The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 14, 2002, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Okay-I thought I had a decent grasp of the rules but.....I was asked at a church game, (using high school rules), the ruling on a double violation on the first of two free throws, (with the first violation on defense and the second on offense). I answered the first one is canceled, and you move on to the second one. They then asked me to show them so that they could read and study it. However, on looking up rule 9 and showing them section one and number 3 of the penalties it does not specifically say that. I also checked the case book, so am I wrong? Is a double violation the same as a viloation by just the offencse with a loss of the first free throw? Would appreciate your input but please do not make it look too easy to find.
Old Sun Apr 14, 2002, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

9-1 Penalty 3 is it. Read on, and you'll see that "The throw-in provision in penalty item (3) do[es] not apply if the FT is to be followed by another FT."
Old Sun Apr 14, 2002, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Unless you rule that the violation by the defense is disconcerting, then a double violation would wipe out the FT. If the violation by the defense caused the shooter to violate, then only the disconcertion would be penalized.

If it's a true double violation, wipe out the FT if it's not the last, or go to the AP if it is the last FT. 6.3.3B