The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Tenn \ Unc Womens' Basketball

Just watch an excellent game tonite between Tenn & Unc on ESPN2. Unc was down 3 points with less than 3 seconds remaining and a Unc player was fooled in the act of shooting a unsuccessful 3-point attempt, she made the first of 3 and missed the second, now she made attempt to miss which in this case the ball hit the backboard only. The official called a violation but not because she stepped on or over the line. As a high school official i was just told recently in class that in this case the ball is live and we play on, is this not the case in college hoops. i called some fellow officals on this matter and got different answers, somebody stop the bleeding i didn't think this was a big issue but would hate not to call it right if it was me.
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

The restrictions on the players entering the lane in HS end when the ball contacts the ring or the backboard. However, the freethrower must cause the ball to strike the ring or enter the basket. If not, then the freethrower has committed a violation.

For NCAA play, the players in the lane spaces may enter the lane on the release of the ball, but rule about the thrower causing the ball to strike the ring or entering the basket is the same.

In short, the call made in the game was correct.
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatres1
[FT attemtpt]...the ball hit the backboard only.
As a high school official i was just told recently in class that in this case the ball is live and we play on, ...
Just to clarify, either you misunderstood or your class instructor misstated. Either way the statement in red is untrue.

See NFHS rule 9-1-3a.
He/she shall throw within 10 seconds to cause the ball to enter the basket or touch the ring before the free throw ends.
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatres1
a Unc player was fooled in the act of shooting
Oooh was this a POE this year??
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

It was a good call. UNC was down by 3 and the shooter made the 1st, missed the 2nd (first miss of the year), and she tried to deliberately miss the 3rd and hope for a rebound. However, she missed the ring entirely -- violation -- game over. Go UT!
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblref
It was a good call. UNC was down by 3 and the shooter made the 1st, missed the 2nd (first miss of the year), and she tried to deliberately miss the 3rd and hope for a rebound. However, she missed the ring entirely -- violation -- game over. Go UT!
She was a freshman and the announcer said she hasn't missed a free throw all year. After the first one bounced off the front of the rim and went in, I told my wife, she'd be lucky to hit the rim on the next one, which she barely did. Pressure was a little to much for her.

Anyways, did anybody see Dee Kantner's block call/count the basket mechanic late in the 2nd half? It was one of the better ones I've seen before.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Fooled Or Fouled ?

) Hey idaho good pick-up on that FOOLED and i read it 3 times, sure miss spellcheck