Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
You cannot quote silence.

For this level I might not have done that, but I will not criticize anyone that took such action. Good for your partner.

Peace
For this level you might not have done that?! If your going to toss someone for this this is exactly the level you do it at. If you don't the players may think that that sort of thing is acceptable.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 02:56pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Nope, it wasn't him. This was a Portland area team. BTW - if this had happened in my local kids rec league, this guy would have been suspended for life - or longer!
Whew, glad to hear it. Now I don't have to call Mom and Dad!!
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

I would have talked to the coach before giving him the hook. I agree that we can't have those type of instructions being issued by a coach. I think he could have given a direct T and gotten out of it just fine too. Either way, I am sure this coach learned a lesson.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

If nothing else, penalize this with a flagrant using 2-3-1.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 03:33pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
Well I must say I have never heard of anything remotely close to this, unbelievable. I certainly would see why someone would want a individual like this out of their game. By the letter of the law (sort of speak)I just can't find where the rules support a Flagrant Technical for his comments.

In a 8th grade game, why not. If its a varsity game I just don't think the rules support it. Whack him!!! Let him know why loud enough for the players to hear. Let the players know anything close to a punch being thrown would be ejection from this game and they would have to sit the next.

He can't be charged for fighting or leaving the bench during a fight. Which would be the only Flagrant Technical options. Fighting being defined in Rule 4-18

Art. 1 An attempt to strike, punch or kick an opponent with a fist, hands, arms, legs or feet regardless of whether contact is made.

Art.2 An attempt to instigate a fight by committing an unsporting act TOWARD an opponent that CAUSES AN OPPONENT TO RETALIATE BY FIGHTING.

IMO I think your only option here is to tag him with the following...

FED Rule 10-4 Bench Technicals Art 1 c. Using profane or inappropriate language or obscene gestures.

Sure the rules support the official's actions in the OP, whether it is an 8th grade game, H.S. varisty game, or a Div. I game. This kind of conduct should never (my apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley; my 2nd apology of the day to J. Dallas) be condoned. If anybody complained I would back my partner up all the way to hell and back.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Fri Jan 11, 2008 at 10:37pm.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Sure the rules support the official's actions in the OP, whether it is an 8th grade game, H.S. varisty game, or a Div. I game. This kind of conduct should never (my apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley; my 2nd apology of the day to J. Dallas) be condoned. If anybody complained I would backed my partner up all of the way to hell and back.

MTD, Sr.
No matter what I would back my partner up!!!

NEVER, NEVER leave your WINGMAN!!!!

I can see in a 8th grade game, MAYBE in a Varsity game, but not @ all in any level NCAA game. ( I don't think this would ever happen @ the High school Varsity or NCAA levels anyway.)

If I eject a coach for a comment they made to a player I'm losing games. It's not nothing @ the DI level to hear coaches dropping the "F" bomb to their players. (Could be defined as vulgar language)

As I said I don't have a problem with tossing this 8th grade coach. Hopefully the officials turned him in and he's done coaching. My part in this discussion was to make sure we were supported in the rule book. Maybe it could be maybe it isn't.

IMO I'm not ejecting a coach for the comment @ the Varsity or NCAA level. I'm "WHACKING," making sure everyone understands why, talking to my partners & playing on.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
I think he did absolutely the right thing.
I agree.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 04:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Hopefully the officials turned him in and he's done coaching.
Unfortunately, there's no one to whom to "turn him in". All these teams are independent and just contract for their games. I know a lot of the parents heard him, so maybe they'll do something about it. Probably not, though.

I reminded my partner to report it to our assignor, but all he can do is maybe give a heads up to guys who will have this team in the future. I doubt I'll get them again because he usually assigns me to boys games. What was weird was that I knew lots of parents and kids from the home team, which is based in my town. In fact, the scorekeeper is also the treasurer of our rec league. She has another kid who plays in that organization. She was shocked when she found out what happened and said if her daughter was the target and got punched, she not only would be on the phone to her lawyer, but her husband, who was in the stands, would make a soprano out of that coach. Cool. That I'd like to see.

Last edited by Mark Padgett; Fri Jan 11, 2008 at 04:51pm.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 05:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I can see in a 8th grade game, MAYBE in a Varsity game, but not @ all in any level NCAA game. ( I don't think this would ever happen @ the High school Varsity or NCAA levels anyway.)

IMO I'm not ejecting a coach for the comment @ the Varsity or NCAA level.
OH? Ever heard of what happened to John Chaney at Temple when he sent a player out to get another player?

Grow some balls and take care of bidness. That's my opinion.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Another parent yelled the same thing to his son playing against mine last weekend in a third grade game...great role models.

Last edited by mj; Fri Jan 11, 2008 at 05:48pm.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 05:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj
Another parent yelled the same thing to his son playing against mine last weekend in a third grade game...great role models.
So what did you do? I know what I would have done.

Please don't tell us you just let it pass.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
So what did you do? I know what I would have done.

Please don't tell us you just let it pass.
Unfortunately, I did not hear it during the game. I must've been too busy coaching. The story was relayed to me long after the game was over. Apparently, this started some words amongst the other parents though.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
OH? Ever heard of what happened to John Chaney at Temple when he sent a player out to get another player?

Grow some balls and take care of bidness. That's my opinion.
I forgot about this thanks for the friendly reminder...OH, and I appreciate the. "Grow some balls," statement. That was a very intelligent adult thing to write (IMO)!!!

Go back and read my posts. I never said to not take care of "bidness" (business). If fact I would still be "whacking" this coach for the comment just not tossing. Again I'm not assessing a Flagrant T for a comment to a player that requires ejection. IMHO Bench Technical is what would be allowed by rule for a comment that doesn't instigate a fight or initiate a fight!!! ( Thats as far as my business degree will allow me to go!!!)

Different story if the ball is in play and coach says, punch him, player punches him. Flagrant personnel on player & Flagrant T on the coach. (Again because the action happened & the coach initiated it, a fight.)

The reason Chaney got suspended was due the severity of the fouls of Ingram, and that Chaney admitted to telling him to do what he did in his press conference!!!

If Ingram never committed the fouls then there would've been no suspension the mere fact he said to do it doesn't become a problem unless he does it. The bench "T" lets him and his players know you heard it and its not going to happen. Assess the Bench "T", talk to your partners, get it in the book and play on.

The calling of the Bench Technical will require a call to your supervisor. Make the call when you leave and explain what happened. The supervisor would then take it up with the conference and they would take it from there. (Taking care of BIDNESS!!!)

I attached the links to the story and box scores.

http://sjuhawks.cstv.com/sports/m-ba...022205aaa.html

http://sjuhawks.cstv.com/sports/m-ba...022205aaa.html
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 09:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
OH, and I appreciate the. "Grow some balls," statement.
That was, and is, my opinion. Like it or not.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Being that the coach left without a peep, he meant it in the harshest way and he knew it.