The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I'm from Indiana, any other questions?
You must have been from Northern Indiana.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 04:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiref8
Situation: Offensive player has ball, dribbling or not, defender guarding player continues yelling "ball, ball, ball, ball . . . . . ." or "Da, da, da . . . ."
I would like some guidance on this please.
Here's some - it's not golf.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 04:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
That is odd ... did you play basketball growing up (fair question)? If so, you surely would have encountered this somewhere along the way.
I saw it a few times in Iowa. Here in Colorado, I haven't seen it at all. So, a player/ref growing up in this particular area could easily go without seeing it, even over a period of years. I have a feeling this particular tactic is falling out of favor with coaches because it's not really effective and wastes a lot of wind on the defensive end.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I saw it a few times in Iowa. Here in Colorado, I haven't seen it at all. So, a player/ref growing up in this particular area could easily go without seeing it, even over a period of years. I have a feeling this particular tactic is falling out of favor with coaches because it's not really effective and wastes a lot of wind on the defensive end.
When I first started, 3 years ago, the ladies did it ALOT. So far this year only one girl did it for about 10 seconds. Her teammate told her to be quiet cause she missed the coach yelling out a defensive scheme .
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Situation: Offensive player has ball, dribbling or not, defender guarding player continues yelling "ball, ball, ball, ball . . . . . ." or "Da, da, da . . . ."

I stop play, and explain to both coaches that I view that type of behavior as un-sportsman like and doesn’t lend itself for the good of the game. I compared it to behavior that is allowed during free throw attempts. Communication, like " Ball" or "Switch" or "Pick" will be tolerated. Give both teams warning, next occurrence will result in Technical. One coach got very hot that he had not heard of this before. I told coach that he has the option of complying and has been warned without penalty.

I cannot find anything specific, and classify this under: 2005-2006 Rule Book Rule 10, Sec 3, Art 7 for Unsporting foul. Including but the limited to . . . . . .

I think your da, da, da is actually dead, dead, dead (unless your doing a two year old travel team) meaning a dead ball for dribbler. This alerts the defense to tighten up and put pressure on passing lanes and in some instances coach will yell dead to ensure defender is on ball looking for a five count.

Pretty routine basic stuff in my area.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Heh, I posted on this what, a week ago?

I've only worked 3 nights of JH games, but it seems to be pretty constant among only the girl's teams as well. Annoying as hell. I liken it to "chatter" in baseball, which has driven me nuts for years, but is some of the pointless crap you deal with in these games.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Well for my two cents, wouldn't bother me, in fact I would probably have to chuckle the first time the defender can't hear her teammate call out a screen and she Da' Da's her face right into a shoulder!
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 11:08pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I've seen this several times over the yrs. Mostly the "Ball, Ball, Ball" routine. Very annoying! I always wanted to go over to the coach and ask them if they ever saw it in college or the pros? And why do they teach or encourage it - other than to throw th other team off and be darn annoying?
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

every girls team in our area says "ball ball ball," over and over when defending a player...
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 12:23am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM_Ref
every girls team in our area says "ball ball ball," over and over when defending a player...
You have my condolences.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
You have my condolences.
lol ... thanks.

Actually it doesn't bother me. I've coached girls around here before and I actually taught it as well. It's not a big deal to me or most refs around here.

I don't think I've ever heard a complaint about this before today
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 09:25am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
That is odd ... did you play basketball growing up (fair question)? If so, you surely would have encountered this somewhere along the way.
I played HS ball in the '80s. The "ball ball ball" thing was non-existent then, even on the girls side. I've been reffing since the early '90s and it wasn't even used very much at that point. It's really only become prevalent over the last 10 years around here.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 10:28am
Huck Finn

Quote:
You must have been from Northern Indiana.
Northern, Southern it doesn't matter - I'm from Indiana and that is the only thing that matters concerning your question. Did you play growing up and where are you from?
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 11:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Northern, Southern it doesn't matter - I'm from Indiana and that is the only thing that matters concerning your question. Did you play growing up and where are you from?
We generally played baseball, football and basketball in Michigan.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 11:31am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Exclamation

Quote:

I stop play, and explain to both coaches that I view that type of behavior as un-sportsman like and doesn’t lend itself for the good of the game. I compared it to behavior that is allowed during free throw attempts. Communication, like " Ball" or "Switch" or "Pick" will be tolerated. Give both teams warning, next occurrence will result in Technical. One coach got very hot that he had not heard of this before. I told coach that he has the option of complying and has been warned without penalty.

I cannot find anything specific, and classify this under: 2005-2006 Rule Book Rule 10, Sec 3, Art 7 for Unsporting foul. Including but the limited to . . . . . .

My college coach taught the following:
"Ball" - Ball is loose or knocked loose.
"Tight" called repeatedly - Ball handler has no dribble now.
"Shot" - Box out and go for the rebound.

Hearing "Ball," "dead," "tight," etc. all game may be annoying, but to call it unsporting is a bit of a stretch, IMO.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Sun Dec 16, 2007 at 06:38pm.