The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Mechanics

Being a rookie I understand there is no over the back it is a push, but what mechanic do we use on the reach in foul. Is it a hold? When the bigs on offense hook to get around their man. What mechanic do you use? Reaching from behind. Hold? Thanks for your help.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

No such thing as a reach-in foul so remove the words from your vocabulary. It will help you in the long run. Which foul it is depends on what happens. Was there contact with the arm against the body? Then it's illegal use of hands. Did the arm contact the body and hold the dribbler from his/her path? Then it's a hold. Did the reach cause body contact? Then it's a push or a block.

For the hook - I signal a hold and verbally say hooking. If I really have to sell it, I'll give the hold followed by a hooking motion, but not very often.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 05:41pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Be prepared

Welcome to the forum. The moniker you have chosen may elicit some sharp comments. A previous forum member had a similar name and he proved to be quite the buffoon. I'm sure you will get some light-hearted comments due to your alias. Just be ready. You may want to do a search on some of your namesakes creative work.

Enjoy your time here
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 06:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisref2
For the hook - I signal a hold and verbally say hooking. If I really have to sell it, I'll give the hold followed by a hooking motion, but not very often.
I wish officials didn't do things like that. It perpetuates the myth that there is such a foul as a reach (or hook). Give the proper signal and let it go at that.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I wish officials didn't do things like that. It perpetuates the myth that there is such a foul as a reach (or hook). Give the proper signal and let it go at that.
I disagree. Communicate. Give the proper signals, then selectively embellish when the signal alone doesn't really tell anything. More than once, it has settled a coach down without any additional effort....their reaction could be translated to "Oh, so that's what you called them for". I don't do it or recommend it often but it does have its place.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Dec 21, 2007 at 06:56pm.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 09:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
I disagree. Communicate. Give the proper signals, then selectively embellish when the signal alone doesn't really tell anything. More than once, it has settled a coach down without any additional effort....their reaction could be translated to "Oh, so that's what you called them for". I don't do it or recommend it often but it does have its place.
Coach: "That's a reach."
Official: "There's no such foul as a reach, coach."
Coach: "What!!! That's what you called last time."
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
The hook mechanic is an added mechanic for NCAA-W, maybe the FED will adopt it one day. I think it is a good mechanic to better communicate that type of foul.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 11:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

For the hook, use the "player control" mechanic. If it's not the kid with the ball, use the holding mechanic. If coach asks for clarification, just say "He hooked him."
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 11:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
For the hook, use the "player control" mechanic. If it's not the kid with the ball, use the holding mechanic. If coach asks for clarification, just say "He hooked him."
I just give a "hook" mechanic. So sue me. Fortunately I don't really have to worry about such an "unauthorized mechanic" costing me games or losing me sleep.

I used it last night, matter of fact. Post holding the defender. Punch with the right fist, followed by a hook with the left hand.

Last edited by Rich; Fri Dec 21, 2007 at 11:52pm.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 12:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I really don't have a problem with the mechanic. I'm just at a point where I'm trying to use prescribed mechanics only. When I'm good enough at the correct mechanics, I might embellish.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I just give a "hook" mechanic. So sue me. Fortunately I don't really have to worry about such an "unauthorized mechanic" costing me games or losing me sleep.

I used it last night, matter of fact. Post holding the defender. Punch with the right fist, followed by a hook with the left hand.
A right punch, a left hook?? You're right that there isn't an authorized mechanic for THAT!!
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

I think he's in good shape as long as it isn't followed by a bite on the ear.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 01:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Of My Favorite Myths

15) Reaching in is not a foul. There must be contact to have a foul. The mere act of reaching in, by itself, is nothing. If contact does occur, it’s either a holding foul or an illegal use of hands foul. When a player, in order to stop the clock, does not make a legitimate play for the ball, holds, pushes or grabs away from the ball, or uses undue roughness, the foul is an intentional foul.

16) Over the back is not a foul. The term is nowhere to be found in any rulebook. There must be contact to have a foul. A taller player may often be able to get a rebound over a shorter player, even if the shorter player has good rebounding position. If the shorter player is displaced, then a pushing foul must be called. A rebounding player, with an inside position, while boxing out, is not allowed to push back or displace an opponent, which is a pushing foul.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 01:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Friend and regular partner of mine was working at a good, small school, rural girls program. The head coach is frequently an announcer on the TV broadcast of the state tournament.

She was stunned, flabbergasted, at the fact that they wouldn't call illegal screens on the other team. Yup, you guess it, the screens were so poorly set her players went right around them, without contact.

"But they're moving!"

"Yeah, but you can't have a foul without contact."

"Really!?! That's news to me!!!"

Sometimes you just want to hit your head against a concrete wall until it all makes sense or you don't care anymore.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Sometimes you just want to hit your head against a concrete wall until it all makes sense or you don't care anymore.
Rich -- You need a week off! Practice: "It's just a game... breathe... get in, get done, get out... breathe... it's just a game. breathe .. get in, get done, get out...."