The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

On the paid portion of this site Peter Osborne refers to the term “Big Dog” . . .

Peter’s direction in life these days is to “keep the big man down” and pull for the disenfranchised “little dog.” Pretty typical view of liberals based in our Nation’s Capital.

Peter refers to me by name in the article.

Carl Childress, in an editors notes, refers to “wannabe Big Dogs” . . . that is anyone who disagrees with the way Carl thinks umpiring should be done.

Many people on this website have taken shots at me over the years.

I have over the years given my view of “How It Outta Be” (with an apology to Rush Limbaugh) when umpires want to advance.

I have been identified as “The Arch Enemy of Little League Baseball”, an arrogant prick and many other colorful epaulets (ED: obviously should have been "epithets"- my bad!). That is not a concern to me. I am an umpire, I roll with punches.

I may advise not to dust of the pitcher’s plate during a game, not to recognize that assistant coaches even exist, or tell you to leave your partner on the field if he is “hanging around” trying to get that “Good Job, Blue” from one of the head Rats (oh yes, another issue PapaC takes umbrage with – the term ‘Rat”).

As the title of this post reads I just wanted to tell you about my game on Wednesday:

A game that all “Big Dogs” strive for.

I worked Wednesday two smaller Oregon High Schools. Of course one was the league leader and the “other”, well it was put this way by the Head Coach at the Plate meeting,

“Tim we have 10 soccer players that have formed this team . . . seven of them have never played organized baseball of any kind . . . and oh yea, three of them are girls.”

Yep, I am such a “Big Dog” that I worked my first game ever with players of the female gender.

The second baseman(person), the third baseman(person) and the right fielder were all members of the distaff side.

Interesting facts from the game:

F4, threw right and batted left. Was the lead off hitter and grounded back to F1 THREE times consecutively.

Once when F5 was at bat F2 for the visitor said to me, “Ump, this is the first time I ever wanted to ask a batter for a date!” And I saw why – full eye liner and lipstick.

F9 had never faced a curve ball before. When the defense found that out they threw her nine curve balls during her three at bats. All these pitches were mostly waved at weakly (much like I did when I was playing high school baseball) and after the third strike out (called) she said, “Thanks Mr. Ump, I didn’t really want to stand there anymore.”

F5, in her second at bat, was hit by pitch. After the game the pitcher that hit her said to his mom, “I gotta go apologize, she’s really cute!”

All three starters batted higher in the batting order than two boys and the lone sub was a boy.

So here, from my sexist view, was one of the most interesting games this “Big Dog” has ever worked.

“Big Dog” . . . yeah right Peter. Not even a “wanna be.”

[Edited by Tim C on Apr 15th, 2005 at 11:43 AM]
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
I have been identified as “The Arch Enemy of Little League Baseball”, an arrogant prick and many other colorful epaulets.
Does Honigs sell this style of shirt?

Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Wink

Tim,

I can't recall anyone ever referring to you as a shoulder ornament either.

JM
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

I'll have to go next door and read that article.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

GB

You better since you have equal billing.

-------------------------

Sorry about selection of the wrong word . . . darn thing went through spell checker also.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
On the paid portion of this site Peter Osborne refers to the term “Big Dog” . . .

Peter’s direction in life these days is to “keep the big man down” and pull for the disenfranchised “little dog.” Pretty typical view of liberals based in our Nation’s Capital.

Peter refers to me by name in the article.

Carl Childress, in an editors notes, refers to “wannabe Big Dogs” . . . that is anyone who disagrees with the way Carl thinks umpiring should be done.

Many people on this website have taken shots at me over the years.

I have over the years given my view of “How It Outta Be” (with an apology to Rush Limbaugh) when umpires want to advance.

I have been identified as “The Arch Enemy of Little League Baseball”, an arrogant prick and many other colorful epaulets (ED: obviously should have been "epithets"- my bad!). That is not a concern to me. I am an umpire, I roll with punches.

I may advise not to dust of the pitcher’s plate during a game, not to recognize that assistant coaches even exist, or tell you to leave your partner on the field if he is “hanging around” trying to get that “Good Job, Blue” from one of the head Rats (oh yes, another issue PapaC takes umbrage with – the term ‘Rat”).

