The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Simultaneous Common and Intentional

I had this situation last week in girls 6th grade league. Both teams are in bonus. My partner calls a foul on B1 on a rebound attempt. As my partner is whistling, I see A2 push B2 with both hands in the back away from the play. I called intentional foul on A2. We had A1 shoot 1 and 1, then B2 shoot 2 at the other end. Then we gave ball to team B at centerline opposite table. Was this right?

What if it was not called intentional, and therefore called a double foul? No shots and POI, which would have been AP?

What if it was "more" after my partner called his foul, and I considererd it a dead ball hence a T on A2? I think this situation would need to be administered the way we administered it. Right?
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRef
I had this situation last week in girls 6th grade league. Both teams are in bonus. My partner calls a foul on B1 on a rebound attempt. As my partner is whistling, I see A2 push B2 with both hands in the back away from the play. I called intentional foul on A2. We had A1 shoot 1 and 1, then B2 shoot 2 at the other end. Then we gave ball to team B at centerline opposite table. Was this right?
You got the administration almost correct, but it's not a simultaneous foul, because the fouls are of unequal "intensity". I'd call it a false simultaneous in my head, but not out loud. After all the shots, the ball does not go into play at the centerline, but nearest the spot of the intentional foul.

Quote:
What if it was not called intentional, and therefore called a double foul? No shots and POI, which would have been AP?
It wouldn't be a double foul. Ever. That's because the fouls weren't committed by opponents against each other. But you would have the penalty part correct.

Quote:
What if it was "more" after my partner called his foul, and I considererd it a dead ball hence a T on A2? I think this situation would need to be administered the way we administered it. Right?
Right, in this case, the ball would go into play at the division line.

Last edited by rainmaker; Fri Oct 12, 2007 at 09:07am.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 09:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If the 2nd foul was an intentional, you should have put the ball in play at the spot nearest that foul.

Had it been a technical, what you did would have been correct.

And rainmaker is right, this is a false double all the way no matter what kind of fouls you call on A2.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
If the 2nd foul was an intentional, you should have put the ball in play at the spot nearest that foul.

Had it been a technical, what you did would have been correct.

And rainmaker is right, this is a false double all the way no matter what kind of fouls you call on A2.
Wait a minute, I didn't say it would be a false double, only that it wouldn't be double. It couldn't be a false double, could it?
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Wait a minute, I didn't say it would be a false double, only that it wouldn't be double. It couldn't be a false double, could it?
Sounds like a false double foul to me. The second one occured before the clock started following the first. But don't get hung up on the terminology. Just assess them in order and all is well.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 09:30am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I vote false double.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Just assess them in order and all is well.
Yea, I figured that out a long time ago. Doesn't matter what the verbiage is.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 09:59am
certified Hot Mom tester

You were right. Your partner's whistle made the ball dead, so the first foul was a personal, the second a technical (intentional or flagrant contact during a dead ball). You cannot "combine" them. Administer them separately in the order in which they occurred.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
You were right. Your partner's whistle made the ball dead, so the first foul was a personal, the second a technical (intentional or flagrant contact during a dead ball). You cannot "combine" them. Administer them separately in the order in which they occurred.
What wasn't clear to me was whether or not they were judged to have been simultaneous or if his partner's call was clearly first...that would make the difference of whether or not this was a T or just an intentional foul (ball live vs. dead)....only affects the inbounds (and whether or not the kid gets their first T), other than that the administration was correct...
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 10:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
What wasn't clear to me was whether or not they were judged to have been simultaneous or if his partner's call was clearly first...that would make the difference of whether or not this was a T or just an intentional foul (ball live vs. dead)....only affects the inbounds (and whether or not the kid gets their first T), other than that the administration was correct...
It also affects who is allowed to shoot the free throws.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
It also affects who is allowed to shoot the free throws.
of course and that is actually a good point in this case. if they forced the kid who was fouled to shoot the ft's then you are making the assertion that it was an intentional foul (non-technical), so you would have the throw-in at the nearest spot...if you went opposite table on the throw-in then you must have been asserting that it was a technical foul (unless that WAS the nearest spot which it doesn't sound like it was), in which case you should have asked for a shooter...
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 11:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:

If both fouls occurred at approximately the same time, you would have simultaneous personal fouls. If so, it doesn't matter whether one of the fouls was intentional or not. There's no FT's and you go to the POI. Rules 4-19-10, 7-5-3(b), 10-6PENALTIES1(d) and 4-36. As it's on a rebound attempt, the POI is an AP(rule 4-36-2(c).

If you rule that the fouls didn't occur at approximately the same time, you have a false double foul and you penalize the fouls in the order that you called them. In this case, you would have a personal foul, followed by an intentional technical foul.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 11:07am
In Memoriam

Quote:
You got the administration almost correct, but it's not a simultaneous foul, because the fouls are of unequal "intensity".
Rules citation?
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You got the administration almost correct, but it's not a simultaneous foul, because the fouls are of unequal "intensity".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Rules citation?
I guess I don't have anything to give here. I don't see anything that tells positively either way. Looking through the book, it's a little iffy, seems to me. You're saying (from this q and from your previous post) that an intentional personal and a common personal foul are equal, and off-set? I'd disagree with that, but I'd go with it if I could see it clearly in the book, but I don't. Although I don't see anything that would disagree with it, either.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess I don't have anything to give here. I don't see anything that tells positively either way. Looking through the book, it's a little iffy, seems to me. You're saying (from this q and from your previous post) that an intentional personal and a common personal foul are equal, and off-set? I'd disagree with that, but I'd go with it if I could see it clearly in the book, but I don't. Although I don't see anything that would disagree with it, either.
I think JR is right on here, I just followed down the path I was lead...7.5.3 doesn't differentiate between what type of foul occurred, it just says that if it is a simultaneous foul then you go to POI...fouls are either personal or technical (with a subset of each), if you have either simultaneous personal fouls or simultaneous technical fouls you go POI...you can't have a simultaneous personal/technical foul so no need to worry there....