The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Woman Coaching Boys V (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40652-woman-coaching-boys-v.html)

Coltdoggs Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:29am

Woman Coaching Boys V

Saw this in the Indy Star today.....Around Indy, it's all men coaching V....Heck, I don't even know where this city is at in Indiana...

Obviously you have men coaching girls V and you have men coaching NCAA-W...thought it was interesting.

Any of you V-Boys officials have any women coaches?

WOMAN BOYS V COACH

stripes Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:08pm

We had a lady coaching boys in Utah for a while at a very small (1A) school in the southern part of the state. I never worked for her, but I heard she did a very good job.

CoachP Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Saw this in the Indy Star today.....Around Indy, it's all men coaching V....Heck, I don't even know where this city is at in Indiana...

Obviously you have men coaching girls V and you have men coaching NCAA-W...thought it was interesting.

WOMAN BOYS V COACH

Mid Michigan.
And she took her Boys V team to the State finals 2 years ago.

http://www.weyi.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=4777

BktBallRef Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltdoggs

Yes. Not as unusual as many would think.

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Dec 28, 2007 02:05pm

A few years ago there was a woman coaching a boys 4A team in Alaska, and they won the state championship I believe.

grunewar Fri Dec 28, 2007 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Yes. Not as unusual as many would think.

I think just because a few can come up with one current or past example in all their years of experience it doesn't make it less unusual. I would say percentage wise it is certainly not common.

In all the leagues I have ever reffed (or coached) I can only remember seeing one female doing a boys 13/15 age group....let alone at the BV level. I still believe it is unusual.

Adam Fri Dec 28, 2007 02:25pm

Probably varies by region, but I agree it's unusual. Not wrong or immoral, just unusual. ;)

I've never seen it any level beyond YMCA.

That said, BktBallRef is probably right. I'm sure there are "many" who think there are only one or two of these situations in the country.

Stat-Man Fri Dec 28, 2007 04:55pm

I used to know an small college whose men's squad had a female coach.

We have a female boy's varsity coach in my area. She was the girls coach up until last year, and applied when the boys job was open to do both (since htis was before our big season switch), she was denied, sued, and won the chance to do both, or keep one and get settlement money. She chose both and passed on the money. But for 2 years now, she's done just the boys.

fullor30 Fri Dec 28, 2007 05:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Probably varies by region, but I agree it's unusual. Not wrong or immoral, just unusual. ;)

I've never seen it any level beyond YMCA.

That said, BktBallRef is probably right. I'm sure there are "many" who think there are only one or two of these situations in the country.

Immoral???:confused:

Back In The Saddle Fri Dec 28, 2007 05:26pm

The boys sophomore coach at my local school is a woman.

Mark Padgett Fri Dec 28, 2007 06:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
The boys sophomore coach at my local school is a woman.

Hey - that's not nice. Oh wait - you mean for real. Sorry. :o

Adam Fri Dec 28, 2007 06:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30
Immoral???:confused:

Hey, I said it wasn't immoral.

Mregor Fri Dec 28, 2007 07:33pm

Some of the woman coaches I've seen are more manly than my partner! ('ll print this out for him and give it to him at our next game since he doesn't log on here).

Mregor

BillyMac Fri Dec 28, 2007 08:29pm

The Constitution State

We had a female coaching a public high school boys varsity basketbasll team about 15 years ago in the northwestern part of Connecticut. I believe it was at Litchfield High School.

In the Catholic middle school league, that I officiate in on my free nights and weekends, we have several females coaching boys teams from fourth grade through eighth grade.

A side note, also in the Catholic Middle School league, we have a boy playing, he's a starter, with a prosthetic leg. It takes him a little bit longer to accelerate, and decelerate, than the other players, but otherwise, you wouldn't know he was playing on onewnatural leg.

swkansasref33 Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:06pm

I officiated a game a couple weeks ago, and the frosh. boys coach was a female... real nice lady too for a change. didnt complain like most of the female coaches i run into... this one was quiet, and when i told her what I saw, she said okay, and dropped it... I almost thought she was a zombie or somethin