View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
I ask in all seriousness, did he have his arms bent and arms out in front (like rock-em sock-em robots)? I ask because I went to a college camp this past summer, and there was this young kid there (not saying same kid, actually kid was from Mississippi), he was so robotic looking, almost exactly what you described and he held his arms in the above manner. Anyways, the clinicians, who are the cream-of-the-crop in women's basketball said he looked to robotic and described him as looking "silly". When I see young officials officiate like this, I try to tell them to relax and look more relaxed.
Joe...pretty much...I really thought his calls and that of his partners were fine but Rock-em-Sock-em robot or toy soldier would describe him pretty well.

Even when he would point to the spot for throw in, rather than use one or two fingers it was wrist cocked, thumb tucked in the "salute" form, palm up...almost the "gimme five" position....very rigid and he would hold it there until his partner got to the spot...almost as if he couldn't release it until he was there.

I've just not see an official appear this way...most guys I work with and watch seem loose. I feel bad discussing it, like I'm talking bad about him...this crew did a fine job...that was evident by the lack of barking by the coaches AND fans...they were almost transparent if you will...