As the title of this post reads I just wanted to tell you about my game on Wednesday:

A game that all “Big Dogs” strive for.

I worked Wednesday two smaller Oregon High Schools. Of course one was the league leader and the “other”, well it was put this way by the Head Coach at the Plate meeting,

“Tim we have 10 soccer players that have formed this team . . . seven of them have never played organized baseball of any kind . . . and oh yea, three of them are girls.”

Yep, I am such a “Big Dog” that I worked my first game ever with players of the female gender.

The second baseman(person), the third baseman(person) and the right fielder were all members of the distaff side.

Interesting facts from the game:

F4, threw right and batted left. Was the lead off hitter and grounded back to F1 THREE times consecutively.

Once when F5 was at bat F2 for the visitor said to me, “Ump, this is the first time I ever wanted to ask a batter for a date!” And I saw why – full eye liner and lipstick.

F9 had never faced a curve ball before. When the defense found that out they threw her nine curve balls during her three at bats. All these pitches were mostly waved at weakly (much like I did when I was playing high school baseball) and after the third strike out (called) she said, “Thanks Mr. Ump, I didn’t really want to stand there anymore.”

F5, in her second at bat, was hit by pitch. After the game the pitcher that hit her said to his mom, “I gotta go apologize, she’s really cute!”

All three starters batted higher in the batting order than two boys and the lone sub was a boy.

So here, from my sexist view, was one of the most interesting games this “Big Dog” has ever worked.

“Big Dog” . . . yeah right Peter. Not even a “wanna be.”

[Edited by Tim C on Apr 15th, 2005 at 11:43 AM]
When telling "war stories" no one will believe you. You better get sworn statements from the participants. LOL
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

We've had our disagreements but we always come around to finding the right answer to the question and we all move on. I guess some people have to carry a grudge to the grave - too bad for them.

By the way Tim, I've taken my medication and I feel better now so can I intrest you in a t-ball game?
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

I for one ALWAYS look for the threads that Tim has posted in, not that he or anyone else cares. I read what Tim and others have to say and decide for myself if I want to use it to become a better umpire. I have never met Tim but if he put a clinic on in the mid-west I would try my best to be there. Yes there are times when he is arrogant BUT who here hasn't been!
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Talking To the "T"

I, too, have actually learned quite a bit from Tim. His posts have been informative both from a rules point of view and about how umpires are perceived by certain actions. The only times I have lit into him were when he puts down other umpires because of the level of ball they do or organization they work for. For me, it was important to have the support of my fellow blues when just beginning in order for me to continue. It is tough enough on the field many times without having people that are supposed to be on the same "team" slamming you, too. However, given all the advice I have been given, there are two people that have helped me the most: the person who directly mentored me, and Tim C.

Striker
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Garth, I'm assuming that since you aren't a paying customer here, that you're going next door to the office of an associate who is a paying customer, and reading the article over his shoulder.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Lyle
Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Garth, I'm assuming that since you aren't a paying customer here, that you're going next door to the office of an associate who is a paying customer, and reading the article over his shoulder.
Do they now publish lists of paying subscribers? I was once told my Jim Flores that that would never happen. Even Carl, in the past, has said he doesn't have access to that information. Interesting. If what Mr. Flores said was true, no one here really knows the current status of my susbscription.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

That was certainly an amusing article. I feel so honored and unworthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Tee.

I see Peter has not lost his touch. I know of no one else who can take something he personally believes in and ridicule it to the rest of the world. That's talent.

I know Peter's writing is entertaining to his fans (I'm one) and internet newbies; but at times, and for one primary reason, it can beome tiresome. And that reason is this: Peter accepts the reality that immediately surrounds him as the reality for everyone else. Consequently he uses a brush so broad it requires at least two hands. This has been the only real source of our disagreements.

I have umpired in three states. In my reality, no one has been more eager to help new umpires than the D-1 "big dogs". They ran clinics, mentored and volunteered to watch umpires work games and provide them with evaluations. I have not had the priviledge of working with the selfish, self-important arrogant umpires that seem to populate Peter's area. I have not seen the big dogs holding the little dogs down by the throat.

