The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   common foul or shoot two? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40700-common-foul-shoot-two.html)

daveg144 Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:09pm

common foul or shoot two?

Girls varsity game. A1 is driving towards the basket along the baseline. A2 is facing the end line "screening" the defense. B1, in attempting to get to A1 to stop (or block) the shot, knocks A2 in to A1 as A1 is releasing the ball for a shot. The contact is hard enough that A1 has to leave the game. We gave A1 (actually, the replacement for A1) two free throws. Now, I think we should have just given A the ball for a common foul (A was not in the bonus).

Your opinions?

Mregor Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:13pm

Push on B1. No FTs. Although B1's action may have resulted in A2 hitting A1 in the act of shooting, her foul was against A2 for pushing through the screen.

Mregor

blindzebra Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:16pm

You could have A2 shooting 2 FTs if you deemed the push an intentional act.;)

JRutledge Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:21pm

Remember to still allow the shooter to have continuous motion when appropriate. So the basket would count if it goes in and the foul still would be administered on the player that is fouled.

Peace

Adam Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra
You could have A2 shooting 2 FTs if you deemed the push an intentional act.;)

Or sufficiently (excessively) hard.

Nevadaref Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveg144
Girls varsity game. A1 is driving towards the basket along the baseline. A2 is facing the end line "screening" the defense. B1, in attempting to get to A1 to stop (or block) the shot, knocks A2 in to A1 as A1 is releasing the ball for a shot. The contact is hard enough that A1 has to leave the game. We gave A1 (actually, the replacement for A1) two free throws. Now, I think we should have just given A the ball for a common foul (A was not in the bonus).

Your opinions?

Strangely we get this same question every few months. I still haven't figured out why people struggle with it.
The only person who can be awarded FTs is the player who was fouled by an opponent. (Only exception is a technical foul.)

blindzebra Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Strangely we get this same question every few months. I still haven't figured out why people struggle with it.
The only person who can be awarded FTs is the player who was fouled by an opponent. (Only exception is a technical foul.)

I believe the NBA has a funky rule that the shooter shoots a FT if another offensive player gets fouled during continuous motion or into the shooter.

Nevadaref Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra
I believe the NBA has a funky rule that the shooter shoots a FT if another offensive player gets fouled during continuous motion or into the shooter.

That's true. So are you saying that people struggle with this on the HS/NCAA level because they watch too much NBA TV? I would have never thought that.;)

daveg144 Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:27am

I'd never had a play like this and I guess I did not process it correctly. At the time it seemed correct, but as the game went on, I began to realize it didn't seem right. Now, I'm kicking myself for doing the wrong thing.

I probably won't see the coach again this year (they aren't on my schedule again) unless I'm a replacement. I'm not against telling a coach when I've missed a call, but I don't think I should go out of my way to contact a coach to admit a mistake. I'm sure I'll see him next year and if I remember, I'll tell him then.

Other than that one screw up, it was a great game.

jdw3018 Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveg144
I probably won't see the coach again this year (they aren't on my schedule again) unless I'm a replacement. I'm not against telling a coach when I've missed a call, but I don't think I should go out of my way to contact a coach to admit a mistake. I'm sure I'll see him next year and if I remember, I'll tell him then.

Others may have a different take, but I would hardly ever revisit an issue like that unless he brings it up.

I don't get into enough "friendly" chit-chat with coaches before the games that it would make sense to say "hey, remember last year when I had that blah blah blah call? Yeah, I blew it and you were right."

It's just not how I like to work the game, and many coaches wouldn't even remember it anyway.