View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Team foul but ? which player...

I had a sitch in one of my games Saturday that I am curious about...

Shooting foul: As I move off baseline to report, 32 walks in front of me....I report red 32, give illiegal hands signal for the hit on the arm ...then look back and realize that I think I said the wrong number, turned to look at both players and still think it was red 35....I then changed my call to the table.

Table clock operator (parent from red team) tells me 35 was on the other side of the lane and couldn't have made the shooting foul, it was 32. I said, no 35, he is the one that hit #4 on the arm during the shot....He insists it was 32 and that I was absolutely wrong.

Now I'm a little concerned but I was sure it was 35 and I accidentally said 32 cause he walked in front of me.....So I confer with my partners about what I saw, reported and what the table gave me as info....I told them I was sure it was 35 but wanted to be sure ...they didn't have anything to offer to contradict what I saw and they said they were fine with my call...

After the game, another official tells me if this ever happens and the official is not sure that you can mark it as a team foul and not charge a player.....Is this correct and is there any provision for it in the case book?

I ask because it was 35's 5th foul during a very good, close game. I wanted to get clear on handling that. Perhaps I was wrong...it's not a big deal, but I want to get things correct......Red won the game in OT by the way...