The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Unacceptable comment from coach...

Last night I'm working a 7th grade girls game. One team is white.. one is blue. White knocks ball out of bounds.. I signal.. and yell "Blue Ball".

Now... I get the humor, but when its appropriate. ... As I'm jogging to the other end of the court the coach of the white team say, "I get blue balls from time to time." and then he grabs himself.

I just shook my head and kept jogging. I've been kicking myself ever since. I think maybe I should have T'd him up. Its a GIRLS 7th grade game and he's making comments like that??...

Like I said... I understand he was trying to be funny, but.. not the time nor the place IMO.

What do you all think??

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
Last night I'm working a 7th grade girls game. One team is white.. one is blue. White knocks ball out of bounds.. I signal.. and yell "Blue Ball".

Now... I get the humor, but when its appropriate. ... As I'm jogging to the other end of the court the coach of the white team say, "I get blue balls from time to time." and then he grabs himself.

I just shook my head and kept jogging. I've been kicking myself ever since. I think maybe I should have T'd him up. Its a GIRLS 7th grade game and he's making comments like that??...

Like I said... I understand he was trying to be funny, but.. not the time nor the place IMO.

What do you all think??
Dear White Team Athletic Director:

Last night I'm working your 7th grade girls game. Your team is white.. one is blue. White knocks ball out of bounds.. I signal.. and yell "Blue Ball".

Now... I get the humor, but when its appropriate. ... As I'm jogging to the other end of the court your coach of the white team says, "I get blue balls from time to time." and then he grabs himself.

Signed Bearfanmike20
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What do you all think??

As long as he doesn't grab you.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

I certainly wouldn't T a coach for this. I personally would ignore it, but if you feel the need mention it in writing or face to face with the AD.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 11:25am
Official & Member

Who heard his comments and who witnessed his gesture? If it was just you, file it away in memory. If his team, other team, parents, or table heard or saw him, how could you not whack him? Totally inappropriate, especially in front of middle school girls.

Ever see Saturday Night Live episode with Merv the Perv? That's what this story sounds like.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 11:32am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

{snip}

What do you all think??
You could point in the direction that Blue is going and voice, "this way."

KIDDING!!!

Edit: I wouldn't T him, but I would ask him to be mindful of the present audience.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Just say, "Blue" and point the direction. Most coaches who think this guy is funny won't be able to extrapolate from "blue" to the dumb -- and not really very funny -- joke.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
Who heard his comments and who witnessed his gesture? If it was just you, file it away in memory. If his team, other team, parents, or table heard or saw him, how could you not whack him? Totally inappropriate, especially in front of middle school girls.

Ever see Saturday Night Live episode with Merv the Perv? That's what this story sounds like.

My officiating partner saw it, but they know each other and when I talked to him about it he said that he understood what I was saying, but that the guy was just joking around.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
if its still eating you after a night of sleep, write a respectful letter to the AD, then let it go.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Several years ago, while officiating a JVB game, ball goes OOB. I say loudly, "Blue Balls . . . ahem, I mean Blue's Ball!" A few smiles and chuckles and off we go. From that point forward I say a color. That is all.

As for the coaches comment . . . let it go. Next time it happens, kindly let the coach know that it offends you, if it does. Do I think it was inappropriate? Yes.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace
if its still eating you after a night of sleep, write a respectful letter to the AD, then let it go.

I talked to the AD last night. I let him know that one of his coaches made that remark, but I (conveniently) forgot which one.

I figured that would be a happy medium. The AD can generally adress the issue, but no body gets fired or punished.

Seems like a win win.

Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

In a situation like this, before reporting a coach to an AD I would consider finding an opportunity to talk to the coach. Letting the coach know that you get the humor but that it is inappropriate might do the trick. The coach could have simply made a dumb mistake and might even thank you for bringing it to his attention.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 04:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

"Sorry, coach. I'll talk to your wife about it next time she comes over."
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 05:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Maybe next time you have a game in that gym, you should bring this album and have it played during warmups.

Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Is this comment any less problematic to anyone if it happens in a boys game instead?