The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 04:11pm
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,643
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Tenn vs Xavier - T

Anyone watching?

69-67, ~ 5 minutes to play. Bruce Pearl, Coach, Tenn, steps out of the coaches box (after being warned earlier in the game) in the heat of the moment by a foot or so, exerting his team to play good D. Whack! Ref 'T's him. Announcer said, "that's an embarrassment to college basketball." Announcers said, ref should understand "the intent of the rule."

Pearl of course becomes unglued, comes on the court, uses several explitives, and of course - no T here.

Overall, good game!
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.

Last edited by grunewar; Sat Dec 22, 2007 at 04:59pm.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,643
It wasn't a foot or so. He had BOTH feet inbounds. His left foot was probably four feet onto the court and his right about one foot.

Since the NCAA has taken the position that the coaches MUST stay out of bounds and in their coaching areas, I have no problem with the enforcement of the rule.

BTW The Xavier coach received a T earlier in the game, which may have also been for his position outside of the box.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 04:19pm
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,643
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Must have motivated his players, as they smoked Xavier after that and won going away!
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 04:20pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Must have motivated his players, as they smoked Xavier after that and won going away!
Yeah, I'm sure that was it.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 201
Red face

I have been watching, and have it on the DVR, I went back several times to see what went on, Bruce was at the right hand side of the "N" in Cintas, about maybe 3-feet outside of the box. If he was warned earlier in the game, maybe he should have gotten the T, seems a bit picky to me, but by the way, the supervisior of officials was said to be in the house, so maybe that had something to do with it too.

I did see one time worse than this as far as being nit-picky, last year, Illinois got a T for six players on the floor when an Illinois player, having just been taken out of the game, walked down the bench and cut across the last 3-ft of the corner, about 84-ft from the play and the action, and got rung up with a T for 6-players on the floor.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 04:29pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,688
I went to Tennessee for grad school, so I always watch the Vols when I can.

The POE is clear, the officials have their orders, and like it or not, they've been consistent in the application. The announcers, though, will blame the on-court guys. What else is new?
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 4,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
BTW The Xavier coach received a T earlier in the game, which may have also been for his position outside of the box.
I was watching the game, and my memory is 90% certain that this was, indeed, what got Miller a T in the first half.

That said, how 'bout 'dem Memphis Tigers???
__________________
"To win the game is great. To play the game is greater. But to love the game is the greatest of all."
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 04:45pm
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,643
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
I was watching the game, and my memory is 90% certain that this was, indeed, what got Miller a T in the first half.

That said, how 'bout 'dem Memphis Tigers???
Yep, Mark, they looked good today against the Hoyas! Hibbert was a non-factor.
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 07:40pm
M.A.S.H.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,024
It was fun reading the lips of Bruce's assistant coaches as well after he got the T.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pasadena Ca
Posts: 281
Send a message via AIM to TRef21
The coaches are the ones who make the rules so why the hell should there be any questions on how they are enforced. You know I didn't see the game but heard about it on ESPN a little while ago. I would like to hear what the observer at the game had to say or what Hank Nichols would say. Honestly if Pearl was warned even if coaching his team and he did again, well deserved. Plus I bet we don't know how many warnings he had received after the first one as well. TV doesn't show all of that as well. He could have been warned 5x's after that and we never saw or heard anything since we are all focused on the play or off ball stuff when watching.
__________________
Tommy
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 10:24pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Anyone watching?

69-67, ~ 5 minutes to play. Bruce Pearl, Coach, Tenn, steps out of the coaches box (after being warned earlier in the game) in the heat of the moment by a foot or so, exerting his team to play good D. Whack! Ref 'T's him. Announcer said, "that's an embarrassment to college basketball." Announcers said, ref should understand "the intent of the rule."

Pearl of course becomes unglued, comes on the court, uses several explitives, and of course - no T here.

Overall, good game!
I did not see the game. Based on what you just described, the Hank Nichols said this is how he wanted it called. If he had been warned and then violated the rule that is how they wanted it called. And Jim Boehiem of Syracuse who is the chairperson (or President) of the National Association of College Coaches claimed that is how they wanted this called without consideration to the game or the time of the game. If coaches do not like the way it is called, change the philosophy. The officials are being asked to call it this way and apparently the official did just what he was told. Do I agree with that philosophy? Of course I do not, but that is how they want it called and if you want to continue to work games, you do what you are told.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 23, 2007, 12:03am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pasadena Ca
Posts: 281
Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I did not see the game. Based on what you just described, the Hank Nichols said this is how he wanted it called. If he had been warned and then violated the rule that is how they wanted it called. And Jim Boehiem of Syracuse who is the chairperson (or President) of the National Association of College Coaches claimed that is how they wanted this called without consideration to the game or the time of the game. If coaches do not like the way it is called, change the philosophy. The officials are being asked to call it this way and apparently the official did just what he was told. Do I agree with that philosophy? Of course I do not, but that is how they want it called and if you want to continue to work games, you do what you are told.

Peace
Exactly!!! Even if we disagree with the whole thats the rule we enforce if we want to work.
__________________
Tommy
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 23, 2007, 01:06am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
I was watching the game, and my memory is 90% certain that this was, indeed, what got Miller a T in the first half.
He was definitely complaining, but I believe that it was more where he was while he was complaining that got him nailed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
That said, how 'bout 'dem Memphis Tigers???
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 10:50am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
The coaches are the ones who make the rules so why the hell should there be any questions on how they are enforced. You know I didn't see the game but heard about it on ESPN a little while ago. I would like to hear what the observer at the game had to say or what Hank Nichols would say. Honestly if Pearl was warned even if coaching his team and he did again, well deserved. Plus I bet we don't know how many warnings he had received after the first one as well. TV doesn't show all of that as well. He could have been warned 5x's after that and we never saw or heard anything since we are all focused on the play or off ball stuff when watching.
I happened to be watching the game at the time the T was given. Unfortunately the referees have been told that if they do not enforce the rule as it is currently stated it will affect future postseason assignments.

In case it was not noticed, Coach Pearl was back on the floor not long after this, and you can see the new (T), during the inbound while Tennessee was pressing, motion the coach to get off the floor. Non of his assistants were making any attempt to get him back in the box.

The coaching staff probably came close to getting another T when they went into their expletive laced tirade. I would like to have been in the post game.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pasadena Ca
Posts: 281
Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls
I happened to be watching the game at the time the T was given. Unfortunately the referees have been told that if they do not enforce the rule as it is currently stated it will affect future postseason assignments.

In case it was not noticed, Coach Pearl was back on the floor not long after this, and you can see the new (T), during the inbound while Tennessee was pressing, motion the coach to get off the floor. Non of his assistants were making any attempt to get him back in the box.

The coaching staff probably came close to getting another T when they went into their expletive laced tirade. I would like to have been in the post game.

Thanks for the info. Sound like they did it right. We haven't heard anything in the paper or on the news about it....
LOL!!
Happy Holidays y'all!!!

Tommy
__________________
Tommy
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tenn \ Unc Womens' Basketball jatres1 Basketball 6 Mon Dec 03, 2007 09:55am
Here is the Tenn/Virginia Play Big2Cat Basketball 69 Fri Mar 23, 2007 09:40pm
Substitute A-10 game Xavier/ Charlotte Rick82358 Basketball 2 Fri Mar 10, 2006 02:47pm
MSU vs. TEnn IREFU2 Basketball 10 Mon Apr 04, 2005 09:45am
Oklahoma-Xavier game. Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Basketball 4 Wed Mar 20, 2002 02:32pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1