The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 12, 2002, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to hear your thoughts on the coverage of a ball hit (grounder or pop fly) up the 1st. base line. Does the plate ump take the ball up to and including the bag, or up to the cut-out, or up to the start of the running lane? I have always taken the ball up to and including the bag, but recently have had a partner get on me for taking a play he says should have been his(tag on a runner half way up the line). I told him we should have covered it in our pre-game a little better.

Thanks,
bake17
Old Fri Jul 12, 2002, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Normally covered in the pre-game. I would agree that my experience is similar to yours (PU up to bag as to fair/foul). On a tag, swipe or otherwise, distance and angle should determine. In the case of half way to first, I would expect PU to jump on it (closer at least and hopefully better angle if he jumps out and heads down line too).
Old Fri Jul 12, 2002, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bake17
I would like to hear your thoughts on the coverage of a ball hit (grounder or pop fly) up the 1st. base line. Does the plate ump take the ball up to and including the bag, or up to the cut-out, or up to the start of the running lane? I have always taken the ball up to and including the bag, but recently have had a partner get on me for taking a play he says should have been his(tag on a runner half way up the line). I told him we should have covered it in our pre-game a little better.

Thanks,
bake17
Fly ball: Whoever the fielder is facing takes the call.

Grounder / tag: Before the running lane, PU; past the running lane, BU.
Old Sun Jul 21, 2002, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

For fair/foul balls..remember the FU has bag and beyond. PU has before bag.

Communicate and read for pop ups. Who says you can't talk. Tell your partner (like a centerfielder) "I have the ball", if you have it. If you don't, tell your partner, "Bob you have the ball!". Easy as pie