The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

FED rules. Girls JH City Championship GAme.

Player A drives to the basket, Player A1 gets between Player A and Player B , and then moves parallel with Player A all the way to hte basket. Little to no contact. This is a designed play . It happened several times. I had nothing. Am I missing something ? My partner seemed to think it should be an illegal screen but there was little to no contact so I had nothing.

Any opinions on this ?
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

The infamous "Moving Screen". Not a violation unless contact is made. The amount of contact allowed is up to the discretion of thousands of guys/gals wearing the stripes. IMO you are 100% correct.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Awfully hard to call illegal screen when there is little or possibly no contact. Good no call, IMO.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

For a moving screen to be called there has to be contact. Most coaches don't understand this. IMO you were right.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Just curious, was A1 facing B or did she have her back to B when cutting to the basket alongside of A?
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

So if this situation is happening, what do you tell player B to do? Run into A to get the foul?
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 04:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally posted by Spareme
So if this situation is happening, what do you tell player B to do? Run into A to get the foul?
Not a good idea to give any advice to a player in this situation. That's the coach's job. Most I would do, if asked by the coach, is as briefly and concisely as possible explain why there has been no foul called.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 04:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

This point needs to be made. If A1 got in front of B1 and both are moving in the same direction, any contact that occurs is the responsibility of B1, not A1 (the screener).

Rule 10-6-3d

Peace
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Screener

The screener had her back to the defensive player. It seems to be a pretty ingenius play. Can't figure out why I haven't seen it more.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 05:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

How you set the screen is not ever an issue. The point is that any player can set a screen from any direction within limits.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
How you set the screen is not ever an issue. The point is that any player can set a screen from any direction within limits.

Peace
So... I can dribble behind a wedge of teammates who just happen to be running down the lane looking to get set up offensively?
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Screener

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
The screener had her back to the defensive player. It seems to be a pretty ingenius play. Can't figure out why I haven't seen it more.
Where was the defender of the screener? A quick switch by the defenders would have countered that strategy, which is probably why you don't see it more.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 06:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Not understanding your terminology.

Quote:
Originally posted by PGCougar
So... I can dribble behind a wedge of teammates who just happen to be running down the lane looking to get set up offensively?
What do you mean dribble behind a wedge?

If you get to a spot before another player, you can set a screen if both of you are going in the same direction and not be charged for a foul. If a player behind runs into the "screener" than the foul is on the player being screened in this situation.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 06:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:

Peace
Why not? It's perfectly legal until contact is made. And even then, you have to judge any ensuing contact using guarding and screening principles. Once any player on the floor has established a straight-line path, no matter what direction that path is taking, then no opponent can crowd that player out of their path from the side. An opponent has to get in front of the player and establish an initial guarding position. If you jump in front of a moving player trying to establish your guarding position, then you gotta allow a maximum of two steps for that player to stop or go around you.

Iow, if you want to break up that wedge, you'd better get some defenders out in front of them. If you try to move them out of their established path from the side, the foul is gonna be on you. That's the point that was being made above, I think.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Not understanding your terminology.

Quote:
Quote:
What do you mean dribble behind a wedge?

If you get to a spot before another player, you can set a screen if both of you are going in the same direction and not be charged for a foul. If a player behind runs into the "screener" than the foul is on the player being screened in this situation.

Peace
I was kidding around using a football term tongue-in-cheek and the only emoticon I could find was the wink. There isn't any emoticon for tongue-in-cheek.