The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Last year I got alot of HS girls games and my unnofficial end of year evaluation from my mentor leads me to believe I will be moving up and getting some HS boys games this year. Still waiting for my schedule to see if it pans out.

Assuming I do get some HS boys games-any advice for this next level? I already plan to review BI and goaltending rules.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Moving from girls varsity to boys varsity is considered a promotion in your state?
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 08:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Here we go again

Actually, the way it was done when I lived in East Tennessee seemed to sidestep all these questions. There we worked a DH -- girls varsity followed by boys varsity. 2-official crews at the time. A hard night's work.

Rich
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 08:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally posted by oc
Last year I got alot of HS girls games and my unnofficial end of year evaluation from my mentor leads me to believe I will be moving up and getting some HS boys games this year. Still waiting for my schedule to see if it pans out.

Assuming I do get some HS boys games-any advice for this next level? I already plan to review BI and goaltending rules.
Other than the speed of the game is faster and you might have to see what goes on above the rim, not much to say. You just have to do it, to get better at it. And usually (but not all the time) there is more contact to be expected, so you should have a little slower whistle. But unless you are doing varsity games, the only thing you can do is just do them. But I guess I am curious to why moving from girls to boys is a big deal. It would seem that much of that choice would be your decision.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

You might have to run full speed a few more times, but other than that it's no big deal. Just keep doing the things that you are good at (of which there must be many since you are progressing) and add some more tools to your game each year.

Z
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

It has been said already, but I wish to stress that the boys can play through much more contact. LET THEM! If you call fouls too early you are often depriving the offense of an advantage. If you find that you are shooting the double-bonus every half in your boys games, you are likely overcalling the contact.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I've done a small amount of each, and it appears to me that the differences aren't so much a matter of moving "up" as moving across. It's a different game, and different skills are needed. Boys play faster, as a rule, and girls tend to use more teamwork, although some of that depends on the coach. Each will travel about the same, but in different ways. Girls travel more in moving from a stand to a walk or run. Boys travel more on the "jump stop". Girls have more problems with legal screens. Boys have more problem defending the shot cleanly. In girls varsity, you are more likely to have a very wide range of skills on the floor, since, over all, fewer girls play, and have less experience as a group. Boys will tend to be more even. Girls games have more blow-outs. Boys games have more blow-ups.

These are all generalizations, and may not apply to this game or that team. But these are the kinds of adjustments you will need to make. It seems to me.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Juulie makes great points......But 1 clarification- When you say HS boys, do you mean varsity?? Down here, that could mean 9th grade, JV, or Varsity. That said, there is a world of difference between a JV Girls game and a Varisty Girls game.... (theoretically, at least)
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mlancaster
[B there is a world of difference between a JV Girls game and a Varsity Girls game.... (theoretically, at least) [/B]
Around here, it depends on the school. There are schools in our area that have freshman girls teams that could beat a lot of college teams. And there are varsity teams that -- bless their hearts! -- couldn't win at a Junior High scrimmage. Given the same school, yes, there is a world of difference between JV and Varsity, but that applies to both boys AND girls, doesn't it?
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I have seen a trend more towards assigning the boys games before assigning the girls games, thus the better officials get the boys games. That said, I also have a schedule where I call double headers. Sometimes it is JV/Varsity but others it is girls varsity/boys varisty. Same game played differently. Boys have more speed and a better vertical leap. That is all. The first girls Varsity game I had, the two girls in the jump ball circle were 6'5" and the game had more three point shots than you can imagine. We had a a final score off 71-68 thus a great ball game.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Moving from girls varsity to boys varsity is considered a promotion in your state?
I ask the question because we work both, normally a doubleheader. We've always done it that way, which is why I'm curious if it's considered a promotion.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mlancaster
Juulie makes great points......But 1 clarification- When you say HS boys, do you mean varsity?? Down here, that could mean 9th grade, JV, or Varsity. That said, there is a world of difference between a JV Girls game and a Varisty Girls game.... (theoretically, at least)
In answer to your question and BktBallRef's it would be JV/V boys. We schedule boys and girls on different nights here.--double headers boys V and girls V wouldn't really work here for a few reasons. One major reason is a few of the schools in our league are all boys or all girls. Another reason is for some of the smaller schools the JV and V coach are the same person.--And in some rare cases the JV starters are the V bench.

I reffed some boys JV/V before but they were weaker teams or in one case a very strong team vs. a weak team in an non-league game. This year I hope to be assigned some league games between 2 strong teams.

[Edited by oc on Oct 8th, 2003 at 09:13 PM]
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

That wouldn't work in my area because the girls coaches would complain that they were getting weaker officials.

Also, JV games are at 4:30, varsity girls at 6, and varsity boys follow, all at the same site in most cases.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 10:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Boy-Girl Double headers do not work here.

Quote:
That wouldn't work in my area because the girls coaches would complain that they were getting weaker officials.

Also, JV games are at 4:30, varsity girls at 6, and varsity boys follow, all at the same site in most cases.
And that would not work in my area, partly because the same schools would not want the same teams playing each other. Outside of conference games, many of the school would not want to play each other. Because maybe the Boy's team is a state powerhouse, while the Girl's team as won 2 games over the past 5 years. It would not be to the better Girl's teams to play a school like that. So for the most part, the schedules are going to be completely different.

To add to that, the first week of both the Girl's season and the first week of the Boy's season (Girls start a week before the Boys BTW), there are tournaments that start for the Thanksgiving Holiday. And a particular school is not having a tournament for both. During the Christmas break, the same holds true. One of the biggest Christmas Tournaments is the Proviso West Tournament and that is one of the most popular tournaments in the country. It is only a Boy's Tournament and would be nearly impossible to hold a Girl's Tournament at the same time.

And the last reason that does not work for our area, the Girls start their playoffs first. It starts with the Class A Girls (small schools are Class A), then the Class AA Girls the following week, then the Class A Boy's following that, then Class AA Boy's following that a week later. Each State Final weekend ends that same way. So if you have earned a Girl's playoff, it might easily conflict with your Boy's regular season game. And it really makes assignors upset when officials give back games to do a regional game (first round) during the regular season Boy's games. We do not find out our playoff fate until a few weeks before the playoffs start at the level you will be assigned.

All the reason contribute to the rift, for the lack of a better word to officials choosing a side over another.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

They do get weaker refs. Like I said I hope to move up this year.--You play both JV games at 4:30? do all of the schools have 2 gyms?