The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 02:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'll bet he doesn't back pedal any more.

The problem isn't necessarily that you're more likely to fall (even though I think it's true) or that your less able to see where you're going (even though I think that's true as well). The problem is if you do fall, your ability to catch yourself is severely compromised. What happens if you lose balance just as you're heading across the baseline into lead position? You're going into the wall head first and will be lucky if a week of ICU is all you get.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 02:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Hopefully, phansen can count votes!
Why would you doubt that he could? Does he live in Florida?
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I'll bet he doesn't back pedal any more.

The problem isn't necessarily that you're more likely to fall (even though I think it's true) or that your less able to see where you're going (even though I think that's true as well). The problem is if you do fall, your ability to catch yourself is severely compromised. What happens if you lose balance just as you're heading across the baseline into lead position? You're going into the wall head first and will be lucky if a week of ICU is all you get.
Yea, and then how would you finish your game? Now the kids don't have their full compliment of officials. STOP BACK PEDALING FOR THE KIDS!! It's for the kids, Man!!
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
Yea, and then how would you finish your game? Now the kids don't have their full compliment of officials. STOP BACK PEDALING FOR THE KIDS!! It's for the kids, Man!!
I think you meant to say "full complement of officials." The words "compliment" and "officials" are not often found in the same sentence.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Physics

I guess I am failing to see something: Someone is backpedaling and trips over someone/something/a line because he/she can't see where he/she is running. How is running forward but turning back to watch play going to keep you from tripping/running over someone/something on the court? If you are truly looking back at the play you can't see where you are going. And, unless you are completely wide (running the line on the sideline), when running and looking backwards you cannot see the whole court. And, if you are running the sidelines, I think you stand a better chance of colliding with the coach who is usually right on the sideline. I am not advocating running backwards, but, I'd like to find who made the rule and the reasoning behind this makes a ref look less professional. Having done both, I can most certainly see much more of the court backpedaling vs turning and running.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
Had a fellow official do it at a camp where games were going on two courts about 5 feet apart, player went for a loose ball slid into his court and took him out...the first thing to hit the floor was the back of his head. Skull fracture, brain swelling, surgery, and a week in ICU followed. It was six months before he could go back to his regular job and over a year before he reffed again.
That should be the only post needed to tell anyone how stupid backpedaling is.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski
I guess I am failing to see something: Someone is backpedaling and trips over someone/something/a line because he/she can't see where he/she is running. How is running forward but turning back to watch play going to keep you from tripping/running over someone/something on the court? If you are truly looking back at the play you can't see where you are going. And, unless you are completely wide (running the line on the sideline), when running and looking backwards you cannot see the whole court. And, if you are running the sidelines, I think you stand a better chance of colliding with the coach who is usually right on the sideline. I am not advocating running backwards, but, I'd like to find who made the rule and the reasoning behind this makes a ref look less professional. Having done both, I can most certainly see much more of the court backpedaling vs turning and running.
Can you run faster running forward or backpedaling?

Can you get out of a player's way more easily if you're running forward or back pedaling?

Can you turn your head more easily and see where you're going if your running forward or backpedaling?

Can you more easily catch yourself if you stumble if you're running forward or backpedaling?

If you can see the positives from running forward by answering those 4 questions, then you're damn sure missing something.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef

Can you get out of a player's way more easily if you're running forward or back pedaling?

Can you turn your head more easily and see where you're going if your running forward or backpedaling?

Can you more easily catch yourself if you stumble if you're running forward or backpedaling?

If you can see the positives from running forward by answering those 4 questions, then you're damn sure missing something.

This is great but add one last one...

When running down the floor and end up running into a coach, player, or cheerleader...Can you recover better hiiting them going forward or by back pedaling?
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 03:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
It's simple, really. If you trip running backwards, your odds of a head injury go up exponentially because you can't catch yourself. If you trip with just your head turned, you might break an arm or something catching yourself, but at least you'll still recognize your family when it's over.

My final take. If you don't understant why, then take the vast experience here on this board to heart, and avoid it for that reason.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 03:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I guess I am failing to see something: Someone is backpedaling and trips over someone/something/a line because he/she can't see where he/she is running. How is running forward but turning back to watch play going to keep you from tripping/running over someone/something on the court?
Multiple posts have mentioned balance. [Running backwards and tripping vs. running forward and tripping.] Think about it.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef

1. I cant run fast forwards or backpedaling.
2. Running forward. But refer to #1.
3. If I turn my head to see where I am going I take my eye off the play.
4. If I fall when backpedaling or running I wont catch myself, the floor will.

I just find it interesting that "backpedaling" is deemed inappropriate behavior for a ref when you can see so much more of the court backpedaling vs running. I would think the answer would be more situational. But, as this forum shows, sometimes its more important to impress other refs than our employers, the schools. Rock on!

Last edited by lmeadski; Sun Dec 16, 2007 at 03:15pm.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Multiple posts have mentioned balance. [Running backwards and tripping vs. running forward and tripping.] Think about it.
Can't argue the balance point. I was referring to the "inexperienced" or "amateur" ref tag given to backpedaling. I can see more of the court backpedaling and do it on occasion, esp on a fast break and I am lead with play moving up my sideline. I can't see the play well enough by running up the court and turning back to see. Maybe I need some neck flexibility stretches.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 03:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The answer is to get wider. It's not about "impressing your employers" verses impressing the other refs. It's about safety, and best practices learned from years of hard experiences and moments of really bad experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imeadski
4. If I fall when backpedaling or running I wont catch myself, the floor will.
Cute, but beside the point. The point is, would you rather the floor catch the back of your head or your arms?
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Get wider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
The answer is to get wider. It's not about "impressing your employers" verses impressing the other refs. It's about safety, and best practices learned from years of hard experiences and moments of really bad experiences.

Cute, but beside the point. The point is, would you rather the floor catch the back of your head or your arms?
I don't disagree with this. It just seems that as I "get wider" I get into the coaches who like to roam the outside boundaries of the coaches boxes. I have fallen twice and both times were collisions with coaches. And, I appreciate your comments about safety. I take certain exception to the professionalism knocks.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 03:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Can't argue the balance point. I was referring to the "inexperienced" or "amateur" ref tag given to backpedaling. I can see more of the court backpedaling and do it on occasion, esp on a fast break and I am lead with play moving up my sideline. I can't see the play well enough by running up the court and turning back to see. Maybe I need some neck flexibility stretches.
I guess it does take some practice, ...like when the best quarterback in the neighborhood make you "Go long" on every play.
Closed Thread