The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

All;

I do not do much FED ball, (only 3 games this year so far and none of those were plates) so I do not know what new trends are being enforced and how to interpret them.

For example, for the last few years, players have worn wrist bands of either tape or cloth. This year, I have started to see Lance Armstrong yellow plastic on wrists, and sometimes white or black plastic although I do not know what they stand for. No one seems to be enforcing the jewelry rule with regard to them, except for pitchers and that is a different rule. In any case, how does one differentiate between white or black tape, white or block cloth, and white, black, or yellow plastic. Quote the rule please if you have a different standard for each.

I do not want to be the only umpire enforcing a rule that everyone else is ignoring for political correctness reasons. How are other areas of the country handling this?

Same question for the gorilla arm. We were told by our state interpreter to enforce it but in two of the three games where I worked, the pitchers where imitating gorillas with no consequence from the PU or shouts from the other coach. However, both were left hand pitchers and I cannot see any advantage gained by a gorilla left hander.

Peter

Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

As to the wristbands - when I work with a ruleset (or local rule) that disallows jewelry, I don't allow the wristbands either.

As to the gorilla arm, there is another huge long thread on that - but that's being called 100% around here. Maybe the guys you worked with that day hadn't read their POE's this year.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
As to the wristbands - when I work with a ruleset (or local rule) that disallows jewelry, I don't allow the wristbands either.

Do you make them take tape and cloth off their wrists? This is almost half of the players that I see on a FED field. If not, how do you justify white and black cloth and not plastic?
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

HHH,

Peter:

It is hard for me to believe that in your area the rule is not being called. I say that since the FIRST FED issue that came up concerning the Livestrong braclets was for the Virginia State Championship Cross Country meet this last fall.

In Virgina about 50 runners were disqualified for wearing the braclets (many were reinstated afterwards as there was an "administrative error" by one of the State Officials) but it was made clear at the time by FEDlandia that the bracelets were, indeed, jewelry.

In my area of Oregon we do not allow any type (color) bracelet to be worn by players. And we certainly do not allow ANY jewelry to be covered by tape or cloth. That is consistent with FED langauge and intent.

As for the "Gorilla Arm" we did the preventive officiating thing in pre-season and we now ALL call it a balk (or illegal pitch) as required by FED.

Now go ahead and make a personal attack on me as always.

(BTW guys, HHH and I have been friends off line for about eight years, so take this last comment as it is meant AND SEE PETER'S LATEST ARTICLE IN THE PAID SECTION OF THIS WEBSITE.)
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness

Do you make them take tape and cloth off their wrists? This is almost half of the players that I see on a FED field. If not, how do you justify white and black cloth and not plastic?
Tape -- No.

Cloth -- Yes.

The difference is whether another player's finger could get caught underneath it.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All;

Same question for the gorilla arm. We were told by our state interpreter to enforce it but in two of the three games where I worked, the pitchers where imitating gorillas with no consequence from the PU or shouts from the other coach. However, both were left hand pitchers and I cannot see any advantage gained by a gorilla left hander.

Peter

Peter,

You have stated that your interpreter has asked that the "gorilla arm" tactic be enforced. Yet in both games you have worked where this took place, YOU have not enforced it because YOU did'nt believe an advantage was gained. Why was it necessary that your partner enforce the rule, if you knew better also?

If I am correct, this does'nt sound like the "His high Holiness" we have come to know on this board. I think your starting to mellow out in the latter years here.

Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

here in our Assoc the wristbands must be removed, no exceptions.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:
Peter,

You have stated that your interpreter has asked that the "gorilla arm" tactic be enforced. Yet in both games you have worked where this took place, YOU have not enforced it because YOU did'nt believe an advantage was gained. Why was it necessary that your partner enforce the rule, if you knew better also?
Good question. Quite honestly, I feel like a guest on a high school varsity field. I did all of seven FED games last year and that will be about what I end up working this year. I no longer have a feel for the what proper decorum is and I have told my assignor that I would be happy to work zero FED ball. I find the atmosphere and violation of of what I consider proper decorum to be irritating.

