The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Moving Screen? (Block)

Freshman Girls. In transition, A1 is outside the 3 point arc, top left guarded by B1. A2 transitions into high post FT line with defender B2 between her and the basket. A1 gets around B1 and is driving to the basket. A2, facing A1 the whole time, slides down the lane with hands out for a pass all the way to the bottom block, but the slide prevents B2 from getting around her for help side D. A1 makes a lay up.

I did not judge the intention of A2 to prevent B2 from helping, so I passed on it. Coach B disagreed.

It happened twice in the course of 2 minutes and I passed both times. The post player has a right to move down the lane, but can she block the defender? There are several times a defender may want to get past a post player to help, and I have called block when the post player was clearly hindering the defender.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
If she is in position first and she does not hold the defensive player (or extend herself outside her cylinder) I don't see how this could be an error by the offensive player.
If she is there first, she has all right to run infront of the defensive player (within her cylinder) even though this means the defensive player can't get to the ball.
If a defensive player where blocking the part of the offense (they are there first sliding and being in the way) is that a defensive foul? I'd say no
I think you made the right (no)call
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 12:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

First off I would like to suggest that you get away from using the terminology of "moving screen." For one a screen that is moving is not "automatically" illegal and unless there is contact it is not illegal at all.

Secondly as a philosophy I will not call an illegal screen if the player that is being screened does not try to "fight through the screen." Or better yet, if the screened player knows there is a screen coming and they just give up on continuing their normal path and there is slight contact, I probably would pass on such play. I would rather call the play where a screen knocks the player off stride or clearly bumps them out of the way when the screen is completely illegal.

It sounds a little like the screened player just gave up and did not pursue their route and you passed. If that is the case there is not much of a reason to make a call because you would have 50 illegal screens a game if that was the way it went down.

Always keep this in mind, coaches complain because they are hoping that you will give them a break and call what they are seeing. It does not mean they are valid complaints or that you really missed anything. They are usually saying something so you will call something in their favor. I have yet to think of a time that a coach got upset at you when you called something in their favor. So what the coach thinks is really not relevant to what you saw.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo96
Freshman Girls. In transition, A1 is outside the 3 point arc, top left guarded by B1. A2 transitions into high post FT line with defender B2 between her and the basket. A1 gets around B1 and is driving to the basket. A2, facing A1 the whole time, slides down the lane with hands out for a pass all the way to the bottom block, but the slide prevents B2 from getting around her for help side D. A1 makes a lay up.

I did not judge the intention of A2 to prevent B2 from helping, so I passed on it. Coach B disagreed.

It happened twice in the course of 2 minutes and I passed both times. The post player has a right to move down the lane, but can she block the defender? There are several times a defender may want to get past a post player to help, and I have called block when the post player was clearly hindering the defender.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Did A2 and B2 have any contact? Was that contact illegal, according to screening principles described in the rule and case book?

There's no such thing as an "obstruction" call in basketball, where the one player can't just get in the way of another player. In fact, obstructing another player legally is a HUGE part of basketball and is taught and encouraged. It does have to be done legally, but that isn't the same as being entirely illegal.

In your play, it sounds as though it was legal, and not because of A2's intentions, either. Doesn't matter what she was thinking. If she didn't push or hold B2, or cause other illegal contact, then she didn't foul.

Because of your vocabulary and the description of your thinking process, it sounds like you might be thinking of soccer where I think "obstruction" of the player can be illegal if the "obstructor" isn't "playing the ball".
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the feedback.

JR, I understand a moving screen is not a foul by definition, just using the common verbiage. note "block" in title, just trying to make the topic clear, but point taken.

The point about contact is well received, and while that is properly the reason I didn't make the call, I didn't think it through, during the game nor when posting.

The only reason I mentioned the Coach was because she got me to thinking about the situation. I agree, her complaints should not affect my call/no-call.

Rainmaker... No soccer background, just coincidence.

Thanks again!
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 03:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

JR, I understand a moving screen is not a foul by definition, just using the common verbiage. note "block" in title, just trying to make the topic clear, but point taken.

The point about contact is well received, and while that is properly the reason I didn't make the call, I didn't think it through, during the game nor when posting.

The only reason I mentioned the Coach was because she got me to thinking about the situation. I agree, her complaints should not affect my call/no-call.
I would say it is better to use the term "illegal screen" because a screen can be illegal and completely statonary. Because what is the coach going to say to you when you have a stationary screen and you call a foul properly for not giving the proper time and distance?

I also do not know if you were really considering the complaints from the coach. I was just point out that their complaining does not mean they are even close to correct about what actually happen.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thoughts? Thanks.
My thoughts are what has intent got to do with it?

If the screener is moving in the same direction as the defender, there is no foul. This is a moving screen as defined in rule 4 and is legal.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

I've got a foul IF
  1. A2 is moving in any direction other than directly away from B2
  2. AND the B2 is trying to get to A1 (no advantage if B2 is not trying to defend)
  3. AND there is contact that makes it more difficult for B2 to get to A1
The direction A2 is facing doesn't matter.
The intent of A2 doesn't matter.