The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref33
I officiated a game a couple weeks ago, and the frosh. boys coach was a female... real nice lady too for a change. didnt complain like most of the female coaches i run into... this one was quiet, and when i told her what I saw, she said okay, and dropped it... I almost thought she was a zombie or somethin
A Stepford Coach maybe?
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
hahaha, no, she was a lil on the butch side... but cool as hell. one of those you only run into every so often
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Wow!

There are several derogatory remarks toward women in this thread.

And I'll bet you all can't even see it.

Rita
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 06:54am
Official & Member

I was waiting for that post to arrive. Let's see...so far "butch", "zombie" and this:

"one female doing a boys 13/15 age group".

What else did I miss?
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
I was waiting for that post to arrive. Let's see...so far "butch", "zombie" and this:

"one female doing a boys 13/15 age group".

What else did I miss?
I believe you missed "she was a little manly".
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
Wow!

Rita
Yea, most of the guys on this try to be okay with this stuff, they really do. Some do a better job than others. And ya gotta admit, most of these posts are just descriptions of situations and don't contain judgment. But ultimately it's just hard for some of them to see all the details of gender discrimination.

And frankly some of these insults are against both men and women. I think the real problem is in seeing people as one against the other. Why not look for the best coach qualities that can show up in any person, and skip the gender assumptions? I mean, "She was more manly than my partner" Is that a compliment or an insult to either the coach or the partner?? The coach was strong, verbal and aggressive? Those are good or bad things for a coach or official regardless of gender. Why call them manly?

But I run the risk of being seen as a "feminazi" when I speak up. so I don't, unless it's really nasty. Gotta admit, though, it's nice to have another woman on the board regularly these days, Rita. Mostly, gender doesn't matter, much. But when it does, I do feel kinda lonely. I"ve been glad you're around.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Ft. Campbell, Ky has a lady coaching the mens team, she made the region several years ago and does a good job.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

...and regarding the subject....

I signed up for a camp one summer, when I arrived I discovered that there were only two refs total, so instead of us getting trained we got paid. Two real refs and several college players. It was a boys hs team camp, all games on college sized floors. We did seven running clock games a day, for three days. took a lot of advil. There was one V team there with a woman coach. She'd been coaching girls, but the boys team was losing badly for a couple years, and the team finally requested that she take over. She took them to their regionals or state or whatever for several years, I guess. She and I were the only females on the campus that week (including the dorm we stayed in). It was very... uh, interesting...
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Immoral???
If the qualities of a good coach are there, why should gender be issue?
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 02:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
But I run the risk of being seen as a "feminazi" when I speak up. so I don't, unless it's really nasty.
Never hold it in. There's a very good reason why wimmen should always speak up.

It's true, it's true..........
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 03:01pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Women coaching boys teams are becoming a little more common place than we might think. Just off the top of my head, I know of one woman coaching the boys V team at a smaller Christian school in Nebraska (well, she was the coach a couple years ago-I haven't checked if she still is), and one woman coaching the football team at one of the Native American schools in Nebraska. She's no longer coaching that football team, having moved to a different school, where she's become an assistant coach to her husband on the football team, and she's also the head track coach, for both the boys and girls. This woman I'm mentioning is fairly famous around here, as she was once the University of Nebraska's head women's track coach and a former Olympian herself. Of course, she has a famous son who led Nebraska to a national championship in football.

I used to be a high school football coach in Nebraska as well, being co-head coach with a woman because she had a teacher's certificate and I didn't. At that time, they didn't have coaches' certificates or a way for non-certified people to be head coaches. The same school I coached at, had a woman be the head coach of the boys V basketball team for a couple of seasons prior to my arrival there, because the "head" coach wasn't a certified teacher/coach. After the head coach I served under decided not to coach the boys V basketball team after a couple of seasons (he went back to school to get another endorsement), we were replaced by a woman head coach and an assistant who "ran" the team, solely because she had the teacher's certificate.

Also, I know a city in the north part of Nebraska had a woman be the head coach of the boys' V soccer team a few years ago, and she led them to the state tournament. I'm sure there are more examples out there, but these were off the top of my mind.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Never hold it in. There's a very good reason why wimmen should always speak up.

It's true, it's true..........
Wow! That's a bad hair day!
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 03:39pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
Wow!

Rita
Wow! An incredibly derogatory remark toward men in this post. Can you even see it?
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting thread.NZ has probably about 1/3 female coaches that coach boys/mens teams.Don't know that its that big a deal to comment on for us.

We have had players from the Northern hemispher who play as imports in our National League who have really struggled with female refs.One guy said"you're cute honey what do I call you"?reply?-Ma'am or ref

NZ is about 50/50 female /male refs.Although in the League only about 1/3 are female.
.The local ref association is run by the women,the appointments,the ref coaching and the NZNBL ref evaluators are all women.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin
We have had players from the Northern hemispher who play as imports in our National League who have really struggled with female refs.One guy said"you're cute honey what do I call you"?reply?-Ma'am or ref
I had a guy ask me, "Why do we have a female ref?" It was about a year after Violet Palmer had started in the NBA. I said, "So when you get into the NBA, you'll be used to it." He had to think about it.

PS I have also noticed you around the forum, Karin. Perhaps we've got a trend going? Someone tell Oatmealqueen we would welcome her back, too!