The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

ok, here is the scenario(hypothetical).
tie ball game, 14 sec. in the game. kansas vs duke
you are lead table side, ted valentine is trail, and john clougherty is slot.
kansas' best player is handling the ball and attempts a drive to the basket from between you and ted valentine clearly on strong side of the court. as he picks up his dribble he takes 2 steps and has the ball low in his mid section with both hands. the play develops and rolls to where you have a clear angle on the play. shane boozer(duke) swings up and hits the ball loose but the kansas player regains control high in his chest area. jon clougherty blows his whistle and calls a travel.
what would you do in this scenario?

be serious with your answer, and put some thought into it.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by crew
you are lead table side, ted valentine is trail, and john clougherty is slot.
kansas' best player is handling the ball and attempts a drive to the basket from between you and ted valentine clearly on strong side of the court. as he picks up his dribble he takes 2 steps and has the ball low in his mid section with both hands. the play develops and rolls to where you have a clear angle on the play. shane boozer(duke) swings up and hits the ball loose but the kansas player regains control high in his chest area. jon clougherty blows his whistle and calls a travel.
what would you do in this scenario?

be serious with your answer, and put some thought into it.
I think you're asking this:

C calls a travel on A1 but L clearly saw the ball was batted
loose by B1 before the violation. The play was solidly in the L's area. What should the L do?

Serious, thoughtful answer:

Earlier this season I had a similar situation and I did not
correct it, or even question it until later in the locker
room. I like to think next time this happens I would huddle
with my partner and discuss immediately. I suspect my
partner would tell me that he saw the travel clearly and the
call would stand as is 99 out of 100 times.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 05:21pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

I get the ball for the throw-in going the other way, glance at both partners, and the table to see who wants a time-out.
mick
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 07:36pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

I get the ball for the throw-in going the other way, glance at both partners, and the table to see who wants a time-out.
mick

Excellent and correct way to handle this situation. The evaluator will make a note of it in his game report to the officials and the conference suppervisor. You will aslo discuss it in your post-game meeting with your partners.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
tony,

I think I agree with mick and Mark on this. I'm going to get the game going again and save any discussion of this play for the locker room. (Especially since this is apparently my 1st D1 game! )

Chuck
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I think I agree with mick and Mark on this. I'm going to get the game going again and save any discussion of this play for the locker room. (Especially since this is apparently my 1st D1 game!
I agree totally. If John's got a travel, I've got a travel.

BTW, it's Carlos Boozer, not Shane Boozer.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
BTW, it's Carlos Boozer, not Shane Boozer.
I knew something wasn't quite right with crew's post! Carlos Boozer, Shane Battier - so apparently this is in a dream because Shane Boozer doesn't play for Duke.

I'm going to say that I must have missed the travel that did occur and go with the call as made by the C.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
you are lead table side, ted valentine is trail, and john clougherty is slot
You didn't need to add the word "hypothetical" if you put me in with these guys! The only sentences that precede this situation are simply ludicrous.

"A crew with an 85-year old veteran, an 87-year-old hack, and a 65-year-old grandma? Sure!! No problem!!"

Alternatively,

"We are going to bring up a 45-year-old woman who has only done JV, because that "motherly" instinct makes the boys feel so much more relaxed and at home on the floor!!"

Or, "Oh, no, the woman that was supposed to work tonight has sprained her ankle in the parking lot; this game needs 'the woman's touch' and you are the only experienced ref who lives near the Rose Garden. Could you dash down here and fill in this evening?"
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
You didn't need to add the word "hypothetical" if you put me in with these guys! The only sentences that precede this situation are simply ludicrous.

"A crew with an 85-year old veteran, an 87-year-old hack, and a 65-year-old grandma? Sure!! No problem!!"

Alternatively,

"We are going to bring up a 45-year-old woman who has only done JV, because that "motherly" instinct makes the boys feel so much more relaxed and at home on the floor!!"

Or, "Oh, no, the woman that was supposed to work tonight has sprained her ankle in the parking lot; this game needs 'the woman's touch' and you are the only experienced ref who lives near the Rose Garden. Could you dash down here and fill in this evening?"
i dont get it
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Alternatively,

i dont get it
Hey, here's a good one. Okay, so, you're the bus driver and you head out from the barn in a 45-seater on route 35. Now at the first stop, 5 people get on. There's no one at the next stop but at the third stop, 3 people get on....
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Crew --

sorry, I'm feeling a little giddy this morning. It must be from all the great 6th grade agems this weekend.

I was just hypothesizing what rationale would put ME, a 45-year-old housewife with 3 years reffing experience, on the same crew with Ted Valentine and John Clougherty. Hypothetical is the only word that could describe the situation!!
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 01:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Hey, here's a good one. Okay, so, you're the bus driver and you head out from the barn in a 45-seater on route 35. Now at the first stop, 5 people get on. There's no one at the next stop but at the third stop, 3 people get on....

Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Close enough. The way my dad told it the answer would be either "blue, brown or hazel."
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 05:16pm
In Memoriam

Oops!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Close enough. The way my dad told it the answer would be either "blue, brown or hazel."

I meant hazel
Old Mon Feb 18, 2002, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

here is what i would do.
since i had definate knowledge that the ball became loose because of the defensive player a trveling violation is not possible. i would immediately approach the calling official and say, "i have information to add." i then would say, "i am 100% sure the defense knocked the ball loose therefor he could not have traveled." i now would allow him to make the decision to stick with the travel or go inadvertent whistle. if he chose to stay with the travel i would say, "i will take full responsibility for the play." if he still wants to go with the travel then there is nothing more i can do to get the play correct.

the important issue here is to get the play right. this is what i would do in this situation and would be very disappointed in myself if i did not have the balls to step up and do all that i can to get the play correct.