The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Based on their baseball W-L record, maybe they should try that instead.
Hmm, you're right. They would certainly do better than the White Sox.

Cubs 85-77
White Sox 72-90

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
The assigner for the Catholic School Deanery games, in which I officiate, has told us that we will not get paid if he finds out that we let players play with illegal undershirts, and/or illegal headbands or wristbands. We have been told not to enforce the "Home White" rule. These players range from fifth grade through eighth grade.
Wow, any other non-enforcement issues the assigner won't pay officials that have officiated game?
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 07:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Catholic School Deanery Assigner

From Scrapper1: "This is probably not legal. If you work the game, you get paid. If the assignor doesn't like the job you do, he has every right not to invite you back. Don't put up with that kind of BS intimidation."

From MichaelVA2000: "Any other non-enforcement issues the assigner won't pay officials that have officiated game(s)?"

Scrapper1: It's not intimidating. It's the Deanery rule, and that's what we have been told to tell the coaches, especially at the beginning of the season, when they accuse us of being the "fashion police". The assigner works hard on our behalf, and he is a class act, please read on.

MichaelVA2000: There are financial penalties for showing up late: More than 10 minutes late, $7.00 reduction; Later than halftime, no fee.

Also: Game starts more than 10 minutes late, $7.00 additional payment: 20 minutes late, $12.00 additional payment.

Also: Schools agree not to solicit, and officials agree not to participate in, any raffle (50%-50%), contest, drawing, or any other fundraiser.

This assigner is very professional, almost like a high school assigner: availability sheets, which he wants updated, confirmation of assignments from officials, written rule differences (no press, or fast break, at certain points in the game, all players play, etc.), mandatory preseason officials meeting, and he scouts, and recruits, good young officials for Deanery games. He also recognizes, in terms of give-backs, that our high school assignments take top priority. Due to his work on our behalf, we get paid extremely well, even for fifth and sixth grade games, and the coaches, and athletic directors, respect us, realizing that they are getting high school varsity, or top rated junior varsity, officials, for elementary and middle school games.

These are the only games that I do, other than my high school varsity schedule, and the Special Olympics Unified Games (free). These Deanery games are great: good players, good coaching, big crowds, cheerleaders, great rivalries, post season tournament, etc., and they're all within a 20 minute drive from my home. Games vary between 6 and 7 minute periods, and most games are over in an hour. We are often assigned a "varsity" (seventh and eighth grade) doubleheader, or a "junior varsity" (fifth and sixth grade) triple, or quadrupleheader. We get paid for the high level, seventh and eighth grade games, at the site, usually in cash. We get paid for lower level games, fifth and sixth graders, at the end of the season, in one big check. This year, I plan to use my big check, from the lower level games, to purchase a high definition LCD televison, in the spring. If I don't get snowed out of a lot of games, I plan on getting a check for about $800.00.

This assigner, and this Deanery league, is a class act.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 19, 2007 at 07:44pm.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man
Wow, the assigner won't pay you if the players play with illegal adornments, but he doesn't want the home team wearing white?

Am I the only that questions the consistency of that logic?
Youth league...taking off an undershirt is free...making teams buy new uniforms is not.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
This is probably not legal. If you work the game, you get paid. If the assignor doesn't like the job you do, he has every right not to invite you back. Don't put up with that kind of BS intimidation.
How is it illegal. If I hire a painter to paint my house and he says it will take three days but he only paints 90% of what was agree upon but still takes three days, does he still deserve to be paid for the whole thing?

If you don't do all of the job you're hired to do, why should you get paid for it. In this case, the assignor is telling the officials what the expectations are and what they'll get paid for doing only part of the job he's hiring them for. I can't see how this is a problem if it is both made known and consistently enforced.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
How is it illegal. If I hire a painter to paint my house and he says it will take three days but he only paints 90% of what was agree upon but still takes three days, does he still deserve to be paid for the whole thing?

If you don't do all of the job you're hired to do, why should you get paid for it. In this case, the assignor is telling the officials what the expectations are and what they'll get paid for doing only part of the job he's hiring them for. I can't see how this is a problem if it is both made known and consistently enforced.
Under this logic: If this assignor is evaluating your game and decides that you missed calls, or were out of position on a rotation, weak on a signal mechanic or any other reason; you may be paid less or not at all since these duties are part of the job. Consistency with this logic would certainly add a few extra bucks in this association or assignor's pocket since the association is getting paid for the game having been officiated.

Mistakes could become very expensive for the independent contractor and lucrative for the association or assignor.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
Under this logic: If this assignor is evaluating your game and decides that you missed calls, or were out of position on a rotation, weak on a signal mechanic or any other reason; you may be paid less or not at all since these duties are part of the job. Consistency with this logic would certainly add a few extra bucks in this association or assignor's pocket since the association is getting paid for the game having been officiated.

Mistakes could become very expensive for the independent contractor and lucrative for the association or assignor.
You make a good point about how this could become capricious, but if the assignor states up front that the officials must adhere to X,Y, and Z or they will be fined an amount equal to one game fee, then I believe that is fair.

I would put it as the officials aren't being paid for working the game, I would administer it as a fine that was equal to the game fee. Probably just semantics, but a better justification in my opinion.