The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Double Violation

Had this sitch the other night…
Second shot of two for double bonus free-throws. While the ball is in the air and on its way on the try, defender steps into the lane. I give the delayed lane violation signal. Then the ball completely misses the ring (air ball). I recognize that we have two violations here, so I come together with my partner to quickly discuss this. He’s thinking that sense we have the lane violation by the defense first that we just let the shooter shoot again. However, I remembered that when the shooter violates that we always address that violation regardless of the order (I think). So, I convinced him that we had a double/simultaneous violation and that because it was the last shot we go to the arrow for the put in.
This sound right to you guys?
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski
Had this sitch the other night…
Second shot of two for double bonus free-throws. While the ball is in the air and on its way on the try, defender steps into the lane. I give the delayed lane violation signal. Then the ball completely misses the ring (air ball). I recognize that we have two violations here, so I come together with my partner to quickly discuss this. He’s thinking that sense we have the lane violation by the defense first that we just let the shooter shoot again. However, I remembered that when the shooter violates that we always address that violation regardless of the order (I think). So, I convinced him that we had a double/simultaneous violation and that because it was the last shot we go to the arrow for the put in.
This sound right to you guys?
The "only penalize the first violation" applies ONLY to LANE violations, not to all FT violations.

IOW, you did it right.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Decision Time

I'm going to give this one a shot.

In *9.1.3 Sit H (b) B1, enters too soon then shooter A1 steps on line while releasing the throw. RULING: (b) a double violation is called and the ball is kput in play usning the alternating-possession procedure. COMMENT: Anytime the defense violates firts, followed by a violation by the freethrow shooter, the officials should consider the possibility of disconcertion. (9-1 Penalty)

So you need to decide if the B violation disconcerted the thrower, if so, penalize only B, if not, the go to the arrow.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdesigner
I'm going to give this one a shot.

In *9.1.3 Sit H (b) B1, enters too soon then shooter A1 steps on line while releasing the throw. RULING: (b) a double violation is called and the ball is kput in play usning the alternating-possession procedure. COMMENT: Anytime the defense violates firts, followed by a violation by the freethrow shooter, the officials should consider the possibility of disconcertion. (9-1 Penalty)

So you need to decide if the B violation disconcerted the thrower, if so, penalize only B, if not, the go to the arrow.
Is anyone gonna call "disconcertion" if the ball is in the air? (as OP states)
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
Is anyone gonna call "disconcertion" if the ball is in the air? (as OP states)
In this case, there was no disconsertion. The defender was simply early into the lane and trying to set the block-out.

I don’t believe you would want to make a disconsertion call after the shot has released the ball on the try.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski
I don’t believe you would want to make a disconsertion call after the shot has released the ball on the try.
Nope, me either...