Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
In 2 man mechanics there could be a grey area... If your breaking, and the ball is thrown down court and b1 just clobers a2 but new trail doesn't see it cause its technically in new leads area... that can pose problems....

Would anybody here disagree with a back pedal on the last 2 or 3 steps??.. that way you are turned around and in pos but you also have a very good idea of what is behind you cause you just turned around.??
Generally, a fast break is going to be down the center of the court, or toward the basket, in other words, toward the center. If you get enough ahead of the action, you can afford to be wide enough to get the angle. Also, if you're fairly wide, you can sort of cut off the corner of the court as you set up off gthe endline, and you'll be looking back with a comfortable angle.

If the action really is down the sideline, and it's really the frontmost action so that it really needs to be yours, get far enough ahead of the action that you can stop, plant both feet facing the action, watch, and then turn and run as needed. Let the play go past you as you stand, if necessary.

Go to some good quality 2-whistle games and see how the best refs do it. Follow their example.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 11:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
In 2 man mechanics there could be a grey area... If your breaking, and the ball is thrown down court and b1 just clobers a2 but new trail doesn't see it cause its technically in new leads area... that can pose problems....

Would anybody here disagree with a back pedal on the last 2 or 3 steps??.. that way you are turned around and in pos but you also have a very good idea of what is behind you cause you just turned around.??
I do not recall that someone is suggesting that if you backpedal a step or two is a bad thing. We are talking about going all the way down court or trying to beat someone to a spot by backpedaling. But I would not recommend that you backpedal as a habit because you have less of a chance seeing where you are going. And if the examples given do not convince you, then I do not know what to tell you.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 11:51am
Ch1town

Quote:

Ummm yes, during transition from T to L, I would strongly suggest getting to the endline & being ready to accept the play before the ball crosses the division line. Challenge yourself to do this & you will see that the need/want/desire to backpedal will be eliminated.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Ummm yes, during transition from T to L, I would strongly suggest getting to the endline & being ready to accept the play before the ball crosses the division line. Challenge yourself to do this & you will see that the need/want/desire to backpedal will be eliminated.
Yes.. that is always my goal.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 11:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Before the ball crosses the division line? That is a little early if you ask me. Even in 3 Person that can be difficult. If that is expected, then people will forget to close down on a shot.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 12:10pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Before the ball crosses the division line?
Yes sir, that's how it's done in the city.

That is a little early if you ask me. Even in 3 Person that can be difficult.
JRut you're not really that old are you?

If that is expected, then people will forget to close down on a shot.
Peace
FTR, the "endline before division line" technique includes closing down prior & not bailing out.
Not saying I get there everytime, but it's pretty darn close! Assignors & coaches alike certainly notice ones hustle when doing this, compared to backpeddaling or consistently trailing the play.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

I think we need better athletes wearing stripes. I used to back pedal, but now I slide like a defensive player.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
FTR, the "endline before division line" technique includes closing down prior & not bailing out.
Not saying I get there everytime, but it's pretty darn close! Assignors & coaches alike certainly notice ones hustle when doing this, compared to backpeddaling or consistently trailing the play.
So I'm trail near division line and suddenly a steal and a throw down court to a streaking 18 year old male athlete and I'm expected to be in position 'A' to accept play?

On a steal, I may have a tussle for ball right in front of me. I'm not immediately bailing out and leaving the 'scene'. I understand hustling into position, but I think your clinicians are being a little unrealistic.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 12:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I don't think Ch1 is saying it's an expected thing. It reads to me more like a personal goal, one that increases hustle. It's the hustle that gets noticed by evaluators, not the timing of his arrival to the endline.

I don’t think it's a bad goal to have, as long as one keeps it in perspective, which it seems he is.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I don't think Ch1 is saying it's an expected thing. It reads to me more like a personal goal, one that increases hustle. It's the hustle that gets noticed by evaluators, not the timing of his arrival to the endline.

I don’t think it's a bad goal to have, as long as one keeps it in perspective, which it seems he is.
I read it as what's expected from assignors. Just a matter of wording perhaps as we all have same goal.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Do not back pedal
We do not teach this in our association
I do observe and tell officials not good
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 12:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
First of all I am not old at all as it relates to other officials and I am in much better shape than the vast majority of officials as well (even those with less experience in officiating). Having said that even in the best situations, I am not going to be down at the Lead position before the ball crosses the division line. For one all the players are not going to be that far down and I will put myself out of positions for other actions. And when you have steals and quick transitions, I feel that is very unrealistic and trying to achieve that is going to be very hard for even the most athletic official. If you are closing down on shot, it makes it even more difficult. I have no problem getting ahead of the ball, but not getting to the end line before the ball gets to the division line.

Now this might be an area concept and that is fine. We teach officials all the time, "You will get beat and it is OK" so stay and officiate the play appropriately. I have even been to college camps and I have never had someone suggest being that quick.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
First of all I am not old at all as it relates to other officials and I am in much better shape than the vast majority of officials as well (even those with less experience in officiating).
I can vouge for JRut having met him in person. He is definatly in shape.

(not that I was checkin him out or anything like that)

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 01:19pm
Ch1town

Alrighty then...

I was just suggesting a method that would help eliminate the original topic "backpedaling".

Crossing over from a wreck league ref to an official, my mentor suggested that I attempt to get there as often as possible to help break that bad habit of backpedaling. And it really works for me, as there is no need to run backwards if you're already there. Not a requirement by any means, but it's hardly frowned upon either. Small things like hustle & appearance can go a long way!
Of course, there are some situations where it just wont happen ie: quick steal going the other way.

Didn't think that needed to spelled out, but I am posting on officiating.com now aren't I.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Judge the backpedaler on a case-by-case situation. Maybe the official was never told. Maybe the official never heard about officials camps. Maybe the official is doing his best.
When you put all backpedalers in the *rank beginner* class, you are not doing justice to other skills they bring to the game.

You are correct, I'll rephrase it by saying in my opinion when someone backpedals they have never received proper instruction whether they are new or a long time official.
Closed Thread