The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Officials Staying Of Floor For Handshake

The Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) has issued a new policy that requires officials to remain on the floor while the teams shake hands after a game. My board (IAABO) has advised not to do this.

Some assignors insist that we stay others have made it an individual choice. I have already lost seven games form one assignor due to my refusal to do this.

I was wondering if this policy is in effect in other states?
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 01:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M
The Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) has issued a new policy that requires officials to remain on the floor while the teams shake hands after a game. My board (IAABO) has advised not to do this.

Some assignors insist that we stay others have made it an individual choice. I have already lost seven games form one assignor due to my refusal to do this.

I was wondering if this policy is in effect in other states?
Nope, this is a Massachusetts thing. And this is a stupid policy. Officials should not be the sportsmanship policy outside of the game. This policy makes the officials more of a target than we already are after the game.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

I Quit

Sportsmanship has nothing to do with officiating in my opinion. Sportsmanship has to do with two teams or individuals engaged in a competition. Officiating is about professionalism. The day that reamining on the floor for a handshake comes to NY....I quit!
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

I used to stay on the court, let the players shake, then go to check the book, then leave the court. After having to endure some dirty looks from players/coaches I now make sure at the end of the 3rd quarter that everything is good with the book and inform the scorekeeper that unless they signal me that there is a problem that my partner and I are out of there when the game is over. Haven't had a problem with it.

To answer the post, I don't believe in Georgia we have to hang around and have not witnessed anyone at the varsity or sub-varsity doing so.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Postgame Handshake

Recommend you read the topic--Observing the Handshake--which was already started on this forum.

The MIAA should have sought the input of bball officials before they hastily implemented this policy. I hope they and the assigners whoo absolutely require our prsence are prepared to pay legal and insurance fees when something goes terribly wrong in a postgame setting.

There are many assigners for scholastic ball in MA--hopefully you can find one who is not so strict on requring officials to remain after a game concludes.