View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgncjn
Boys Varsity - Two 5-0 teams who are expected to finish 1st and 2nd in the league. Team A (Home) makes a three-point shot with 6 seconds remaining to send the game into overtime at 62-62.

In overtime, Team A is fouled and will attempt two free throws. Team A is down by 2, 67-64, with 3.4 seconds remaining.

The first attempt is good, 67-65. The second shot is what made things interesting. The shooter, who we will call A1, throws the ball off the backboard and our C (I am lead) immediately whistles the violation. HOWEVER, after the ball hit the backboard, it then bounced off the rim and directly to A3 who made a layup.

All three of us saw the ball hit the backboard, and the C was upset that he made the "anticipation call" before the entire play ended. Here is what we came up with... AP Arrow for the resumption of play, which favored Team A. Team A missed the last shot and lost the game, 67-65.

I was personally disappointed that the game ended the way it did. Who knows if Team A would have actually secured the rebound after the second shot. We'll be ready to go tomorrow.

Was the AP Arrow, in fact, the correct procedure to resume play?

Edit: to correct scoring information
I feel you did the right thing. Remember in the rule book we have the thing we all call elastic power which we use when certain situation are not covered by the rules. In your case, you did it right. Free throw is thrown off the backboard, your partner kills then the ball hits the rim. You have an in advert whistle, there is no team control during a shot, the book says when an in advert whistle is blown on a shot and it goes the basket counts and resume play with the team that is entitled to throw in after a made basket. In your case it was missed no team control on the shot, go to the arrow and play on. Yah it sucks that y'all screwed it up, but you did the right thing and got it right. Just make sure in pre-game you go over remind the crew the procedure about the in advert whistle and how to avoid it we watch the whole play start, develop and finish then blow the whistle.