The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 03:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
I will revise my remark to say it should be the last time you work there.
1) Because it's unprofessional and, while it may enhance your self-esteem, had no other value.
2) Why would the school want you back? You think the HC or AD didn't get a call after you left?

Officials have enough trouble building reputations (individually and collectively), why add to the perception that we're jerks?
Do people not have a sense of humor? Don't you realize that you clearly don't have the entire story? Perhaps the guy is Dan's longtime friend or a fellow official or perhaps he really didn't say that. What person in his right mind would say to a random person "go fsck yourself" after a compliment, no matter how shallow?
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 03:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Do people not have a sense of humor? Don't you realize that you clearly don't have the entire story? Perhaps the guy is Dan's longtime friend or a fellow official or perhaps he really didn't say that. What person in his right mind would say to a random person "go fsck yourself" after a compliment, no matter how shallow?
I will give a great example of this. I worked a game recently where the coach of the home team had one of the officials working that game had this home team earlier in the season. The official and the coach knew each other for a long time considering the official has been around for 30 plus years and the coach has been around probably 20 years if not longer. Well during the earlier game the there was a play that involved a rule that had been changed recently and this officials screwed it up. The misapplication of the rule did not affect the game or change the outcome in any way from what I understand. When I got to the locker room before the game, there were signs all over the locker room with the "New Rule Revision" and the part of the rule highlighted that this official messed up. We had the biggest laugh about this before and even during the game.

During this same game, I had called an obvious illegal screen (player chicken winged a defender, hitting the defender in the stomach). All the home coach said to me was, "I bet on the next trip with have the same call on the other end." Then he said to me, "I will bet you a 20 on the next trip." Well nothing happened and there was not even another play that I can say was even close to an illegal screen the rest of the game. I approached the coach when the game was clearly decided and the said, "Coach, we did not have another play like you described, what do I get for being right?" He had the biggest smile on his face and got a kick out of the exchange. He later said, "I am looking for something to say, it call comes around at some point." This was one of the funniest moments of the year. And this coach is very intense but very fair to officials and a nice guy off the court.

You got to learn to laugh sometimes.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 03:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I will give a great example of this. I worked a game recently where the coach of the home team had one of the officials working that game had this home team earlier in the season. The official and the coach knew each other for a long time considering the official has been around for 30 plus years and the coach has been around probably 20 years if not longer. Well during the earlier game the there was a play that involved a rule that had been changed recently and this officials screwed it up. The misapplication of the rule did not affect the game or change the outcome in any way from what I understand. When I got to the locker room before the game, there were signs all over the locker room with the "New Rule Revision" and the part of the rule highlighted that this official messed up. We had the biggest laugh about this before and even during the game.

During this same game, I had called an obvious illegal screen (player chicken winged a defender, hitting the defender in the stomach). All the home coach said to me was, "I bet on the next trip with have the same call on the other end." Then he said to me, "I will bet you a 20 on the next trip." Well nothing happened and there was not even another play that I can say was even close to an illegal screen the rest of the game. I approached the coach when the game was clearly decided and the said, "Coach, we did not have another play like you described, what do I get for being right?" He had the biggest smile on his face and got a kick out of the exchange. He later said, "I am looking for something to say, it call comes around at some point." This was one of the funniest moments of the year. And this coach is very intense but very fair to officials and a nice guy off the court.

You got to learn to laugh sometimes.

Peace
I take my job on the court very seriously, but this isn't brain surgery. It's a game and everyone involved should have fun. Not my problem if the coaches don't see it that way. Nobody at my level is making big bucks - I recognize the dynamic is far different at higher levels.

We had a foul-fest last night and we called six fouls in the first two minutes, which is almost unheard of in a boys varsity game. Partner looks at me, looks at the scoreboard, looks back at me, laughing. I shrugged. It settled in, moreso in the second half.

Last edited by Rich; Sun Feb 10, 2008 at 03:37pm.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 03:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
I will revise my remark to say it should be the last time you work there.
1) Because it's unprofessional and, while it may enhance your self-esteem, had no other value.
2) Why would the school want you back? You think the HC or AD didn't get a call after you left?

Officials have enough trouble building reputations (individually and collectively), why add to the perception that we're jerks?
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 03:40pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
What person in his right mind would say to a random person "go fsck yourself" after a compliment, no matter how shallow?
Oh, the options. . .

1) Remember that we're talking about Dan_ref. "Right mind" is a big assumption.

or

2) I think you're underestimating Dan_ref. He's extremely shallow.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Oh, the options. . .

1) Remember that we're talking about Dan_ref. "Right mind" is a big assumption.

or

2) I think you're underestimating Dan_ref. He's extremely shallow.
Yeah you tell em!

hey wait what was that again??!