The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 11:20pm
Huck Finn

My one wish has come true for the tournament. Best talent, a zillion final fours and plenty of chokes! The best talent and supposedly the best coach......................I think not.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

I thought Duke had it. I have to call this a choke.

Duke's points down the stretch:
0.0 Duhon makes meaningless 3pt with no time remaining.
3:28 Duhon makes 2 FTs.
4:44 Ewing made 3pt shot.

If not for the last prayer, that would be 1 basket and 2 FT in the last 5 minutes. Not the way to win a championship.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

don't understand

I'm a big ACC fan and was hoping for an ACC final. Bizarre finish - I don't understand why Duhon wasn't "taking control" of the game for Duke. No baskets in the last 4 minutes; up 9 with 3:19. Two 3 point attempts by Deng that weren't close(what was he thinking?) and an 18' jumper that didn't go by Ewing. If they might have played better those last 4 minutes, someone might have posted some comments about the iffy "no call" when Reddick drove to the hoop and got hacked. No one to blame but themselves. Go TECH! Go ACC!
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

THE BIG EAST

Quote:
Originally posted by revref
I'm a big ACC fan and was hoping for an ACC final. Bizarre finish - I don't understand why Duhon wasn't "taking control" of the game for Duke. No baskets in the last 4 minutes; up 9 with 3:19. Two 3 point attempts by Deng that weren't close(what was he thinking?) and an 18' jumper that didn't go by Ewing. If they might have played better those last 4 minutes, someone might have posted some comments about the iffy "no call" when Reddick drove to the hoop and got hacked. No one to blame but themselves. Go TECH! Go ACC!
The Big East Rules!!!!

Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I thought Duke had it. I have to call this a choke.

Duke's points down the stretch:
I agree it was Duke's to lose. But I still thought that last shot was amazing. Why didn't they have that oompa-loompa a few seconds earlier?!?
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I should clarify. The shot was meaningless as far as determining the winner of the game, but a lot of $ changed hands out here when it went in!
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 03:04am
In Memoriam

Re: don't understand

Quote:
If they might have played better those last 4 minutes, someone might have posted some comments about the iffy "no call" when Reddick drove to the hoop and got hacked.
Someone did. You.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 03:12am
Official Forum Member

Re: don't understand

Quote:
If they might have played better those last 4 minutes, someone might have posted some comments about the iffy "no call" when Reddick drove to the hoop and got hacked.
I went back and watched this again on tape. Over and over. In the footage that the network showed for the re-play, Reddick was completely blocked from view just when the UConn player swung his arm and the ball came loose. But if one applies principles we've discussed in the past on this board, of analyzing the path of the ball to judge what probably happened, I'd say it was a clean "all-ball" swipe. The ball goes almost completely straight down, and the player also moved almost straight down, and parallel to the floor, most likely from trying to reach his hands toward the ball. The most the UConn player could have hit was one arm, but REddick's arms both remained exactily the same distance from the floor.

I'm not saying these kinds of deductions are how the ref made his decision -- he was in great position, unlike the cameraman. Looked like a good no-call to me.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 03:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
[/B]
I'm not saying these kinds of deductions are how the ref made his decision -- he was in great position, unlike the cameraman. Looked like a good no-call to me.

[/B][/QUOTE]Excellent analysis, Juulie. I nominate you to operate the taser on the announcers. Unfortunately, you're an official, so the fanboys would never accept your analysis either.
Old Sun Apr 04, 2004, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

[/B]
Excellent analysis, Juulie. I nominate you to operate the taser on the announcers. Unfortunately, you're an official, so the fanboys would never accept your analysis either. [/B][/QUOTE] Yea, and I definitely don't have the sex-appeal that Dales-Schumann seems to exude, so I wouldn't win any fanboys (or fanmoms) over that way. Also, although I'd LOVE to show up Billy Packer, I'm not sure I could actually inflict the kind of suffering a taser would involve.

I've been wondering about tutoring Billy Crystal in the rules details, and then having him do little outtakes here and there in a game. His sense of humor, and his wide appeal with the public would give him a credibility that I'm not sure anyone else could muster. Billy Crystal vs Billy Packer. Now THAT would be worth listening to!
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

gambling is getting more press

Quote:
Quote:

I should clarify. The shot was meaningless as far as determining the winner of the game, but a lot of $ changed hands out here when it went in!
Anyone see the little blip that ESPN did tonight on this shot? They stated that it probably made anywhere between $30M and $100M go from those who bet on UConn to those whose money was on Duke, since the line was UConn by 2.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

THANK GOD FOR CHRIS DUHON!! THAT ALL I NEED TO SAY.

ONE HAPPY GUY HERE!

MIGHTYVOL
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

big money shot

An ESPN article on the meaningless $ shot.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sport...ory?id=1775505
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Hey Julie... What are you talking about...Billy Crystal used to referee in the NBA

[Edited by ace on Apr 5th, 2004 at 05:26 PM]
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Duke is the only 1 seed to make the final 4. The line in their game was U-Conn by 2. They lose by 1. The conclusion is they choked?! Interesting.