

Then what did "A2 does slightly touch the ball as the ball goes OOB." mean in the OP?

btaylor64 Mon Feb 11, 2008 06:24pm

As JR has gotten on to me time and time again let me say this. In HS your screwed!!! You can't do anything but give the team who's ball it is to them at the spot where it went out of bounds. You can't estimate time in HS because the NFHS does not give you the power to do so, unless you have definitive knowledge, right? To me, I do have definitive knowledge. It's definitive to any human with a brain that there should be time taken off the clock. Does that count?:eek:

Someone said visual count??? What visual count? The ball is barely skimmed by A2's hand (the way it sounds at least) and goes directly OOB. What count do you have?

To me, this is another "Doing what is right for the game" moments, with which common sense tells you there should absolutely be time taken off the clock, but that can't happen via rulebook. If I'm wrong about this and you can end the half, I sure hope that is the case.

ace Mon Feb 11, 2008 06:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Then what did "A2 does slightly touch the ball as the ball goes OOB." mean in the OP?

But the official responsible for chopping the clock does not recognize a touch. As a crew we can only say time expired if we have definite knowledge that he touched the ball? If the OP saw a touch he should inform his partner of a touch, and say time expired by a visible count that he made.

If an official in the OPs postison doesn't inform his partner of the touch, then by rule you have to go back to the original spot and say B's ball.

truerookie Mon Feb 11, 2008 07:18pm

You know, there is a lot of what if variables here. I see a situation where no one wants to make a decision. Who cares if the officials did not chop the clock. If there is a touch and I seen it and the clock did not start properly. I will blow the whistle to end the half, quarter or game.