The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down My crew kicked it...

Boys Varsity - Two 5-0 teams who are expected to finish 1st and 2nd in the league. Team A (Home) makes a three-point shot with 6 seconds remaining to send the game into overtime at 62-62.

In overtime, Team A is fouled and will attempt two free throws. Team A is down by 2, 67-64, with 3.4 seconds remaining.

The first attempt is good, 67-65. The second shot is what made things interesting. The shooter, who we will call A1, throws the ball off the backboard and our C (I am lead) immediately whistles the violation. HOWEVER, after the ball hit the backboard, it then bounced off the rim and directly to A3 who made a layup.

All three of us saw the ball hit the backboard, and the C was upset that he made the "anticipation call" before the entire play ended. Here is what we came up with... AP Arrow for the resumption of play, which favored Team A. Team A missed the last shot and lost the game, 67-65.

I was personally disappointed that the game ended the way it did. Who knows if Team A would have actually secured the rebound after the second shot. We'll be ready to go tomorrow.

Was the AP Arrow, in fact, the correct procedure to resume play?

Edit: to correct scoring information

Last edited by rgncjn; Sat Dec 22, 2007 at 01:32am.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 01:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Ouch!
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgncjn
Boys Varsity - Two 5-0 teams who are expected to finish 1st and 2nd in the league. Team A (Home) makes a three-point shot with 6 seconds remaining to send the game into overtime at 62-62.

In overtime, Team A is fouled and will attempt two free throws. Team A is down by 2, 67-65, with 3.4 seconds remaining.

The first attempt is good, 67-66. The second shot is what made things interesting. The shooter, who we will call A1, throws the ball off the backboard and our C (I am lead) immediately whistles the violation. HOWEVER, after the ball hit the backboard, it then bounced off the rim and directly to A3 who made a layup.

All three of us saw the ball hit the backboard, and the C was upset that he made the "anticipation call" before the entire play ended. Here is what we came up with... AP Arrow for the resumption of play, which favored Team A. Team A missed the last shot and lost the game, 67-66.

I was personally disappointed that the game ended the way it did. Who knows if Team A would have actually secured the rebound after the second shot. We'll be ready to go tomorrow.

I dont understand. What did he call? Basket inference or a throw in violation? Was the ball in the hands of the player when the whistle was blown?
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Sorry... had to edit that. The first successful free throw made the game 67-65 and not 67-66.

The kid threw it hard off the backboard hoping to secure a rebound for the team.

Our partner whistled the violation for the ball not contacting the ring on the second free throw attempt (9-1-4). BUT, the ball did hit the ring, immediately after our partner whistled and signaled the violation.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Ouch is right.

Don't kill yourself. We all make mistakes.

AP arrow is correct. Call is inadvertent whistle. AP arrow since neither team had control.

You are lucky they had the arrow, at least they got their chance to tie.

And just to make you feel a little better, odds are they probably have a better chance off the inbounds to run a decent set play as opposed to off the rim. 4 seconds to run a play and take the last shot from your front court is not a bad deal.

Live and learn.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 09:12am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_ref
And just to make you feel a little better, odds are they probably have a better chance off the inbounds to run a decent set play as opposed to off the rim. 4 seconds to run a play and take the last shot from your front court is not a bad deal.
To the OP, I think you handled the situation your partner created the best you could.

Now, this post I quoted. Your post was OK until you said this. You have no way of knowing this and the OP said the miss went to A3 and he made a layup. Now maybe A3 got the ball and layup because the other players froze. I don't know and you sure don't know unless you know the OP personally and have talked to him about it off line. Why would you assume this?
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:

In overtime, Team A is fouled and will attempt two free throws. Team A is down by 2, 67-64, with 3.4 seconds remaining.

The first attempt is good, 67-65. The second shot is what made things interesting. The shooter, who we will call A1, throws the ball off the backboard and our C (I am lead) immediately whistles the violation. HOWEVER, after the ball hit the backboard, it then bounced off the rim and directly to A3 who made a layup.

All three of us saw the ball hit the backboard, and the C was upset that he made the "anticipation call" before the entire play ended. Here is what we came up with... AP Arrow for the resumption of play, which favored Team A. Team A missed the last shot and lost the game, 67-65.

I think they should put this under 9-1-3b, "faking" a free throw. When you intentional throw the ball off the backboard while lined up for a free throw, it should be considered faking. Just MHO.....
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
I think they should put this under 9-1-3b, "faking" a free throw. When you intentional throw the ball off the backboard while lined up for a free throw, it should be considered faking. Just MHO.....

This is an EXTREMELY liberal interpretation of the rule..... I would NOT go there. rgncjn's crew handled it the best (by rule) way they could.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by williebfree
This is an EXTREMELY liberal interpretation of the rule..... I would NOT go there. rgncjn's crew handled it the best (by rule) way they could.
Let me clarify, the "they" I was talking about is NFHS, not the crew. Yes, they, the crew, handled it the best way they could.....
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 11:37am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I disagree. I'd really hate to have to decide whether the player was legitimately attempting to make the free throw. It's better to tell him he has to hit the rim; it's something concrete that we can enforce.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
You have no way of knowing this ... Why would you assume this?
huh?

knowing what? and assuming what?

That they are better off with possession of the ball as opposed to off the rim? just my humble opinion. Ask any coach what he would rather have. As for the layup by A3, yes I assumed there was a freeze.

Sequence: backboard, whistle, rim, rebound, layup. That's a long time between whistle and layup. I assumed. A tip, maybe not, but a catch and shoot with the whistle gone already, most likely there was a freeze. Was there?
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:

I feel you did the right thing. Remember in the rule book we have the thing we all call elastic power which we use when certain situation are not covered by the rules. In your case, you did it right. Free throw is thrown off the backboard, your partner kills then the ball hits the rim. You have an in advert whistle, there is no team control during a shot, the book says when an in advert whistle is blown on a shot and it goes the basket counts and resume play with the team that is entitled to throw in after a made basket. In your case it was missed no team control on the shot, go to the arrow and play on. Yah it sucks that y'all screwed it up, but you did the right thing and got it right. Just make sure in pre-game you go over remind the crew the procedure about the in advert whistle and how to avoid it we watch the whole play start, develop and finish then blow the whistle.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Faking a free throw is not the same as missing it intentionally. This was a legal play and should continue to be legal as a counter to strategic fouling.

It is unfortunate that the player made a good play and the officials interfered with it, but that's basketball.

As many have said here before, wait to see the whole play before whistling.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
As many have said here before, wait to see the whole play before whistling.
That is always included in my pregame conference. It looks like my partner fell asleep during this.

This is not a cheapshot at my partner, or me throwing him under the bus, we work together on a weekly basis and are great friends. We all have that dreaded off night.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I think this is worse than a quick whistle - this isn't being aware of the situation. Both C and T here should be ready for this type of play by A1. I could understand and accept the quick whistle theory if this was in the middle of a game. But in an end of game situation, you have to be aware that the shooter is going to miss on purpose, probably by throwing the ball hard, and get ready for collisions around the basket.

It was both a lack of timing and a lack of thinking.

We've all made mistakes, myself included, so I'll get off my high horse.