Let me give you an example. A couple of days ago, I received the following email regarding FED ball from my assignor. (It went out to about 200 umpires so I am not violating any confidence.)

To date there have been numerous reports of coaches using tobacco on the field or in their bench areas. As all of you should know from the Federation rules: tobacco use by coaches, players and umpires is prohibited. Considering how many reports I have gotten, I am shocked that to date not a single coach has been restricted to his bench and forced to remove the substance.

In addition, every local county, school system or park has their own set of rules governing and restricting the use of tobacco.

Finally our umpire association has a policy of imposing fines for umpires that use tobacco on school grounds. If you smoke or dip, you will be fined. If you have done that this year you most likely have already been fined.

Starting today if you see a coach that you suspect has a dip in his mouth:

1. First ask him if he does have tobacco in his mouth.
2. Make him remove it and restrict him to the dugout for the rest of the game.
3. Either call me or email me of the offence that evening.
4. If he refuses to show, admit or cooperate with you then you should restrict him to the bench for the remainder of the game. And report it to me.

DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY EJECT THE COACH.

Two weeks ago I sent all Ads an email informing them of this action. They overwhelmingly support this. Please be diligent in your enforcement of this rule. There will be times the coaches will be uncooperative and refuse to admit or show you. You may never be sure if what he has is really tobacco. You may order them to remove anything that looks like tobacco.

IF a coach refuses to cooperate and remove the substance from his mouth you should not allow him to be restricted to the bench and keep tobacco in his mouth. The bench restriction is only for those that cooperate AND remove the dip. In these cases you should be able to get close enough to tell by sight and /or smell if it is tobacco. Give the coach the option to remove the dip and go to the bench or eject him if he refuses.

If your partner uses tobacco on school grounds before or during or after games that should be reported. Failure to report a partner using tobacco may result in a fine.

Please call me if you have any questions on this policy.

signed

Until I got this email, I thought that I knew the tobacco rule. I thought that this was an automatic ejection. Now I have to play some stupid a$$ game with the coach about inspecting the contents of his mouth. YUK!

I emailed my assignor and asked him wha the he!! was going on. What is wrong with an ejection? He informed me that if I ejected a coach for tobacco, the coach would have 25 witnesses lined up by the next day swearing an oath that the coach was not chewing tobacco.

(All this may have something to do with the discussion I mentioned last year regarding a right to use tobacco in Virginia. Remember when I introduced the subject along with right to carry firearms. Some guys are determined to prove that they can chew when and where they want since unlike smoking, they are harming no ones but themselves.)

Last year in one of my rare FED games, I ejected a coach for a clear violation of the rules. The ejection was overturned by the Virginia High School League (our state FED arm) and the mandatory sanctions suspended. My offense: I did not warn the coach that cheating was not allowed.

Maybe I should start enforcing armband restrictions. Then I could get banned from every school and not have to do FED ball anymore. With so many kids wearing the cloth and tape, I would be the only umpire enforcing this rule. Enforcing this rule would be a great way to end a high school career if that was the goal.

Peter
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by His High Holiness
Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:
Peter,

Good question. Quite honestly, I feel like a guest on a high school varsity field. I did all of seven FED games last year and that will be about what I end up working this year. I no longer have a feel for the what proper decorum is and I have told my assignor that I would be happy to work zero FED ball. I find the atmosphere and violation of of what I consider proper decorum to be irritating.

Let me give you an example. A couple of days ago, I received the following email regarding FED ball from my assignor. (It went out to about 200 umpires so I am not violating any confidence.)

To date there have been numerous reports of coaches using tobacco on the field or in their bench areas. As all of you should know from the Federation rules: tobacco use by coaches, players and umpires is prohibited. Considering how many reports I have gotten, I am shocked that to date not a single coach has been restricted to his bench and forced to remove the substance.

In addition, every local county, school system or park has their own set of rules governing and restricting the use of tobacco.

