The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 26, 2001, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Happy Holidays to everyone out there. I am a 2nd year official who happened upon this site and have been enjoying the discussions on it for a few weeks. I have had some situations come up in my games that I would like to present and get your imput on them.

1. Ball is placed at disposal of A1 at free throw line. During a preshot dribble, A1 loses control of the ball and ball rolls towards baseline. I blew my whistle, gave the ball back to A1, and restarted the throw. Was that correct?

2. A1 and A2 simutaneously rebound a shot and come to the floor with both possessing the ball. Neither move feet while in possession. Is this a travel or not? I remember growing up playing ball hearing parents and coaches say this is traveling, but why would it be?

3. A1 is inbounding from a spot. How much foot movement is allowed by A1 while inbounding the ball? Can both feet move, if so how far from the spot can they move to? Or just 1 move like having a pivot foot while inbounding?

Three questions are enough for now. I think this is a great site, and a great resource for young officials. Keep up the good work everyone.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2001, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
1. Yes...Give the kid a chance to shoot

2. NO travel.....nobody ever moved a foot

3. The designated throw in spot is 3 feet wide. Therefore, you can safely allow the thrower to move a half step in either direction before releasing the ball. There is no pivot foot in this situation.

BTW....welcome to our little world.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2001, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

In #2, the only way you can have a travel when 2 (or 3, or 4, etc.) players (from any team) are touching the ball is if an individual comitts a travelling violation.

For #3, just so you know, the 3 foot wide "spot" is as deep as the player wants (up to the wall or the stands). They can move their feet as much as they want within the 3 feet, and if they do violate, it is NOT a travel! (It's a spot violation.)
Old Wed Dec 26, 2001, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Yes, I agree w/ Air JC, this is a good resource that I have found, I ask questions and learn from others mistakes/occurences in their game. Whenever lots of officials gather together, it is a valuable tool. Thank you all for your input, I have learned a lot, and as the old saying goes, we wouldn't have started if we knew how little we really knew (I think that is how it goes)

Doug
Old Wed Dec 26, 2001, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Air JC
Happy Holidays to everyone out there. I am a 2nd year official who happened upon this site and have been enjoying the discussions on it for a few weeks. I have had some situations come up in my games that I would like to present and get your imput on them.

1. Ball is placed at disposal of A1 at free throw line. During a preshot dribble, A1 loses control of the ball and ball rolls towards baseline. I blew my whistle, gave the ball back to A1, and restarted the throw. Was that correct?

2. A1 and A2 simutaneously rebound a shot and come to the floor with both possessing the ball. Neither move feet while in possession. Is this a travel or not? I remember growing up playing ball hearing parents and coaches say this is traveling, but why would it be?

3. A1 is inbounding from a spot. How much foot movement is allowed by A1 while inbounding the ball? Can both feet move, if so how far from the spot can they move to? Or just 1 move like having a pivot foot while inbounding?

Three questions are enough for now. I think this is a great site, and a great resource for young officials. Keep up the good work everyone.
Here are the casebook references to your questions.

1. 9.1 on page 60.

2. 4.43.2SITUATION B on page 33. They can even move 1 foot each and still not travel.

3. 7.6.2 on page 54.

Oh and welcome to the forum.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2001, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
3. The designated throw in spot is 3 feet wide. Therefore, you can safely allow the thrower to move a half step in either direction before releasing the ball. There is no pivot foot in this situation.
Not that you're wrong but I think that's a little misleading. As long as one foot stays on or over the 3 foot area, the other foot can be as far away as the player can stretch, not just a half step. The space is 36 inches wide. If the left foot is touching anywhere within the spot, even as wide as the outside edge, and the right foot is extended 3 feet beyond, the player is still legal as long as the left foot stays on or over the spot.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 26, 2001, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Not that you're wrong but I think that's a little misleading. As long as one foot stays on or over the 3 foot area, the other foot can be as far away as the player can stretch, not just a half step. The space is 36 inches wide. If the left foot is touching anywhere within the spot, even as wide as the outside edge, and the right foot is extended 3 feet beyond, the player is still legal as long as the left foot stays on or over the spot.
I can't argue a bit with your clarification. Well done.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2001, 10:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Here's today's riddle

But - can the inbounder lift one foot and break the plane as long as the other foot is on or over the spot?

I know the answer. Do you?

OK, I'll be more specific - do you know the correct answer?
Old Thu Dec 27, 2001, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Riddle

As long as the foot which breaks the plane does not touch the floor inbounds, it's legal. (NF 9-2-11 Note)
Old Thu Dec 27, 2001, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Nice Challenge (Riddle) Mark P

Mark D.

I read that same rule last night (at 2am, I believe) and it just did not sink in as the correct response.

Nice job Mark(s)!