The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

This past fall was my first season reffing high school girls. The boys season will be starting soon, and I am a little apprehensive. Any tips on making the transition? What differences in play and/or conduct might I expect to see? Being a young female official, I can't help but feel somewhat intimidated.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to South Bay HHVBC

If you ref just regular high school girls (compared to high level club ball), All I have to say is that the guys games are a lot faster. You will also have to be more fine tuned to touches off a block. because of the higher velocity of the ball when hit.

Since you are a female ( no offence at all to you ) you will have to deal with some male coaches and of course players who will not respect your judgement regardless of how well you officiate. Be assertive with your calls and be on point with all aspects of play. Dont be afraid to card up some of those foul mouthed kids or coaches.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

I might also add that the boys play much more above the net than the girls. What I mean is, you will see alot of balls set while the setter's hands are above the net. Also, you will see a lot more and harder spikes and blocks than with girls.

A good way to tune up for the boys is to officiate (or at least watch) some men's matches before the boys season. I officiate a co-ed rec league with some very good men and women players. It is also a good way to see some faster volleyball than you will see played by high school girls.

Boys will be quicker to question officials' calls than girls. Be firm and forceful in defending your calls. If you appear unsure or confused, they will be even quicker to challenge your decisions. South Bay was right when he said to not be afraid to card players or coaches. Boys will be more apt to respect you if you deal quickly and decisively with them.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the advice. It's helpful if I can mentally prepare, even though it will still be tough, at least in the beginning. The boys season is shorter with far fewer matches than the girls in our area, but some of the teams are competetive on a state level, so the caliber of play will be high in some cases.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to South Bay HHVBC
where are you reffing at?
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

I am reffing in Lancaster, PA