The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

common foul or shoot two?

Girls varsity game. A1 is driving towards the basket along the baseline. A2 is facing the end line "screening" the defense. B1, in attempting to get to A1 to stop (or block) the shot, knocks A2 in to A1 as A1 is releasing the ball for a shot. The contact is hard enough that A1 has to leave the game. We gave A1 (actually, the replacement for A1) two free throws. Now, I think we should have just given A the ball for a common foul (A was not in the bonus).

Your opinions?
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Push on B1. No FTs. Although B1's action may have resulted in A2 hitting A1 in the act of shooting, her foul was against A2 for pushing through the screen.

Mregor
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

You could have A2 shooting 2 FTs if you deemed the push an intentional act.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 11:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Remember to still allow the shooter to have continuous motion when appropriate. So the basket would count if it goes in and the foul still would be administered on the player that is fouled.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 11:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
You could have A2 shooting 2 FTs if you deemed the push an intentional act.
Or sufficiently (excessively) hard.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg144
Girls varsity game. A1 is driving towards the basket along the baseline. A2 is facing the end line "screening" the defense. B1, in attempting to get to A1 to stop (or block) the shot, knocks A2 in to A1 as A1 is releasing the ball for a shot. The contact is hard enough that A1 has to leave the game. We gave A1 (actually, the replacement for A1) two free throws. Now, I think we should have just given A the ball for a common foul (A was not in the bonus).

Your opinions?
Strangely we get this same question every few months. I still haven't figured out why people struggle with it.
The only person who can be awarded FTs is the player who was fouled by an opponent. (Only exception is a technical foul.)
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Strangely we get this same question every few months. I still haven't figured out why people struggle with it.
The only person who can be awarded FTs is the player who was fouled by an opponent. (Only exception is a technical foul.)
I believe the NBA has a funky rule that the shooter shoots a FT if another offensive player gets fouled during continuous motion or into the shooter.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
I believe the NBA has a funky rule that the shooter shoots a FT if another offensive player gets fouled during continuous motion or into the shooter.
That's true. So are you saying that people struggle with this on the HS/NCAA level because they watch too much NBA TV? I would have never thought that.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

I'd never had a play like this and I guess I did not process it correctly. At the time it seemed correct, but as the game went on, I began to realize it didn't seem right. Now, I'm kicking myself for doing the wrong thing.

I probably won't see the coach again this year (they aren't on my schedule again) unless I'm a replacement. I'm not against telling a coach when I've missed a call, but I don't think I should go out of my way to contact a coach to admit a mistake. I'm sure I'll see him next year and if I remember, I'll tell him then.

Other than that one screw up, it was a great game.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg144
I probably won't see the coach again this year (they aren't on my schedule again) unless I'm a replacement. I'm not against telling a coach when I've missed a call, but I don't think I should go out of my way to contact a coach to admit a mistake. I'm sure I'll see him next year and if I remember, I'll tell him then.
Others may have a different take, but I would hardly ever revisit an issue like that unless he brings it up.

I don't get into enough "friendly" chit-chat with coaches before the games that it would make sense to say "hey, remember last year when I had that blah blah blah call? Yeah, I blew it and you were right."

It's just not how I like to work the game, and many coaches wouldn't even remember it anyway.