I have never referred to myself as a "big dog". I have seen others do that and I have written to them suggesting otherwise. I am in the upper level of my association. I worked NCAA YEARS ago and now only on rare occasion act as an emergency fill in at that level. I am happy to be working varsity games, Legion and Adult Leagues at this point of my career.

For the past four year I have been a trainer, and evaluator in one association and a trainer and assignor in another. I work to help junior umpires move up. It's my job. My biggest sense of accomplishment these days is watching an umpire perform well at a varsity game who could barely stand behind the plate three years ago.

I have attended a number of clinics including those by Gerry Davis, Jim Evans, Dave Yeast and others. As are we all, I am a product of my experiences.

I do not brush off the pitcher's plate and I teach other umpires to act likewise. Does this make me a wannabe as Carl alleges?

Let's see: Carl ran a multi part interview with Jim Evans. Carl endorsed Jim, his various clinics and his teachings. I attended the Desert Classic, during which, on more than one occasion I heard instructors yell: "I don't care if you work Little League, High School, College or Pro, don't EVER clean off the rubber!"

But Carl now refers to those of us who practice what is taught at the camps he encouraged people to attend as "wannabes". Okay. As my grandpa used to say, "if that's the worse someone says about you, what a wonderful life you must have."

But overall, I did find the article entertaining, and, after all, that's Peter's job. However, it does give new meaning to his signature: HHH

Humorous, Hyberbolic and Hypocritcal.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2005, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Garth;

You are way too sensitive today. I was AGREEING with you and Tee in the article. Given the quote from Jim Evans regarding sweeping off the pitchers plate, I was agreeing with him too. Evans' brush was much broader than mine. He said never, never, never. I allowed as how it might be possible in a LL game.

You must have read the Editor's comments at the end of the article and seen RED! Go read the article again. My comments were complimentary of you and Tee. I said that you were trying to help posters on the board get ahead. I consider myself a big dog in the best sense of the word and that definition is the one that I used in reference to you and Tee.

Ask yourself this question. What would you think of an umpire who insisted on brushing off the pitchers plate even after being told not to do it? Even if he was good, would you recommend him for NCAA ball. If not, then you meet the classic definiton of big dog, just like me.

Peter
Old Sat Apr 16, 2005, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

What is unusual about f4, who threw right and batted left?
Old Sun Apr 17, 2005, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I hear ya Garth on the broad stroke. As the "little dog" refered to in the article, I am getting brushed over with that because I had an opinion on an issue. I neither consider myself a big dog or little dog really. I am an umpire period. I have called NAIA and D3 teams, I have no problem calling freshman and JV ball tho I limit as much as possible to the top schools in the area. I have called state playoffs in my 3rd year of calling varsity ball and am going again this year (my 4th). I also coordinate for a pre-K to 5th grade REC ball league and have no problems stepping on a field to call coach pitch or tee ball if needed. I currently have about 23 umpires that call for me and all but 4 are teenagers. I try to take time to not just assign, but to actually teach them how to umpire so that they will be excited about it and look to move up to higher level ball, especially when they graduate high school.

Am I big dog? Could care less. One thing I will never be is so cocky that I think I have nothing left to learn. I went to 3 clinics this year and plan on the same thing next year. But I walk on to any field with confidence and always call as good a game as possible. Do I call perfect games? No because no ever does. (Sorry Tim and Garth, it is true, you don't either. 8-) ) Oh and by the way, I have found myself not cleaning off pitching rubbers except 1 time, and I think it was a habit thing, since the discussion thread 8-o.

I also have a quote from Peter's article:
Why won't he help out?
Baseball is a complicated game of politics. The umpires and coaches are jockeying for position and status, like so many wolves in a wolf pack; big dogs, if you will. It's not just the professionals. I rarely see a high school head coach with a shovel, or any other groundskeeping instrument, in his hand. Ahhhh!

I mentioned this to a couple coaches in my area. They want to know where there are openings for baseball coaches in your area are. We have one of the largest schools in the nation in Broken Arrow, OK. The head coach there works on his field, as does pretty much every other coach in the area. They want to get in on this cushy life that those coaches up there have.

[Edited by cowbyfan1 on Apr 17th, 2005 at 03:21 AM]

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.