The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Technical Foul Definitions

In an NCAA rules (W) game, what warrants and ejection of the coach on technical fouls.

The rulebook states 2 direct fouls, 1 direct and 2 indirect, or 3 indirect.

The question is, when is a technical foul indirectly assessed to the Head Coach.

In a game recently, the opposing team compiled 3 total techs. One on the coach, and 2 on the players.

Now this wasn't realized by the officiating crew, and wasn't discovered until well after the game that this may have resulted in the ejection of the coach. Rule 10-2-12 states:

EJECTION: All technical fouls from section 3 (player/substitue technicals) and 4 (Bench Technicals) shall apply toward ejection when the following have been assessed. 'see above'. When the foul is charged to the offender (if not the head coach) as a direct technical foul, it is also charged as an INDIRECT technical foul to the head coach. When the head coach is the offender, the foul is charged directly to him.

Now since the coach had one already, and the players each received direct techs, and according to the excerpt: When the foul is charged to the offender (if not the head coach) as a direct technical foul, it is also charged as an INDIRECT technical foul to the head coach., is this grounds for ejection.

It is too late now since the game is well over, but if it is indeed grounds for ejection, should it also be reported to the conference for the mandatory 1 game suspension to be handed out?

I thought this would be the best place to ask such an intricate question
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

This is a bit confusing since Rule 10 was completely reworked for the NCAA Women only. In fact they have since came out with a bulletin to further explain and correct some of the wording of the penalty section.

EJECTION: All technical fouls from Sections 3 (Player/
Substitute Technicals) and 4 (Bench Technicals) shall apply
toward ejection when the following have been assessed: a
maximum of two DIRECT technical fouls, a combination of
one DIRECT technical foul and two INDIRECT technical
fouls or three INDIRECT technical fouls.

This is referring to the combination of indirect/direct that the player/substitute can get before ejection

When the foul is charged to the offender (if not the head coach) as a direct
technical foul, it is also charged as an INDIRECT technical
foul to the head coach. When the head coach is the offender,
the foul is charged directly to him.

This section is referring to Bench Technicals that are being charged directly to the bench personnel. If it charged directly to bench personnel other then the Head coach then they are also charged indirectly to the Head Coach which would also count toward ejection

You were taking the penalties out of context and reading it as one entire penalty.

Player/Substitute "T's" are charged only to the player/Substitute. Bench "T's" are charged directly to the bench personnel and indirectly to the head coach.

So if there were 2 player "T's" they wouldn't count toward ejection to the Head Coach unless those players were bench personnel when the "T" was called.

So if the Head Coach got 1 Direct "T" & then 2 bench players got "T's" then the coach should've been ejected. If the players weren't bench personnel then they wouldn't count toward the coaches ejection.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Pardon me for trying to get it right and trying my best not to sound dumb :P

But just to clarify: Player/Substitute refers only to the five on court players? While the players on the bench are considered 'bench personnel'?
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve33
Pardon me for trying to get it right and trying my best not to sound dumb :P

But just to clarify: Player/Substitute refers only to the five on court players? While the players on the bench are considered 'bench personnel'?
Player is 5 on the floor and substitute is the substitute coming in the game.

Art. 12. A substitute entering the playing court without reporting to the
scorers or without being beckoned onto the playing court by an official
(unless during an intermission).

Bench personnel are all of the personnel on the bench.

I'm going to post a link that I hope you can open...

https://www.eofficials.com/ESO_Repos...men%20Only.pdf

This is the bulletin that came out earlier in the season with corrections.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
Player is 5 on the floor and substitute is the substitute coming in the game.

Art. 12. A substitute entering the playing court without reporting to the
scorers or without being beckoned onto the playing court by an official
(unless during an intermission).

Bench personnel are all of the personnel on the bench.

