Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 10:36am
Lighten up, Francis.

Btw. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
WTF?!?!?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

I had a very similar situation. I called a foul, reported it properly and went on with the game. 5 minuts later the scorer waves me over and said who was that last foul on? I couldn't remember and neither could my partner. Visiting book didn't have it either.

I said well just give it to the kid on the bench with 0 fouls. Scorer said nope, not gonna do it. Foul totals all added up, just no idea who that one foul was on. This pissed me off cause it was his screw up in the first place and now he's become defiant.

What do you do for this 7/8 grade game?

I know what I did was not correct but A. I didn't know what was correct. B. with my way the totals are correct and the foul didn't hurt anybody.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Had it happen once - went onto court and asked who got the last red foul. I told them there was a problem at the scorers table. Kid fessed up right away. Took the # and made sure it was recorded. No more problem.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
I understand where your coming from if your working with very young kids like it sounds like you are. Nothing wrong with ignoring minor violations @ that level. Anyways most of the time the families are just there to watch the kids participate.

I haven't really worked with very young kids in a while. When I did I would make sure to take the time to explain to the kids & coaches what they did wrong in hopes of helping them to understand what not to do the next time.

I mis understood what you were implying by lower level games. I think once these kids get to the age/grade where their more competitive then it is up to us to enforce the rules the same across the board. Doing so respects the players/coaches/fans & the game.
Message boards have the habit of not communicating the message, due to a variety of reasons.

I'll work just about any level if I feel like it and have no ego doing these games. I have an assignor who has been good to me, and I've helped him last minute with emergencies at lower level HS games.

Years ago when I first started, I had a partner for two freshmen boys games.

Turns out he reffed briefly in the NBA and had been a D1 official. He's good friends with the assignor and basically just does a few dates during the reason. It was a blast to work with someone that smooth.