The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS football rules; resolving tied games. 5-1-2 2nd paragraph: " When the defensive team gains possession of the ball, the down and series immediately end for the offensive team" and 8-1: "If the defensive team scores a safety or touchdown,the game is ended"

After reading the interpetation 5.1.2A & 5.1.2B how can the defensive score a touchdown ?
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Very highly unlikely but....if A had committed a boat load of penalties and were somehow backed up to their own goal line and fumbled in the field of play and the ball was forced into their own endzone by their force and B fell on it, then it would be a TD for B.

In NJ rules, the ball doesn't become dead when B gets the ball on a turnover. It remains live and B could score which isn't far fetched.
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
Very highly unlikely but....if A had committed a boat load of penalties and were somehow backed up to their own goal line and fumbled in the field of play and the ball was forced into their own endzone by their force and B fell on it, then it would be a TD for B.

In NJ rules, the ball doesn't become dead when B gets the ball on a turnover. It remains live and B could score which isn't far fetched.
Like he says, very highly unlikely! lol But you never know, it could happen so its gotta be in the ruleobok.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Highly unlikely, but if it wasn't in the book... what would you do when the son (grandson?) of Jim Marshall took the handoff and went 90 yards the wrong way for a safety?
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: As ljudge said, here in NJ we use the NCAA procedure (1-10 from B's 25; B can score on a turnover). It's important to remember that each state can devise its own procedure for dealing with ties, including having no procedure at all if they so choose.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

PA uses NFHS overtime rules. It would be more understandable if the rules book stated the defense could not advance a fumble or interception. One of the more respected members of my Association believes that a fumble or interception could be advanced as long as it didn't begin in the endzone. For example: B intercepts at the 3yl. 97 yard return and B gets 6 points. It's rare we have OT games. WH's usualy bring this up at halftime when a game looks like it might end in a tie.
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 04:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge

A fumbled ball in the field of play could be put into the end zone by a new force by B. B covers, it's a safety.
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

A fumbled ball in the field of play could be put into the end zone by a new force by B. B covers, it's a safety.

This play has always been one of my pet peeves in overtime, even though its not likely to happen. If B recovers this ball, while standing, he can try to advance it out of the endzone during regulation time. However if he recovers it in overtime its a safety even if he could physically advance it out of the endzone, since by rule its dead. Have always wanted the rule changed to "the ball being dead when B posesses it in the field of play." Or else use the same rules we do in regulation.

[Edited by WVREF on Oct 30th, 2004 at 03:43 PM]
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WVREF

This play has always been one of my pet peeves in overtime, even though its not likely to happen. If B recovers this ball, while standing, he can try to advance it out of the endzone during regulation time. However if he recovers it in overtime its a safety even if he could physically advance it out of the endzone, since by rule its dead. Have always wanted the rule changed to "the ball being dead when B posesses it in the field of play." Or else use the same rules we do in regulation.

[Edited by WVREF on Oct 30th, 2004 at 03:43 PM]
REPLY: I agree with you. Once B's force puts the ball into his end zone, he's pretty much dead...unless A fouls. Personally, I like the NCAA OT procedure which allows B to gain possession and play until the ball becomes dead by rule. More exciting and more like real-game situations.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like in FED, B's only out is to "accidentally" put new force on the ball to get it out of the endzone without actually possessing it or illegally batting it.

Reason 135,263 of why I like our rules better than FED.... but that's just me.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Sounds like in FED, B's only out is to "accidentally" put new force on the ball to get it out of the endzone without actually possessing it or illegally batting it.

Reason 135,263 of why I like our rules better than FED.... but that's just me.
REPLY: It's not just you!
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Highly unlikely, but if it wasn't in the book... what would you do when the son (grandson?) of Jim Marshall took the handoff and went 90 yards the wrong way for a safety?
I think his name is Corrigan.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Jim Marshall's grandson's name is Corrigan?
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Jim Marshall's grandson's name is Corrigan?
As in Douglas "Wrong-way" Corrigan, the pilot who flew from NY to Ireland claiming he got lost on his way to L.A.