The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyc8037
after A1 made his lay-up, he twisted as he landed, fell off balance and then, (after falling himself and prescribing to all laws of gravity) struck the official. I have heard from several officials on this call with a vast different degree of opinions. From; "you always give a "T" when any player touches an official" to; "you muster consider intent, demeanor and situation", to; "If it's accidental ignore", to "Always eject". If it ever happens to me, (it did once during a MS game but I was able to "catch" the player and stop him from hitting the floor) I'd like to ensure that I make the right call, or, no call as I cannot find a similar case play or situation.

according to my 1971, Seniors Edition, with student handbook, Websters Dictionary, the first definition of strike (present tense of struck) is to hit intentionally. The sixth definition of strike is to merely come in contact with. Was the contact intentional? I agree with those who have said, 1)never and always are seldom correct and what is the officials side of the story.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
There is only one "r" and no space between the g and R.

Edit: This case interested me because I once witnessed a game once where a referee did cause a player injury: the official was way out of position and took a player down with him, resulting in crutches for the player.

In the OP, it says that A1 was airborne when he hit the official. This is, always has been, and always will be the officials fault.
Should there not be an apostrophe.

Still disappointed in your first response. OP's original version, sounded a little convoluted. I agree, officials need to be in correct positions, not only to view the play, but also not to get in the way of the players.

After reading the the OP, I was just not so easily convinced to go against the official as you did.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 02:00pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref
Should there not be an apostrophe.

Still disappointed in your first response. OP's original version, sounded a little convoluted. I agree, officials need to be in correct positions, not only to view the play, but also not to get in the way of the players.

After reading the the OP, I was just not so easily convinced to go against the official as you did.
You're totally correct - and I saw that I missed the apostrophe - well after my post was complete. I try to limit my posts during working hours.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't that one of the first things you learn as an official... right after "dont keep the whistle in your mouth on the jump ball"

"NEVER retreive the basketball. Always have a player do it for you."

Reguardless of the malice I put that part of it on the ref. He has no way of knowing for sure unless the player said or did somthing to indicate that. His job was to go report the foul. Not pick up the ball.

Just my 2 pennies.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
You're totally correct - and I saw that I missed the apostrophe - well after my post was complete. I try to limit my posts during working hours.
You're too funny.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 04:20pm
This IS My Social Life

Better things to take care of

"Bending down picking up the ball upon calling the foul?" Why? That might have been part of the problem.
This might be off topic, but I see too many officials "going to get the ball" after a call. The ball is not the priority. Observing the players, reporting the foul, and confirming the next point of making the ball live is the priority.
Let the players get the ball. There's more important things to do.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref
Stop listening to those who say "Always eject" and "Always T".
No kidding.... that about sums it up....