I'm going to post a link that I hope you can open...

https://www.eofficials.com/ESO_Repos...men%20Only.pdf

This is the bulletin that came out earlier in the season with corrections.
Wow, that section really did indeed need to be re-written. Unfortunatly as a NJCAA school we weren't notified of such a drastic change. Thank you very much for this clarification. I'm glad I didn't say anything during the game because the way it was written in the book I would've for sure told the officials to eject the coach
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

I agree that the clarification is good! In defense of the rule book, most of us know what the penalty/ejection section was saying and what & how it was meant to be enforced.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree that the clarification is good! In defense of the rule book, most of us know what the penalty/ejection section was saying and what & how it was meant to be enforced.
Yes, but not all are quite so in tune with the book. We have encountered endless times where the officials are told by the opposing head coach (on the road) NOT to honor the electronic media timeouts. Which of course leaves us in the dust with our sponsors for our radio/tv. Not quite the same situation, but it leaves us irked all the same
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, but not all are quite so in tune with the book. We have encountered endless times where the officials are told by the opposing head coach (on the road) NOT to honor the electronic media timeouts. Which of course leaves us in the dust with our sponsors for our radio/tv. Not quite the same situation, but it leaves us irked all the same
a. There must be paid advertising present to be able to use the electronic media timeout format stated in Rule 5-13.4 and Rule 5-13.5.

b. When there is no paid advertising present, the electronic media timeout format stated in Rule 5-13.4 and Rule 5-13.5 may not be used.

Art. 4. In games involving electronic media (i.e., radio, television, or
Internet audio or visual broadcast), when the electronic-media format calls
for at least three electronic-media timeouts in either half, the following shall
be in effect: (TELEVISION, RADIO OR INTERNET AUDIO OR VISUAL
BROADCAST MUST BE PRESENT TO USE THIS ELECTRONICMEDIA
TIMEOUT FORMAT.)
a. When television is employed, there shall be four electronic-media
timeouts in each half. These electronic-media timeouts shall occur at
the first dead ball after the 16-, 12-, 8- and 4-minute marks when the
game clock is stopped.
1. The first timeout requested by either team in the second half shall
become the length of a timeout called for by the electronic-media
agreement.
2. When the first timeout requested by either team in the second half
is granted and creates the first dead ball after one of the 16-, 12-,
8- or 4-minute marks, the electronic-media timeouts for those
specified times shall occur after the next dead ball.
Note: For NCAA Division I tournament games, the men’s or
women’s Division I basketball committee may make the first
team-called timeout in both halves an electronic-media timeout.
b. When radio or Internet audio or visual broadcast is being used,
electronic-media timeouts shall occur at the first dead ball after the
16-, 12-, 8- and 4-minute marks or after the 15-, 10- and 5-minute
marks, when the game clock is stopped, depending on the electronicmedia
agreement.
1. The first timeout requested by either team in the second half shall
be 75 seconds long or longer when called for by the electronicmedia
agreement.
2. When the electronic-media agreement calls for fewer than three
electronic-media timeouts in one half, these electronic-media
timeouts shall occur at the first dead ball after the minute marks
specified by the electronic-media agreement.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
a. There must be paid advertising present to be able to use the electronic media timeout format stated in Rule 5-13.4 and Rule 5-13.5.

b. When there is no paid advertising present, the electronic media timeout format stated in Rule 5-13.4 and Rule 5-13.5 may not be used.

But does that still give the home team the ability to veto the timeouts? We have paid advertising, yet there are places which either don't allow or just don't understand the concept of the media timeouts.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But does that still give the home team the ability to veto the timeouts? We have paid advertising, yet there are places which either don't allow or just don't understand the concept of the media timeouts.
I'm not sure. I would think this is something you should take up with your conference or the game management of the game your going to before you go.

The way I read it is if you have paid advertisement present then you should fall under either Radio/TV media formats.

As officials we really never have to worry about this other then if the coach requests media T/O's and they don't have paid advertisement available.

Try checking with your conference office or contacting the NCAA.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not sure. I would think this is something you should take up with your conference or the game management of the game your going to before you go.

The way I read it is if you have paid advertisement present then you should fall under either Radio/TV media formats.

As officials we really never have to worry about this other then if the coach requests media T/O's and they don't have paid advertisement available.

Try checking with your conference office or contacting the NCAA.
And my last question, before wearing out my welcome, is a little bit on the lighter side. I read that the shot clock has to be recessed behind the backboard. I've seen a fair share of shot clocks that just kind of hang right above the basket, and sometimes cause an automatic out of bounds. Now I have no problem really where they place their shot clocks, but since it's against the rules, should we be entitled to two free throws? (Yes it's a long shot, but hey, rules are rules, right? )