Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
At least intentional.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 07:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yup, at least intentional for excessive contact. depending on the game flow, possibly flagrant as well.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 07:43pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Looks like an intentional personal foul for excessive contact to me.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 07:44pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Yup, at least intentional for excessive contact. depending on the game flow, possibly flagrant as well.
Absolutely! Luckily the girl didn't appear to be hurt.....
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 09:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

The best part is the comment from someone in the stands who says, "If that's not a technical, I don't know what is". Guess what - he "doesn't know what is".
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

It must be friggin' cold in that gym...not only is the coach wearing a hoodie but has the hood up.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I love the comment from a fan . . . "c'mon ref, you've lost control of the game . . ." UH, OK . . .

As for the foul . . . at the very least it was an intentional foul . . . depending on the context, maybe flagrant.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

What in the HECK is wrong with the official in the key...standing there like a bump on a log, ready to administer the Free-Throw?

He's got the ball up to his face like he is embarrassed about his partner's call...he's standing there kicking his foot like a little school girl...his delay in administering the FT is bringing on all kinds of wrath.

OK...so it probably should have been an intentional...but, don't throw your partner under the bus with your silly antics...get the darn FT going.
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Thu Dec 20, 2007 at 12:19am.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 01:07am
Do not give a damn!!

He is probably giving her a minute to recover. Meaning that he is looking at her and it is obvious that she is probably hurting. Without a closer view of the official's face, I have to think that is the reason he is holding things up. And there also could be another issue that he is waiting to be completed.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

QUOTE=JRutledge]He is probably giving her a minute to recover. Meaning that he is looking at her and it is obvious that she is probably hurting. Without a closer view of the official's face, I have to think that is the reason he is holding things up. And there also could be another issue that he is waiting to be completed.

Peace[/QUOTE]

JRut...don't get me wrong. I'm not sitting up in the stands criticizing officials to fans, and I'm not on a fan blog to critique these officials. BUT, I am on an official forum where we discuss plays, rules, mechanics, etc. to help fellow officials. While this forum is open to the public i.e. fans...I believe the purpose of this site is to educate officials using tools such as constructive criticism. If some of this criticism is seen by the "public"...well, I hope that they realize that we are a fraternity trying to get better...not here to unjustly embarrass anybody. (At least most of the time)

Having said that...how many times have you strolled from the top of the key, right through all the players and down the middle of the FT lane to administer a FT? (Such as the official you are suggesting is sharp enough to give the girl a chance to clear her head) BTW...the girl jumped right up and walked, without a limp, to the line. (You and I would probably be down for a week)

How many times have you called a foul, such as the one shown in the video, and not closed down on the hard foul...to make sure there is no extracurricular activity...and to maybe have a word with the player who committed the hard foul?

My point is...there are lessons to be learned here...maybe it is just in your nature to put the lawyer hat on and defend the poor guys for their actions.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 09:53am
Lighten up, Francis.

Clearly an intentional. Borderline flagrant.

As to the administering official, it looks to me that it's possible that he's talking to one or two of the players and holding the ball so that the coach can't overhear what he's saying. Possibly telling a captain to get the fouler under control or something. I don't know.

I also agree with the "criticism" of the calling official not coming closer to the girls on the floor to make sure there's no extra activity.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Clearly an intentional. Borderline flagrant.

As to the administering official, it looks to me that it's possible that he's talking to one or two of the players and holding the ball so that the coach can't overhear what he's saying. Possibly telling a captain to get the fouler under control or something. I don't know.

I also agree with the "criticism" of the calling official not coming closer to the girls on the floor to make sure there's no extra activity.

To my eye, on the tape alone, it's flagrant. Would I have called it if I was there? I'd like to think I would. Not knowing what preceded all this I can only comment on the foul itself. It helped matters that the shooter bounced right up and luckily wasn't hurt.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 01:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Rookie,

I am giving a possible explanation. I tend to be a person that asks a lot of questions even when I am not 100% sure one way or another on what actually took place. I have no idea if that is what he is doing one way or another. It did look like a 2 man game but I could not completely tell that for sure based on the video. I am purely guessing as to what the official is doing. It is very possible that you are right. I am just giving the benefit of the doubt without better information. Of course I do not expect better information as the fact that none of us taped the video.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Why are we giving the brunt to the Lead? The trail in that situation (if it was indeed 2 person) needs to bust in and help out. All the lead saw was the defender's backside. The TRAIL had the best angle on the play, and should have come in strong if he felt it was intentional. Or at least conferred with the Lead if he felt the lead missed it.