The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

3-MAN mechanics

Not really a question here but as I got my first taste of 3-man in about 2 years this past weekend I noticed a couple things.

First off we were using womens NCAA experimental mechanics (at least as it was explained to me)

I found the game easier to cover for the most part, at least it will be once i get used to it and comfortable with it, but I was so caught up in making sure I had my primary covered and trying to not cover the court like in 2-man I got eaten up by about 3 plays that I knew I f*d up, actually make it 4 plays.

The one great thing about working these games was that I got feedback from an NBA ref who was watching his daughter play and that was great. His feedback was primarily to covering the court and plays and about the mentality of officiating and what to look for before during and after contact and what not.

so lets get on to my screw ups.

1) 8 seconds left in first half -- team scores and ball counces and the girl that scores swipes the ball away. Should have called delay of game but I didnt because it was running clock and time would have run out anyway. I screwed that one up because in the second half I had a Delay on the same team and that would have been 2 shots + ball. My screw up.

2) Missed 2 illegal screens mostly because I was to close to the play and got eaten up and the fact that I was concentrating so much on my primary and get the action I am supposed to I missed the action I was supposed to -- weird huh. Said NBA ref commented on both those screens to me and said they were 100% illegal and I beleive him because I know I choked.

3) Making calls through the lane as the lead was frowned on and I did it a couple of times but I appologized -- its tough to just get unused to what you are used to so fast. Especially when I dont have that much 3-man experience (i will be going to a 3-man camp this July).

4) This was probably the worst one and I kicked myself in the arse for this one -- A1 goes up for layup between B1 and B2 -- A1 thought she was fouled and I had nothing (I was lead -- now new trail) -- apparently A1 or A2 who now entered the picture took a swing at B1 or B2 -- couple fans and said NBA ref told us what happened and I should have had that -- I knew that before he told me and I felt bad because i just stayed with the action below the basket rather that opening up and taking in all the action.

So this weekend which I entirely was not looking at working was actually very happy that I did because I got to work some good games and get great feedback and experience.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

It gets easier. And once you get used to 3-person, you'll realize how much we missed when we did 2-person.

It sounds like you're struggling with something that a lot of officials struggle with when they first start 3-person - You are thinking so much that you forget to ref once in a while. More 3-person games is all you need. You're doing fine.

Enjoy.

Z
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
3) Making calls through the lane as the lead was frowned on and I did it a couple of times but I appologized -- its tough to just get unused to what you are used to so fast.
It's more frowned upon in camp than it is in the real world.

Take a look at the PHX-DAL tonight if you don't believe me.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

I agree one problem I have is really trying to hard to get my partners to give our assigner good reports about me I just finished my 3rd year and my schedule was 60-40 varisity really the only way to get noticed? in our association is to impress our partners and the varisty crew they are the ones who tells our commissioner how the young officials do.Once I learned to just officiate and not worry about who to impress the game got easier and my ability to see the fouls , violations etc got easier once that happens game managment is 2nd nature
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 01:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef

The NBA is the real world?
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef

Our new assignor in one of my leagues is making this a a major point of emphasis. He really wants the C making that call across the lane rather than lead. I could agree with his point of view more. If you're making a call across the lane, you either flex more often, or lay off and let the C take it. The point is that there are places in the real world that it's frowned upon. My crew is making it our point of emphasis in our camp games and season games.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Around my area, they want LOTS of double whistles and a very assertive C.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Around my area, It's frowned upon if there are multiple whistle. they actually take it personnally. as if you don't trust them and "why are you Ball watching, why are you looking outside your primary"?. I guess it varies from area to area..I've actually trained myself to be a split second late on whistle that are questionable on coverage area. I'll only blow it if the primary doesn't.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Too many double whistles are a bad thing around here. They want the C and the L to get about 75% of the calls and the L to have a very patient whistle. The philosophy here is that if we are all taking care of our own business (and trusting our partners), there shouldn't be a whole bunch of double whistles.

Z
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 11:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation Oh NO YOU DID'T!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
You cannot say that. You are going to piss off one of our esteemed posters.

Peace
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
Not really a question here but as I got my first taste of 3-man in about 2 years this past weekend I noticed a couple things.

First off we were using womens NCAA experimental mechanics (at least as it was explained to me)

I found the game easier to cover for the most part, at least it will be once i get used to it and comfortable with it, but I was so caught up in making sure I had my primary covered and trying to not cover the court like in 2-man I got eaten up by about 3 plays that I knew I f*d up, actually make it 4 plays.

The one great thing about working these games was that I got feedback from an NBA ref who was watching his daughter play and that was great. His feedback was primarily to covering the court and plays and about the mentality of officiating and what to look for before during and after contact and what not.

so lets get on to my screw ups.

1) 8 seconds left in first half -- team scores and ball counces and the girl that scores swipes the ball away. Should have called delay of game but I didnt because it was running clock and time would have run out anyway. I screwed that one up because in the second half I had a Delay on the same team and that would have been 2 shots + ball. My screw up.

2) Missed 2 illegal screens mostly because I was to close to the play and got eaten up and the fact that I was concentrating so much on my primary and get the action I am supposed to I missed the action I was supposed to -- weird huh. Said NBA ref commented on both those screens to me and said they were 100% illegal and I beleive him because I know I choked.

3) Making calls through the lane as the lead was frowned on and I did it a couple of times but I appologized -- its tough to just get unused to what you are used to so fast. Especially when I dont have that much 3-man experience (i will be going to a 3-man camp this July).

4) This was probably the worst one and I kicked myself in the arse for this one -- A1 goes up for layup between B1 and B2 -- A1 thought she was fouled and I had nothing (I was lead -- now new trail) -- apparently A1 or A2 who now entered the picture took a swing at B1 or B2 -- couple fans and said NBA ref told us what happened and I should have had that -- I knew that before he told me and I felt bad because i just stayed with the action below the basket rather that opening up and taking in all the action.

So this weekend which I entirely was not looking at working was actually very happy that I did because I got to work some good games and get great feedback and experience.
The best thing you can do first is learn your coverage! The second thing is to learn how to stay in your primary and only call out of your primary if its an obvious call that Grandma in row zzz can see. Once you learn these basics, you rest will fall in place.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
You cannot say that. You are going to piss off one of our esteemed posters.

Peace
At least in my area people wouldn't get too pissed of by saying that...

Double whistles are a lot like alcohol - they are ok, and argueably helpful, if done in moderation. But they can certainly be a problem if done excessively. There's one official (in our area) who blows his whistle almost every time, even if it's clearly not his call. Maybe it's a habit he got into to help reinforce his partner's call, but it is certainly an example of poor mechanics at the least, and really bad if he's ball-watching that much.

You will have double whistles on the edges of coverage areas. The key is knowing ahead of time how the crew will handle them - for example, if the drive originates from the T's area, the T will report the foul. This should be settled in the pre-game. In the case of the L calling across the paint into the C's area, this may not be a good double whistle, and it should be discouraged because it's outside the L's primary.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 11:43am
Do not give a damn!!

I would rather have double whistles than no whistles.

Peace
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 12:11pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy

You will have double whistles on the edges of coverage areas.

And quite possibly with secondary defenders - that's where I find most double whistles happening, and I think both of these are example of excellent double whistles.
Old Wed May 31, 2006, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
And quite possibly with secondary defenders - that's where I find most double whistles happening, and I think both of these are example of excellent double whistles.
Yep, even in your area that's a good example.

Sorry; couldn't resist.

(Used with permission.)