Finally our umpire association has a policy of imposing fines for umpires that use tobacco on school grounds. If you smoke or dip, you will be fined. If you have done that this year you most likely have already been fined.

Starting today if you see a coach that you suspect has a dip in his mouth:

1. First ask him if he does have tobacco in his mouth.
2. Make him remove it and restrict him to the dugout for the rest of the game.
3. Either call me or email me of the offence that evening.
4. If he refuses to show, admit or cooperate with you then you should restrict him to the bench for the remainder of the game. And report it to me.

DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY EJECT THE COACH.

Two weeks ago I sent all Ads an email informing them of this action. They overwhelmingly support this. Please be diligent in your enforcement of this rule. There will be times the coaches will be uncooperative and refuse to admit or show you. You may never be sure if what he has is really tobacco. You may order them to remove anything that looks like tobacco.

IF a coach refuses to cooperate and remove the substance from his mouth you should not allow him to be restricted to the bench and keep tobacco in his mouth. The bench restriction is only for those that cooperate AND remove the dip. In these cases you should be able to get close enough to tell by sight and /or smell if it is tobacco. Give the coach the option to remove the dip and go to the bench or eject him if he refuses.

If your partner uses tobacco on school grounds before or during or after games that should be reported. Failure to report a partner using tobacco may result in a fine.

Please call me if you have any questions on this policy.

signed

Until I got this email, I thought that I knew the tobacco rule. I thought that this was an automatic ejection. Now I have to play some stupid a$$ game with the coach about inspecting the contents of his mouth. YUK!

I emailed my assignor and asked him wha the he!! was going on. What is wrong with an ejection? He informed me that if I ejected a coach for tobacco, the coach would have 25 witnesses lined up by the next day swearing an oath that the coach was not chewing tobacco.

(All this may have something to do with the discussion I mentioned last year regarding a right to use tobacco in Virginia. Remember when I introduced the subject along with right to carry firearms. Some guys are determined to prove that they can chew when and where they want since unlike smoking, they are harming no ones but themselves.)

Last year in one of my rare FED games, I ejected a coach for a clear violation of the rules. The ejection was overturned by the Virginia High School League (our state FED arm) and the mandatory sanctions suspended. My offense: I did not warn the coach that cheating was not allowed.

Maybe I should start enforcing armband restrictions. Then I could get banned from every school and not have to do FED ball anymore. With so many kids wearing the cloth and tape, I would be the only umpire enforcing this rule. Enforcing this rule would be a great way to end a high school career if that was the goal.

Peter
I understand you completely Peter, I work in Connecticut.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Tape -- No.

Cloth -- Yes.

The difference is whether another player's finger could get caught underneath it.
We've been told to make them remove them, but I've seen lots of them worn during the games that I've watched.

I asked a kid to take his off the other day and he looked at me like I was crazy.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I make them take them off here in Oklahoma.. I get some "crazy" looks as well but they come off.

As far as the tobacco, not a problem so far with it but I would dump the person in a hearbeat.. Not affecting anyone else?? How bout making me sick to my stomach. I would rather chew dog crap.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 08:13am
In Memoriam

In Michigan high school athletics, the popular, colored wristband has been declared illegal per rules meetings.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

As a coach I remind my players that all jewelry including rubber bracelets must be removed before the game. In most pregames I've had this year the plate ump mentioned "are your players properly equipted?" It would seem to include any jewelry.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 03:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Those bracelets are not allowed in Illinois either. As a matter of fact, these "Livestrong" bracelets were addressed specifically in Rules Meetings to be outlawed and considered as jewelry. These are possibly safety issue as well.

As a multiple sport official I tend to have a different perspective than many here that only work baseball. Most issues like this are something the NF as a whole will outlaw. For those that work Football and Basketball have probably had to deal with these bracelets all year. Many players and coaches have played one if not both of those sports and I am sure they realize these pieces of rubber are not allowed. I have no problem telling kids to remove them.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

For our fed assoc those rubber bracelets come off. Softball and Baseball...