The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Overtime (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40914-overtime.html)

PIAA REF Wed Jan 09, 2008 02:31pm

Overtime

In a varsity game Overtime is 4 minutes in length. According to the rule book (NF) games below varsity are to play half of their quarter. In Pennsylvania I have always seen 3 minute overtimes in sub-varsity games however according to NF rules this would be incorrect for JV and 9th grade games. They should be 3:30 because of using a 7 minute quarter. Has there ever been any information from the state about making it 3 or is it just done incorrectly. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

truerookie Wed Jan 09, 2008 02:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIAA REF
In a varsity game Overtime is 4 minutes in length. According to the rule book (NF) games below varsity are to play half of their quarter. In Pennsylvania I have always seen 3 minute overtimes in sub-varsity games however according to NF rules this would be incorrect for JV and 9th grade games. They should be 3:30 because of using a 7 minute quarter. Has there ever been any information from the state about making it 3 or is it just done incorrectly. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

Most likely it's directed by the state you go with 3 minutes.

Gimlet25id Wed Jan 09, 2008 02:34pm

I'm from Indiana so our sub varsity games all have 6 minute quarters. We don't have to worry about your OP.

There was some discussion in regards to your question on a thread yesterday...

http://forum.officiating.com/showthread.php?t=40871

bob jenkins Wed Jan 09, 2008 02:37pm

Quote:

Thanks

Maybe it's being done under the "a quarter can be shortened by the mutual agreement of the coaches" rule

bigbeardedbryan Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:41pm

PIAAREF, our district interpreter here in northwestern PA instructed me personally that a JV overtime (for 7-minute regulation quarters) was to be 3 minutes long. Not sure where he got the information from, but it was made clear that JV and other subvarsity games use 3-minute overtime periods.

BktBallRef Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:50pm

Quote:

Thanks

I'm afraid you're mistaken. That's not what the rule book says. The rule book says that the playing time for games for HIGH SCHOOL AGE players is 8 minutes. It says nothing about varsity or junior varsity. HS is 9th to 12th grade.

Below 9th grade plays 6 minute quarters, which result in a 3 minute OT.

So there is no NFHS rule that calls for 7 minute quarters. If that's being done, then the PIAA is doing it. And if they're doing that, I guess they can make whatever decision they want about OT.

truerookie Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
HS is 9th to 12th grade.

Below 9th grade plays 6 minute quarters, which result in a 3 minute OT.

So there is no NFHS rule that calls for 7 minute quarters. If that's being done, then the PIAA is doing it. And if they're doing that, I guess they can make whatever decision they want about OT.

It got to be the guidance given by the state. In my area 9th grade is 7 minutes. state by-law; with overtime being 2 minutes for all games played in less than eight minute quarters.

So, maybe the state have a by-law governing this.

Adam Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:54am

Here, all hs games are 8 minute quarters. Back in Iowa, JV games were 7 and ms games were 6. Here, ms games are 9 minute running clock quarters. AAU games are ms and 8 minutes quarters.

Rich Thu Jan 10, 2008 09:51am

Here it's done on a conference by conference basis. I don't work subvarsity anymore, so all I know is I'm thrilled when they play 7 minute quarters as we usually start on time.

Always 4 minutes for OT here in HS games. The state really laid into the officials last year when they put 5 minutes on the clock in (I believe) a playoff game.

mj Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN
The state really laid into the officials last year when they put 5 minutes on the clock in (I believe) a playoff game.

Ouch....details??

Nevadaref Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN
The state really laid into the officials last year when they put 5 minutes on the clock in (I believe) a playoff game.

And justly so. That's inexcusable for postseason officials. :(

Rich Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
And justly so. That's inexcusable for postseason officials. :(

No argument from me. Some officials don't want to discuss overtime, but overtime procedures are part of my standard pregame in basketball and in football. If we don't cover it then and the game is close, we cover it at halftime.

Rich Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj
Ouch....details??

Don't have them, but usually word of mouth like this is accurate. I just shook my head.

It may just as well have been late in the regular season, but I think it was in an early round of the postseason.

chartrusepengui Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:47am

I was once told that "good officials" never let it go to OT. I guess I am not a good official.:D