The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Put me in the category that you can't be too sharp. I was probably the 23 year old kid when I was 23. I think my mechanics are a little more relaxed LOOKING (at least, from what I see on film), but I try to remain as sharp as possible. I hate it when I realize I got a little lazy in my signal mechanics.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 02:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
On the other hand, I'll take the tin soldier over the partner that blows the whistle, makes some kind of motion with his hands, mumbles something, and starts walking the other way.
Had this guy in some MS games last year. Really nice guy, but impossible to know what he's calling.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When reporting...it was the same thing....arm would come up to signal the number to the table and it was head high to the side....(rest of his crew and where I typically report is chest high and in front of me).
We are encouraged to report the numbers to our side and not in front of our chest. The theory being that the scorer can see the numbers better when they are not in front of our stripes.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
I ask in all seriousness, did he have his arms bent and arms out in front (like rock-em sock-em robots)? I ask because I went to a college camp this past summer, and there was this young kid there (not saying same kid, actually kid was from Mississippi), he was so robotic looking, almost exactly what you described and he held his arms in the above manner. Anyways, the clinicians, who are the cream-of-the-crop in women's basketball said he looked to robotic and described him as looking "silly". When I see young officials officiate like this, I try to tell them to relax and look more relaxed.
Joe...pretty much...I really thought his calls and that of his partners were fine but Rock-em-Sock-em robot or toy soldier would describe him pretty well.

Even when he would point to the spot for throw in, rather than use one or two fingers it was wrist cocked, thumb tucked in the "salute" form, palm up...almost the "gimme five" position....very rigid and he would hold it there until his partner got to the spot...almost as if he couldn't release it until he was there.

I've just not see an official appear this way...most guys I work with and watch seem loose. I feel bad discussing it, like I'm talking bad about him...this crew did a fine job...that was evident by the lack of barking by the coaches AND fans...they were almost transparent if you will...
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

...The R looked to be about 23 years old...kid had a baby face. I was thinking "Man, he's young for a V official"....

..The sharp mechanics are probably why he's doing varsity...
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

I was told at camp this past year that I was too mechanical, and it looked robotic. The evaluator told me that my mechanics were too precise and that I needed to make them more my own, "show my personality" were his exact words. My response was "thank you," and I made the change. It is an interesting take though, because in all my previous years at camps, I have never had an evaluator tell me I was too mechanical. Hmmmm . . .
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspaul
...The R looked to be about 23 years old...kid had a baby face. I was thinking "Man, he's young for a V official"....

..The sharp mechanics are probably why he's doing varsity...

You are exactly right, for that is how it goes in our area, it will be his ability to comunicate that will keep him there and beyound
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
I was thinking "Man, he's young for a V official"....
obviously someone thought he was capable to be working the game. I don't understand some of the older guys can't think just because we're young we can't referee.

my mechanics aren't as tight as they should be, but I'm working on it. I think I've gotten to where I've gotten because of my game and my mechanics.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2007, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace
obviously someone thought he was capable to be working the game. I don't understand some of the older guys can't think just because we're young we can't referee.

my mechanics aren't as tight as they should be, but I'm working on it. I think I've gotten to where I've gotten because of my game and my mechanics.
I don't think that ace....I've stated more than once he was a good ref......

I'm only 35 and in my 7th year...I don't consider myself young but I'm not old either...23 is young to me now a days....I'm 3 kids in and on my second mortgage, that's the part of me that's old!