View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 12:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

First off I would like to suggest that you get away from using the terminology of "moving screen." For one a screen that is moving is not "automatically" illegal and unless there is contact it is not illegal at all.

Secondly as a philosophy I will not call an illegal screen if the player that is being screened does not try to "fight through the screen." Or better yet, if the screened player knows there is a screen coming and they just give up on continuing their normal path and there is slight contact, I probably would pass on such play. I would rather call the play where a screen knocks the player off stride or clearly bumps them out of the way when the screen is completely illegal.

It sounds a little like the screened player just gave up and did not pursue their route and you passed. If that is the case there is not much of a reason to make a call because you would have 50 illegal screens a game if that was the way it went down.

Always keep this in mind, coaches complain because they are hoping that you will give them a break and call what they are seeing. It does not mean they are valid complaints or that you really missed anything. They are usually saying something so you will call something in their favor. I have yet to think of a time that a coach got upset at you when you called something in their favor. So what the coach thinks is really not relevant to what you saw.

Peace