The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Defender verbal during play. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40396-defender-verbal-during-play.html)

wiref8 Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:58am

Defender verbal during play.

Situation: Offensive player has ball, dribbling or not, defender guarding player continues yelling "ball, ball, ball, ball . . . . . ." or "Da, da, da . . . ."

I stop play, and explain to both coaches that I view that type of behavior as un-sportsman like and doesn’t lend itself for the good of the game. I compared it to behavior that is allowed during free throw attempts. Communication, like " Ball" or "Switch" or "Pick" will be tolerated. Give both teams warning, next occurrence will result in Technical. One coach got very hot that he had not heard of this before. I told coach that he has the option of complying and has been warned without penalty.

I cannot find anything specific, and classify this under: 2005-2006 Rule Book Rule 10, Sec 3, Art 7 for Unsporting foul. Including but the limited to . . . . . .

I would like some guidance on this please.

mick Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiref8
Situation: Offensive player has ball, dribbling or not, defender guarding player continues yelling "ball, ball, ball, ball . . . . . ." or "Da, da, da . . . ."

I stop play, and explain to both coaches that I view that type of behavior as un-sportsman like and doesn’t lend itself for the good of the game. I compared it to behavior that is allowed during free throw attempts. Communication, like " Ball" or "Switch" or "Pick" will be tolerated. Give both teams warning, next occurrence will result in Technical. One coach got very hot that he had not heard of this before. I told coach that he has the option of complying and has been warned without penalty.

I cannot find anything specific, and classify this under: 2005-2006 Rule Book Rule 10, Sec 3, Art 7 for Unsporting foul. Including but the limited to . . . . . .

I have absolutely no problem with the defender *constantly yelling" with unobjectionable verbiage.
Perhaps your are tending to be an overly officious official ? :)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:17pm

Quote:

wiref8:

You will not find anything in the rules regarding this situation because there is not rule against it. You weren't just be overly officious, you were trying to impose a rule that does not exist. Remember, you have nothing until you have something and you had nothing.

MTD, Sr.

wiref8 Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:37pm

Thanks for the feeback.

Thanks for the feedback. I just found the behavior in this situation out of the ordinary(never had seen such a persistent effort by a defender) in all the games I have officiated.

I am glad to get contrary feedback, I received positive reinforcement in the manner I handled the situation from other officials in the tournament that I know. Maybe it is a matter of standing up for each other. I am glad that I asked.

Thanks for the piece of humble pie.

Jurassic Referee Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:37pm

Quote:

Nothing the matter with it.....

Don't be a plumber.

Johnny Ringo Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:41pm

In response to never having seen this or out of the ordinary!

Perhaps if you had played basketball at some level you would know this is something that is taught to do and has been practice for many, many years.

tomegun Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
In response to never having seen this or out of the ordinary!

Perhaps if you had played basketball at least at the high school varsity level you would know this is something that is taught to do and has been practice for many, many years.

And exactly how did this add to the thread?

Johnny Ringo Sat Dec 15, 2007 01:06pm

Not sure ... but, found it quite odd that someone had never seen this or heard of it before. It's one of the first things you are taught as a player.

tomegun Sat Dec 15, 2007 01:11pm

Quote:

Not sure ... but, found it quite odd that someone had never seen this or heard of it before. It's one of the first things you are taught as a player.

Until recently, I've never heard of anything but girls' teams doing it. Is that odd? I have heard about communication on defense that may require an occasional, "Ball" now and then.

Johnny Ringo Sat Dec 15, 2007 01:34pm

That is odd ... did you play basketball growing up (fair question)? If so, you surely would have encountered this somewhere along the way.

mick Sat Dec 15, 2007 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun
Until recently, I've never heard of anything but girls' teams doing it. Is that odd? I have heard about communication on defense that may require an occasional, "Ball" now and then.

Just for the record, I talked (though, not yelling) to my guy through the entire game in the mid-60s. It felt necessary for me to advise him what to do with the ball and when he he was getting into some deep doo-doo. :cool:

tomegun Sat Dec 15, 2007 01:44pm

Quote:

That is odd ... did you play basketball growing up (fair question)? If so, you surely would have encountered this somewhere along the way.

I'm from Indiana, any other questions?

tomegun Sat Dec 15, 2007 01:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick
Just for the record, I talked (though, not yelling) to my guy through the entire game in the mid-60s. It felt necessary for me to advise him what to do with the ball and when he he was getting into some deep doo-doo. :cool:

Yeah, you talked, but did you constantly say, "Ball, ball, ball?" I talked too (much) when I played. I'm still willing to tell anyone who will listen that on most nights I'm the best 3-point shooter in the gym. No, seriously!

mick Sat Dec 15, 2007 01:56pm

Quote:

Yeah, you talked, but did you constantly say, "Ball, ball, ball?" I talked too (much) when I played. I'm still willing to tell anyone who will listen that on most nights I'm the best 3-point shooter in the gym. No, seriously!

Ha, sometimes, but not often! My constant repeats were more likely "Shoot it, shoot it, shoot it." :)

Mregor Sat Dec 15, 2007 03:26pm

Quote:

That was my first thought when I read the OP (must have been a girls game).

Mregor